Looking for input

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide on which tattoo I should think about next.

I'm torn between a pin up girl on the top of my left arm, right below my dream catcher on the same arm, or a koi turning into a dragon on the right arm.

The right arm would require multiple sittings, which I'm ok with or one sitting for the other arm.

Both would be color and am wondering thoughts on color right next to a black and grey tattoo.

If I did this right this is a general idea of the koi/dragon I'm looking at getting but letting the tattoo artist add his own style to it, since I like his tattoos.

The right arm would go from my wrist to my shoulder.

Just want to know other people's thoughts.

Hey everyone' date='

I'm trying to decide on which tattoo I should think about next.

I'm torn between a pin up girl on the top of my left arm, right below my dream catcher on the same arm, or a koi turning into a dragon on the right arm.

The right arm would require multiple sittings, which I'm ok with or one sitting for the other arm.

Both would be color and am wondering thoughts on color right next to a black and grey tattoo.

If I did this right this is a general idea of the koi/dragon I'm looking at getting but letting the tattoo artist add his own style to it, since I like his tattoos.

The right arm would go from my wrist to my shoulder.

Just want to know other people's thoughts.[/quote']

No constructive input but I do like that design, very cool IMO!

I like the koi/dragon idea (but not sure how I feel about that specific sketch) as long as you plan on doing a 1/2 or 3/4 sleeve. What artist do you have lined up for the piece?

It looks like you are located in MN? Have you checked out Josh Arment at Aloha Monkey? http://alohamonkeytattoo.com/

Here is an example of a dragon/koi by Josh: http://instagram.com/p/MjvWrXThKw/

Dragon Koi are rad...but, it needs to be executed properly. It isn't something easily done as both the koi and the dragon need to retain enough of their own structure to know what you are looking at. Also, if you are serious about making sure your tattoo fits the context of folklore then there are certain "rules" or properties that must be depicted or followed in your tattoo.

I would go with the koi/dragon personally. I have a zealous appetite for Japanese tattooing and images though.

Just want to know other people's thoughts.

IMO if you have a pretty full arm of various tattoos and some are B&G and some aren't its really not all that big a deal. In fact I don't see any reason not to. Color pinup next to grey shaded Indian design isn't really any big conflict. Get a lotta tattoos on that arm!

Jap half sleeve next to random grey shaded tattoo would be a big fail, but that doesn't seem to be your plan anyway.

IMO if you have a pretty full arm of various tattoos and some are B&G and some aren't its really not all that big a deal. In fact I don't see any reason not to. Color pinup next to grey shaded Indian design isn't really any big conflict. Get a lotta tattoos on that arm!

Jap half sleeve next to random grey shaded tattoo would be a big fail, but that doesn't seem to be your plan anyway.

Ill echo this. If you're going the koi/dragon route I would stay away from your existing B&G tattoo and do it in the other arm.

Whatever you do don't let your tattooer use that drawing for a reference. He/she should know exactly what you are talking about and have their own references. The one you posted is atrocious no offense intended.

Out of curiosity, whom/what shop are you planning to go to or do you mind if we give suggestions of artists that would excel at that style based on your location?

the pic was just a base starting point, and I love Chris Garver's work! I've been using A-1 Tattoo in West St Paul Mn. The artist that did my dream catcher is excited to do a Koi/Dragon, he's done Japanese art before and I like the works he's done. This tattoo would be on the other arm not the same as the B&G and the Koi/Dragon would be from wrist to shoulder. I like the info here and everyone knows more than I which is why I'm asking here for input!

I think that it would be worth your while to explore more than one or two shops in the area; I strongly recommend Dan Lowell @7th st for a Japanese style sleeve. He has a lot of experience with that subject matter and has been tattooing for more than a dogs age. Hrs also a really down to earth dude, super nice guy. A sleeve is such a huge powerful tattoo that I would go with one of the most qualified in your area.

If you're already committed to this artist I can understand that but it wouldn't hurt just to drive over and look at his work if nothing else just to meet artists from all over your town. Skip the web page and just go in.

• 3 weeks later...

irezumi: Dan's going to call me this Thursday. Saw spencer at that shop today and showed him my latest tattoo and he even agreed that I was over worked and that I have an infection there now and I'll be checking them out for my next tattoos and from there deciding on who will be doing the rest of my tattoos from now. Thanks for the suggestion, if you know give me your name and I'll let him know you sent me!

thornton8000

• 4 weeks later...