Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

The other day my girlfriend got

is it real?

what kind of a question is that like no she wakes up every morning and draws a Russian doll on her thigh before she leaves the house

An old man once asked me, back when I had only one on my leg, if it was an Irish transfer. I had no idea what he was talking about. I'm in Canada, no one calls press on tattoos "transfers" and what the hell is an Irish one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An old man once asked me, back when I had only one on my leg, if it was an Irish transfer. I had no idea what he was talking about. I'm in Canada, no one calls press on tattoos "transfers" and what the hell is an Irish one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha no idea, I said he was probably creeping on her and she thinks he was just curious

So I have been away for over a week on vacation, no internet. Logged on today, saw that there was a bunch of posts in this thread, and started to catch up. Got halfway through @mmikaoj 's post and decided to leave it until tonight after my son's soccer practice.

While there I was talking to my buddy's wife, who apparently hasn't seen me in shorts since December. So I proceeded to answer just about every single question on here - pain, cost, meaning, where, why, etc., etc.

Started out like this:

Her- "Whoa, when did you get that?!?

Me - "December"

Her- "What's the meaning??"

Me - "It means I have an awesome panther on my leg. With a sword. And some roses."

Her - "Oh, three roses! For your wife and two kids.

Me - "Uh....OK"

I felt like the conversation was happening because of this thread.

I'm getting really tired of the conversations that start with "Oh I like your arm... even though I'm not really into tattoos... [going into a long discussion of why they don't want my tattoos]"

Honestly if you aren't into tattoos why do you feel the need to talk to me about them?

That and the "I'd get a tattoo but I'm afraid of needles..."

le sigh....

My cousin is a lovely, intelligent young man, but he just asked me for shop recommendations and then described a project that combines almost everything listed in the "most hated tattoo requests" thread. I'm trying to gently persuade him to describe what he wants to convey and leave as much of the actual design to the artist as possible. And to get tattooed with me in Portsmouth so I can buy him a drink afterward. (He just turned 21.)

I'm getting really tired of the conversations that start with "Oh I like your arm... even though I'm not really into tattoos... [going into a long discussion of why they don't want my tattoos]"

I got this the other day, but the "excuse" was pretty funny. He's older now (>50) and he'd wanted a tattoo as a late teen and came home with a cross on his arm that he'd drawn on with a permanent marker. His father, as expected, assumed it was real and hit the roof. As he described the scene and the layout of the dinner table area where his father discovered the travesty, he was clearly boxed in by the radiator and the wall and the rest of the family. His father then proceeded to grab steel wool and scrubbed it off his arm, along with a layer of skin before he realized he'd been had. The teller of the tale said he didn't want to get a tattoo after that. All-in-all, not a bad excuse and completely forgivable because he told the story with such vigor and humor!

My cousin is a lovely, intelligent young man, but he just asked me for shop recommendations and then described a project that combines almost everything listed in the "most hated tattoo requests" thread. I'm trying to gently persuade him to describe what he wants to convey and leave as much of the actual design to the artist as possible. And to get tattooed with me in Portsmouth so I can buy him a drink afterward. (He just turned 21.)

When I first started researching tattoos I had a bunch of dumb cliche symbolic type ideas. I looked through a bunch of online portfolios looking for an artist that made tattoos similar to my idea but I kept thinking "wow these japanese pieces are really cool/powerful. i wish i could get something like that...." Then I got a koi half sleeve, then some traditional pieces, then a hannya sleeve, more traditional, more japanese. So I think the solution is to force your cousin to look through portfolios and instagram accounts that are overflowing with great tattoos.

Honestly if you aren't into tattoos why do you feel the need to talk to me about them?

That and the "I'd get a tattoo but I'm afraid of needles..."

le sigh....

I think this is an insecurity thing. Some people think anyone with a tattoo is automatically braver or something, so they feel the need to justify why they don't have one.

When I first started researching tattoos I had a bunch of dumb cliche symbolic type ideas. I looked through a bunch of online portfolios looking for an artist that made tattoos similar to my idea but I kept thinking "wow these japanese pieces are really cool/powerful. i wish i could get something like that...." Then I got a koi half sleeve, then some traditional pieces, then a hannya sleeve, more traditional, more japanese. So I think the solution is to force your cousin to look through portfolios and instagram accounts that are overflowing with great tattoos.

I agree with this solution along with encouraging not to just only look at tattoos.

Encourage your cousin to check out different mediums of art as a form of inspiration or idea hunting.

I think this is an insecurity thing. Some people think anyone with a tattoo is automatically braver or something, so they feel the need to justify why they don't have one.

Sometimes I think it's the opposite - that they frown on people with tattoos, but YOUR tattoo is okay in their book so you are somehow the exception to their negative opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I had one of my favorite feisty retirees yell at me about my lower leg tattoo today. "WHAT is THAT on your leg?! Why would you do that?! Your leg looked perfectly beautiful before! THAT LOOKS TERRIBLE!!" I just thanked her for her input and we got back to discussing books. I think we're still friends.

This same person once body-checked a customer in line ahead of her. She's a bit of a firecracker.

All kinds of jerks walking around the city today. There seems to be something in the air this afternoon. I hope that otherwise today went well with Franz!

Yeah, seriously! He wasn't hostile, was more like pleading with me, but I snapped at him "because I like it!" I was hot and on a mission to find water.

I'm about 2 mins away from getting tattooed by him. Excited!

The other week I found myself talking to this guy who was collecting cans and bottles on the street (to get the refund) about my tattoos. He just walked up and asked what I paid for them. I was so surprised so I told him some number close to what it might have been (I'm not really counting this..) and he was so shocked. He later told me that he wanted to get the names of his father, mother and sisters tattooed on his arm and asked me if 50 euro would be a good price for this. I told him Yes. We talked in length about why someone would get tattooed and spend all this money. He confessed he wanted to get gold chains around his neck, "like in America, rappers!" He also described a friend of his who "lived like a pig" but drove a BMW.

Just some hours later I was sitting on a bench with a friend when a bunch of drunk girls, a bit younger than me, walked by. One of the girls stopped like she had hit a glass wall and exclaimed "Are those tattoos! I love them!", while pointing at my legs. She proceeded to touch my tattoos and grab hold of my legs, lifting them and twisting them to see better. I have never had a stranger do this to me before so I was too surprised to tell her not to. After a while one of her, slightly less drunk, friends grabbed hold of her shoulders and guided her away from me. The whole encounter was strange.