Gifts for artists?

BrookR70

I was thinking about giving my artist a vintage razor (and a $ tip) for a sign that he's painting for my father-in-law. I collect vintage razors and have about 50 of them. I use some, sell some, and display some.

What do you think...is this gift too personal?

For those that have given gifts, what did you give your artist and how many tattoos do you have by that artist?

I think that is an awesome gift!

I've heard of people giving paintings and other art related gifts. I've considered baking something for the shop I frequent just to show my gratitude, but I always worry it won't go over well since I know a lot of the artists are vegan.

It is really up to you. I've been contemplating getting my artist a very interesting hard-to-find tattoo book that I know he doesn't have in addition to a normal monetary tip when my leg is done. Just thought it would be more interesting than just money.

I stick with gifts: cash is always green, but objects as gifts should really be nail-on-the-head to their tastes. One of the reasons I no longer accept gifts from people (although booze for me is ok)

I stick with gifts: cash is always green, but objects as gifts should really be nail-on-the-head to their tastes. One of the reasons I no longer accept gifts from people (although booze for me is ok)

Yeah...I think it might be. The razor I'm thinking about giving him is a vintage 1940s Schick Injector (they used to issue them to the troops during WWII) and he specializes in traditional american, so I think it would be right up his alley.

I gave my tattoo artist a smoking pipe and a tin of tobacco a while back. He is working on my sleeves, and we have talked quite a bit while he has tattooed me. He always takes these little 2 min. smoke breaks to smoke cigs, and I told him that if he liked to smoke, he should try smoking a pipe (again, tobacco, not weed!).

I think as far as gifts go, it depends on the artist and their personality. Some dudes just don't seem like the type to appreciate or want to receive things from their clients. Maybe it would make them feel weird.

I think it just comes down to personal discretion.

I don't think I'm quite to the point or level with my artist to bring a gift, I do know stuff he's into, we always talk the entire session, but after only four sessions it maybe a little odd???

I do tip, 20%-25% depending on the piece/price but never less then 20%.. He's never charged me what I was told he charged hourly and the 'hourly' rate seems to be going down even so I try and tip better.. Sorry if its off topic but am I tipping well enough?!

I think I'll hold off on the razor until I get a couple of more pieces done unless he mentions razors himself or expresses curiosity about them. I'm picking up a sign tomorrow and will give him a 30% tip. I'm due to get another tattoo in November (when the wife goes out of town). Maybe then.

Interesting read.

In the UK we have a different attitude to tipping than the US so the gift thing is the way I work. I don't have anything against tipping but I generally feel that artists price themselves at a rate that reflects their time/ability.

I find that a piece of artwork or a bottle of (good or unusal) drink that they enjoy will be appreciated more than money as it shows that you have thought about it a little rather than added 20% to the amount you took out of the ATM.

All that said, if I was getting tattooed in the US or by an artist based in the States, I would tip, subject to it being a good job, as that is the culture that they work in and I am a firm believer in respecting the morals and cultures of other countries.

I have brought cookies before and bottles of water.

I always tip.

If you know that the tattooer is fond of something particular, and you have access to these types of items, then I think a gift is an awesome idea, but only if you've been tattooed by them before. If its your first time meeting them, a gift could be awkward and out of place.