Am I welcome with "mainstream" tattoos?

Suiren

Hello!

I am asking this because I had a couple of rough experiences in other (German) forums and want to ask this before getting very engaged in a community.

There I did not even get the chance to post a picture, I was judged by what I said that I had done and planned for the future.

Maybe my tattoos are "mainstream" or were more popular at some point, but I really never gave that much thought because frankly I don't care. I just get what makes me happy, not others. (My tattoos are up to ten years old and I still like them.)

So to said Forums, the mere thought of a butterfly must have signalized "blasphemy" to them. I understand some designs aren't the best combination, or not tattoed the best way, but I would not go so far to insult the wearer, quote: "with mainstream designs like that you are already setting yourself up for a fail, it is boring and if I was a tattoo artist I would refuse to tattoo boring bullshit like that."

It is not like it was constructive and polite criticism either. The whole forum shared that opinion, aside from a few that asked to be deleted because of the bullys.

The designs talked about: a butterfly in only black and white with bold lines, a kanji (part of my name), a dead tree (also b&w), part of a rune poem in font, my son's name in gaelic font with a small design, a swallow, small birds, a deer, various flowers (not all together, but spread over parts of my body)

Few of these I already have, some are planned soon and some I like for the future. All of these have been planned for years and are part of a story. I have overcome great illness the past 10 years and every design is part of a continuing theme.

I was told font and poems, kanji and butterflies (or stars, symbols, flowers, tribals etc.) are a "no go", names of children frowned upon, and that the black and white and simpler designs I like are plain boring and unoriginal?

(But what I don't understand is how it is original to try so hard to be original and unique because others with tats will judge you? That would lead to a whole other form of mainstream imho.)

I have trouble finding a good tattoo artist because of the prejudice.

Long story short, I am wondering if it is the same everywhere, or if it is maybe just a German tattoo community thing.

I would love to learn more about tattoos and share future plans to receive some advice.

But if I am frowned upon because of my tattoo design choice, then I'd rather just do my own thing because it just would not be enjoyable.

Some more about me:

I am 31, mom to a two year old, usually work as a bilingual Administrative Assistant but am still doing my 3 year maternity leave while working from home a bit.

In my free time I knit, sew clothing, participate in medieval events and reenactment and bow shooting (mongolian recurve) or meet other moms and babies.

We are planning to have baby number two in the near future and I hope to get some ink done before that because I will have to take a long break when pregnant and after.

Best,

Suiren

Hello and welcome. I'd like to think that LST is a friendly and welcoming place so please feel free to explore the forums, watch the tattoo artist interview videos, go through all the pictures that people have posted, and so on. People who speculate on what they wouldn't or wouldn't do if they were tattoo artists are morons. I was watching that Vice video interview with Mike Brown (RIP) a couple of weeks ago and he was talking about mostly tattooing hibiscus flowers on tourists...because that's what tattooing is. That you're happy with your tattoos is ultimately the most important thing.

Hello, and welcome. Your tattoos sound fine to me. Some people believe that they know more then others and need to "educate" others. It's your body. You have to look at it. If you're happy then forget what everyone else says.

Hello' date=' and welcome. Your tattoos sound fine to me. Some people believe that they know more then others and need to "educate" others. It's your body. You have to look at it. If you're happy then forget what everyone else says.[/quote']

Agreed! If you like what you have F them!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Yes, ultimately it is my decision and I need to be happy with it.

The German forum had a pretty bad vibe since it is basically made up of users voting on other users images. 80% of the comments were just rude and to me it seemed like they feel big and important insulting others tattoos. :(

Oh well, not the place for me.

I will continue to explore the forums then :)

I don't think you'll find any one on here judging as long as you take our advice and get your work done from reputable shops and artists.

And 3 year maternity leave?! I need to move to Germany...

Yes it is pretty great. You can decide to go back earlier of course ,but if you want to focus on raising your children first you can do that. It gives me the chance to expand my creative home business.

I will take any good and friendly advice of course, and a reputable shop is a must! My first tattoo was done by an apprentice of a supposedly good shop and he really did not do a good job. That is why I want to learn more here and possibly get an opinion on artists.

I have my daughter's name on me. I certainly won't frown upon you for that. ;)

Mainly, people here just want to steer you in the direction of getting solid work and will support & applaud you when you do.

I've learned a lot since I've been checking out this site and following artists on instagram. Once I saw what was possible in tattooing, the quality of my tattoos started improving.

I have my daughter's name on me. I certainly won't frown upon you for that. ;)

Mainly, people here just want to steer you in the direction of getting solid work and will support & applaud you when you do.

I've learned a lot since I've been checking out this site and following artists on instagram. Once I saw what was possible in tattooing, the quality of my tattoos started improving.

Yes I am here because I do want to learn more and get opinions on my ideas. I have done the same for years with piercings and used to spend a lot of time on body piercing forums.

I think I read somewhere that I can't post any questions for seven days though? Is that correct?

I do have an appointment for small tattoo coming up this weekend and I am not sure if I should go now since I haven't really gotten any opinion here yet...

Like I stated before I do have a problem with artists taking me in because they disagree on tattooing my sons name or other designs I have picked. Others simply have a too long wait time of 1-2 years which interferes with our plans of pregnancy next year.

The shop I picked has great reviews online, and the work looks good to me at least (but I'm not a pro...don't seem to have the worst taste though) I am planning to get a small dead tree tattooed in black...simple, black, boring ;) (not to me but that is why no one wants to do it), and the shop I went to (Dave's Tattoo in Frankfurt) is a very friendly place with very friendly artists too.

Well, I will have to sleep about that one, might really have to cancel the appointment.

Hello and welcome. I am new to this site as well and was similarly concerned. After spending as much time as possible looking around the forums so far all I have seen is a large group of friendly and very knowlegable people. Seems like a great place to spend some time. I hope you stick around I know I am going to.

Well you can ask questions here in this thread even if you can't start a new one yet... Do you have a link to this guy's online portfolio?

Oh, I did not see I had another reply. I was able to start a thread just a little later. I have attached most of what I found of his work here: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-advice/4475-input-planned-design-artists-work.html#post73301

I felt it was safest to move the appointment and just have a consultation first. I basically want to show up with a bit more knowledge and a good idea of what I want and can get. That is why I asked about certain things like shading and detail. The artist and shop has very good (5 star) ratings online, but they were all given by people that are not as knowledgeable as the users here. So while I may not see any flaws in his work, a trained eye might still see something.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello and welcome. I am new to this site as well and was similarly concerned. After spending as much time as possible looking around the forums so far all I have seen is a large group of friendly and very knowlegable people. Seems like a great place to spend some time. I hope you stick around I know I am going to.

Hi! I hope ypu have a great time here too. I jumped right into a discussion about lettering that was interesting and civilized. Unlike what I had seen on other forums :)