The ED HARDY Thread

@BrianH, actually, I'm an idiot and had my dates wrong. I'll be there with Grez from 12:30-3:30 on the 16th, then just hanging around a bit. A friend of mine is going to try and snag a walk in of the Hardy flash. We'll see I guess. Stop by and say what's up.

I would love to get one of those walk-ins too but I can only hangout at Kings Ave 1-2 hours before my girlfriend and I have to meetup with some normal (not tattooed) friends. I imagine there will be a high demand for those walk-in spots, especially on Saturday.

I'll either say hi or observe from a distance then post here the next day and say "was that you?" That's the LST secret handshake, right?

For sure. I'm feeling like Saturday is going to be a madhouse. My friend is heading down there pretty early to see what's up with walk ins that day. I'm just glad my appointment didn't get bumped. Haha. I wish I could swing a walk in with someone else too, but I'm kinda strapped for extra cash right now.

So yeah, say hey. Or we'll comment on instagrams or here the next day. Haha.

From Mike Rubendall's youtube page:

This video journal was the introduction from Day 1 of the Ed Hardy Lectures, "Pictures of the Gone World" at Kings Avenue Tattoo. It features Ed Hardy's works throughout his career, some of which have never been made available to the public. It also features never before seen clips of Ed's personal journey.

That rules. Mike and Grez said that they'd have a ton of it up online soon, so I can't wait to see the lectures. I didn't go to those; I was just there to get tattooed and check out the art show. So when I do get my recap up (hopefully tonight or tomorrow), it'll only be about that. I'm excited for things to get online.

Ok, I'll type up a quick little recap with some pictures of the weekend. I'll be honest: I didn't really take a ton of photos. There were some people there taking pictures of absolutely everything. I felt weird doing that, so I tried to just get a few that were representative of what was there. I'm sure more will surface, but this is everything I took.

Also, I didn't go to the lectures, but when I got there on Saturday for my 12:30 appointment, the lecture had just ended. The place was absolutely mobbed when I went up, and Ed was signing books and posters for a long line of people. He ended up leaving fairly soon after that was done, but Trevor stayed there and showed art and chatted with anyone who had questions or wanted to buy stuff. By all accounts, the lectures were incredible. Rubendall said that they'd be up online in the near future, and obviously @Iwar posted that teaser above.

First and foremost, I'll start with some of the art. Ed had a few different collections of things. These first ones were my favorite. They were all paintings, with an etching or rubbing over the top, in a way that almost reminded me of some of the Devita stuff they've had there before, but with Ed-styled paintings underneath. Very cool.

e11bd361-f4f2-4100-bca2-f0b73276c371.jpg

In that same collection were two incredible tiger paintings. I would've killed to buy these, but they were sold already and I'm poor as fuck. Haha.

b2a36490-95a5-4d8c-b0fa-d0dc4fef3a12.jpg

26ad6845-bb81-4e74-80ef-e6c179a27062.jpg

He also had a lot of crazy morphs. Below are two of them, and the panther/snake morph on silver had about six others that were similar. Grez actually bought the one posted below.

f011a90a-6faa-43e1-8935-996cb3f3d5af.jpg

bc11f62f-d6e4-41ea-8411-48346eb595c4.jpg

There was also this collection with the "pig thing" and a bunch of drippy/bendy/wild panthers. My buddy was about to buy this one, but his wife was NOT having it.

1254f8d0-2368-4a3d-827c-e908b2ec0bc4.jpg

I think the real highlight was going through a ton of original stencils and drawings that Trevor had in a binder. He didn't have them out for the longest time, then when I saw him take them out, I bolted over. I only took one pic, but there was some amazing stuff in here. I just pored through a ton of it with a few people and each thing was more amazing than the last.

3be10f74-d1a6-4d15-beaa-d5904cc7aebc.jpg

867551c5-11a2-4bba-97da-c8b109c777f3.jpg

Here's the flash they were tattoing from as well as the Hardy gorilla my buddy got from Grez (bloody eyes and all). Grez was beyond excited to do it, as he'd never done that tattoo in all of his years. He told us stories about getting tattooed by Ed, as well as one about Ed freehanding on Brian Bruno towards the end of his career. Next time I get tattooed by him I'm making him take his pants off to show me. He said he would.

fd07b355-5808-4110-bfa7-7ca1504ff377.jpg

fe972950-a880-4da1-9013-8c3ea12f3240.jpg

bd000d46-ca1d-4292-9deb-e1faa534d170.jpg

I think that's it for now. I'm sure more will come to me, but I wanted to share a bit of what I saw.

My buddy was about to buy this one, but his wife was NOT having it.

i know this story all too well! i was able to convince my wife that Ed is one of the rare artists of this day and age whose work will appreciate over time. luckily she's a fan of antique road show! "imagine our great great grand kids bringing this to some art historian someday in a couple hundred years and blowing them away! 'this is an original Hardy lithograph from the 20th century!'"

currently hurts the wallet but strengthens the soul.

@Hands On Grez said that he should've told her he'd buy it, and if it didn't quadruple in value in five years, he'd sell it. That almost worked. He also told us a story about how when he was in SF in like 2003, Ed was selling originals from the dragon book for crazy cheap. Grez bought a ton of them and even called DJ Rose and got him some.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
saw this print that ed's doing for honolulu printmakers. $85 (+$20 s/h). limited edition of 75... hopefully not sold out yet!

2016 Gift Print

this arrived yesterday! https://www.instagram.com/p/BCMpJ0cKHvZ/?taken-by=mullowneyprinting

a complete steal for $105! it's his first time doing a gravure print. i tried to look up this process on youtube and came across some interesting videos that weren't quite what i expected. let's just say, you have to specify with the word "printmaking" after the word "gravure" to get results that are safe for work.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/15/2013 at 2:32 PM, TravisGarcia said:

Here's a link to the video Stoney Knows How

FolkStreams » Stoney Knows How

It's primarily Stoney but has Ed Hardly in it and he gets a tatoo. Great video nonetheless.

LSTers! I just came across this great documentary called "Tattoo Uprising" on Amazon Prime Video that has some cool, old Ed Hardy footage. There's a lot of other good stuff as well. Definitely worth checking out!