Long Term Tattoo care

deadsp0t

I looked through the after care threads and didn't see any about long term care.

My oldest piece isn't much more than a year old and I still hit it with a little auqaphor during the course of healing the others.

When I told my artist this he kind of chuckled and said something like that'll keep'm moist and didn't advise for or against it.

So my question is, is this good? Bad? Make zero difference over the life of the tattoo? I ask because my tattoos are pretty vivid or sharp IMO and I'd like them to stay that way for as long and as much as possible. I mean I get it they fade a bit over time etc but they cost hard earned money and if there's a way to ensure they stay vivid I'd like to know ;) also if I'm just being a NewB I'd like to know :)

I looked through the after care threads and didn't see any about long term care.

My oldest piece isn't much more than a year old and I still hit it with a little auqaphor during the course of healing the others.

When I told my artist this he kind of chuckled and said something like that'll keep'm moist and didn't advise for or against it.

So my question is, is this good? Bad? Make zero difference over the life of the tattoo? I ask because my tattoos are pretty vivid or sharp IMO and I'd like them to stay that way for as long and as much as possible. I mean I get it they fade a bit over time etc but they cost hard earned money and if there's a way to ensure they stay vivid I'd like to know ;) also if I'm just being a NewB I'd like to know :)

keep it out of the sun like was said and if long sleeves are not an option ,then use sun block like SPF 50 as a everyday thing.

Also btw if its less than a year old it will be a long long time before it begins to break down if it was done well.

Applying lotion or sunblock every day several times a day is pretty tedious, esp if this is a life long plan to keep them looking 'new' or fresh or whatever. That will get old real fast. The sun is really the biggest problem. A well applied tattoo can be vivid for a very long time if it doesn't see much sun.

I might also want to just give my opinion that a tattoo that has 'settled' into the skin looks better. That means it won't look brand new anymore but it looks a little more natural for lack of a better word, particularly with ink made without synthetic binders.

I might also want to just give my opinion that a tattoo that has 'settled' into the skin looks better. That means it won't look brand new anymore but it looks a little more natural for lack of a better word, particularly with ink made without synthetic binders.

^ This. While my tattoos definitely look "different" after they settled, they look much more natural (and better in my opinion).

Also btw if its less than a year old it will be a long long time before it begins to break down if it was done well.

Applying lotion or sunblock every day several times a day is pretty tedious' date=' esp if this is a life long plan to keep them looking 'new' or fresh or whatever. That will get old real fast. The sun is really the biggest problem. A well applied tattoo can be vivid for a very long time if it doesn't see much sun.

I might also want to just give my opinion that a tattoo that has 'settled' into the skin looks better. That means it won't look brand new anymore but it looks a little more natural for lack of a better word, particularly with ink made without synthetic binders.[/quote']

I definitely agree!!! Kind of like broken in shoes or pants are just more natural and comfortable :) agree 100%

As far as sunblock goes, melanoma skin cancer killed my grandfather(Sailor and Merchant Marine during WWII) and my pop and I both have sun sensitive skin, he's already had several small skin cancers removed, so SPF 50 is already a part of my life, just not my daily routine..

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! Like I said I just wanna make sure I take care of them properly is all.

I have a tattoo on my ribs that is about 5-6 years old. Whenever I go swimming, etc. in the summer I have always put 50+ SPF on it. It still looks like it did after it completely healed the first year, not even exaggerating. So yeah, moral of the story: use sunscreen... forever.

I just take the "always wear black clothing that covers my tattoos" approach. Much easier!

The best thing you can do is what I did - wait until you are old to get your tattoos and that way you'll probably be dead before they begin to fade! That's my plan and I'm sticking too it. I also don't have to wait to see what they look like when I get old. I can just look in the mirror! :)

Waited till my 30's ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking into some SPF 50 sunscreen and it's not really widely marketed in Australia. Given that I'm in Western Oz and there is A LOT of sun here, applying sunscreen and a hat is way of life... Well, if you're smart anyway... Australia only got the announcement in December that SPF 50 was approved and apparently it's only 1.4% better protection and that's only if people apply it the same as SPF 30. Just a reminder people :)

- - - Updated - - -

also Hogrider, as a glasses wearer I much prefer looking in the mirror without them ;)

I was just looking into some SPF 50 sunscreen and it's not really widely marketed in Australia. Given that I'm in Western Oz and there is A LOT of sun here' date=' applying sunscreen and a hat is way of life... Well, if you're smart anyway... Australia only got the announcement in December that SPF 50 was approved and apparently it's only 1.4% better protection and that's only if people apply it the same as SPF 30. Just a reminder people :)

- - - Updated - - -

also Hogrider, as a glasses wearer I much prefer looking in the mirror without them ;)[/quote']

What do you mean by only if you apply it the same as SPF 30?

:confused:

There were studies done and the consumers didn't apply it as often as they applied SPF 30+ so the SPF 50+ became less effective than 30+.

Sorry about the muddled' date=' my kids are sick so I'm a little tired lately.[/quote']

Ah that makes sense!!! Someone was trying to tell me before 50 was no better then 30 and I couldn't wrap my mind around it but what you're saying makes perfect sense.

Must ppl couldn't give to shits, but as someone prone to skin cancer I take it pretty seriously.