SPF clothing

Rob I

Was responding to a week old post started by a now banned member, and thought I'd share the info in a more suitable thread.

I was talking with Beth Potter at Hobo's tattoo shop in Portsmouth and we were chatting about sunblocks and keeping tattoos looking great over the years. She has a 15 year old sleeve done by Jason Scott, that looks like it was done a year ago. Just stunning.

She mentioned SPF shirts. These are essentially clothing that have spf ratings. I've picked up a few from a few different companies, and thought I'd share the fact that this type of clothing is available by a number of different retailers.

I've picked up a few myself. Thought it could be a good thing to wear during the no sunblock phase.... Not all are made the same though, and some lose their effectiveness after multiple washings, so do some research. I would also be wary about wearing them while the tattoo is in the "wound phase" as some of these shirts may have been chemically treated to make them effective.

rob

After going to the beach earlier this summer and getting a light sunburn on my shoulders even though I used sunblock, I bought a UPF 50 hooded button down long-sleeved beach cover-up. It's good to have the extra protection in addition to sunblock on already healed tattoos. I've tried it out and it worked great. Mine was kind of pricey, but seems to be worth it (good quality). From Coolibar, $75.

Sun Cover Up: Sun Protective Clothing - Coolibar

After going to the beach earlier this summer and getting a light sunburn on my shoulders even though I used sunblock, I bought a UPF 50 hooded button down long-sleeved beach cover-up. It's good to have the extra protection in addition to sunblock on already healed tattoos. I've tried it out and it worked great. Mine was kind of pricey, but seems to be worth it (good quality). From Coolibar, $75.

Sun Cover Up: Sun Protective Clothing - Coolibar

that's a good idea,but I use this along with my SPF50 sunscreen. http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0248/3435/products/UWS_beach-shot_front-view_1024x1024.jpg?326

Is a tattoo affected by the sun if you are just wearing a regular long sleeve shirt though? I thought the actual fabric blocked some of the rays that would fade a tattoo. I mostly cover up everywhere I go anyways, w/ a flannel or whatever, hoodie in the winter. But thats mainly because I hate the sun.

hanes long sleeve performance shirts, $8 online! i'm in the sun literally all day long at work. wore the aforementioned long sleeve shirt day after getting work done as well with no problems. they are effective. sunblock isn't good for you, way too many chemicals to be using it daily...

and as a response to the question regarding regular shirts blocking UV rays, many do not do an adequate job (cotton etc)