Black/grey now, color later?

iowagirl

Been trying to decide what I want to do next, so have been browsing, looking for ideas that click with me. I've seen a lot of black and gray, sometimes w/red or dark red accents. I really love those-usually they're flowers, and that's what I want-more flowers. All of my other tattoos are color. Would it look funny to have some on my upper arms/back be color and some in black/gray? And could color be added down the road if they're done in b/g?

I don't think it would look funny to have both, as long as there is enough black in your tattoos to tie it all together. Feasibly you could add color to black and grey tattoos, but they would probably come out really dark, as b&g tattoos are usually designed with black to negative gradients throughout the whole piece. I'm sure there are tattooers who could do a good job of it if they had to. Honestly, I'd just pick one or the other. For what it's worth, I do love black tattoos with one or two colors in them. Super bold and striking.

Thanks-I figured that's how it would be, b/c of the gradients of black. I love color in general, but the b/g tattoos I've seen really are so incredibly striking to me that I think I just need to go for it! Might make my colored ones up there stand out even more too.

Maybe one side of my upper back/shoulder/upper arm in color and the other side I b/g w/bits of color?

Dead on @cltattooing. Embrace the permanence. Color over black and grey tends toward darkness so it is best to pick one and commit. As far as mixing color pieces with black and grey pieces or b&g w colored accents, I say go for it. The surrounding work can be considered and they will all look at home together.

Not sure if I should make a new thread, but Ray(artist) and I spoke briefly about adding some color to my masks.. It was brought up because the rest the work on my left arm and likely everywhere else will be color..

I liked the way it looked while the skin was irritated and red around it.. Not sure what would be the best route to go..

Again I don't mean to thread jack at all, just thought it was on topic.

post-6005-146168858635_thumb.jpg

Input?

Pffft' date=' thread jack away! It's the natural flow of conversations to move around.

Are you thinking to add like one color, or to do all color in them?[/quote']

I really don't know, thought about adding some red here and there and also considered one blue and one green..

Just my own preference' date=' but I think you should leave it be.[/quote']

I'm seriously considering that, probably more so then adding color.

It's my first piece and was thought out way in advance and being B/G was def part of what it symbolizes. Maybe once it's time for some filler we can do something's around the outside..

Thinking its best to leave it be..

I'm seriously considering that, probably more so then adding color.

It's my first piece and was thought out way in advance and being B/G was def part of what it symbolizes. Maybe once it's time for some filler we can do something's around the outside..

Thinking its best to leave it be..

One of the best ways to deal with not being totally satisfied with your tattoos, or being nitpicky about them or whatever is to get more tattoos.

• 7 months later...
Would I be able to get these roses and leaves colored in?

personally id say its to dark already. My friend had some roses by ross nagle done in black and grey then coloured red later on and it looks very very dark, he really regrets putting the colour in after

Why not just get a black and grey tattoo? They age perfectly.

When I got my skull and mandala from Ron Henry Wells, he asked before doing the final shading whether I wanted black and grey or color. Specifically red. I think that the way tattoos are shaded, it's best to decide prior to the tattoo, or like Ron did, before the final touches, whether black and grey or color is best. I chose black and grey, and I am thrilled with the result.