Hi =)

Elerrina_7

Hi there

I'm Ashleigh, 22 from the UK. Just found this forum the other day whilst browsing and its fab. Lots of great advice.

I did have a quick question. I currently have no tattoos and am finding it hard to chose something in particular. I mean there's just so much beautiful artwork out there that I am struggling. How did you guys decide on your first tattoos. Also I'm not one for putting meaning into something, when i get a tattoo it will be because i like it not because my dog died =)

Welcome to LST.

I think the best way to decide is to look through artist's portfolios. Eventually you will find an artist and think "I love the way he/she does X, I need to get X from this artist."

Where in the UK are you located? We can probably recommend a few shops in your area.

I'm based in the West Midlands near the border with Wales. Although I would travel to get one. It's going to be with me for life so I'll pay as much as i have to and travel to wherever necessary to get an amazing piece of art =)

But if you can recommend some good tattoo studios around the UK would be very helpful, I wouldn't know where to start.

Hi @elerrina. Welcome to the forum. I live in the UK too, I agree with the other members, looking through various artists portfolios will give you a great idea of whats out there. Im getting tattooed at Frith street tattoo in London and in my opinion they are one of the best shops around. From what Ive seen, depending on what you end up deciding to get, there is someone there who will be able to give you what you want, to a top standard. You might have to go on a waiting list, but as you've already said to get an amazing piece of art requires some dedication! They also have a steady stream of top quality guest artists coming through. But you seem to have a good attitude towards getting your first tattoo, stick with that and you wont go far wrong. Good luck!

Hello and welcome. As for your question, I'd suggest looking through the latest tattoo lowdown and tattoo of the month contests on this forum, if you're on instagram use that to follow tattooers and see what they're doing, if you can get to the London tattoo convention go to that and see tattoos in person because pictures don't really capture the beauty and power of good tattoos, and just try to find what you respond to the most. Eventually you'll find something that feels right, and I think you'll know when that happens, and then seek that tattoo out.

Hi there

I'm Ashleigh, 22 from the UK. Just found this forum the other day whilst browsing and its fab. Lots of great advice.

I did have a quick question. I currently have no tattoos and am finding it hard to chose something in particular. I mean there's just so much beautiful artwork out there that I am struggling. How did you guys decide on your first tattoos. Also I'm not one for putting meaning into something, when i get a tattoo it will be because i like it not because my dog died =)

I got my first tattoo when I was around your age...22 years ago! I didn't have much time to plan or over-think it because it was kind of on a whim. I just picked something I liked and got it. It's not like you have to stop there, you can just keep thinking of things you like and getting them.

There is a whole thread about first tattoos here: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/crazy-tattoo-stories/14-first-tattoo.html

Valerie Vargas

Stewart Robson

Oliver Macintosh

Tomas Tomas

Duncan X

Alex Rienke(Horikitsune)

Chris Crooks

Several rad tattooer also travel to Frith St. on the regular:

Chad Koeplinger

Beau Brady(spell check?)

Mario Desa

Todd Noble

Oliver Peck

If you are willing to travel to mainland Europe:

Robert Hernandez

Filip Leu

Greg Orie

Jondix

the list could go forever...

If you let us know what kind of imagery you like, we can point you in the direction you need to travel.

Thanks for all the help guys. For style I like quite bold colourful tattoos and feminine ones too so things like floral designs, peacocks, phoenix etc Also really love the tiger designs (my favourite animal). My problem is I'm not very creative or imaginative so when i see things i like i'm all like thats awesome. But i'm not very good at thinking about stuff i like. Not very useful haha

So what do people here think of tattoos like these 1186151_10200971533744037_1733091729_n.jpg I do really like lianne moules work but i'm just a bit dubious as to the longevity of it and how much things like that will fade over time

I don't think this tattoo is done well. The background should not be the same color as the flower and I don't think it adds to the tattoo. All the blues and greens and purples are cool colors and could really use more warm colors like gold and orange in the tattoo, the pink just isn't enough of a contrast to the purple to pull it off. I am not a big fan of this genre. I think sometimes people feel like they have too choices, bold line traditional and no outline realistic, and I think there are plenty of things in between that could better suit a person who wants a tattoo that looks a little more realistic, but still has and outline and enough black to hold up over time. But at the very least using colors that compliment each other if you do go this route.

Decided to go for an orchid tattoo, just looking for a more unusual looking flower than the standard phalaenopsis.

Originally I wanted an orchid but got talked out of it by my friends as they thought it was too common. Well I like it and it's on me so doesn't matter what they think =).

Hopefully will be getting it done by jen at no regrets Cheltenham. Time to find some material and start saving. It's quite exciting when you know what you want!