Team Occult Vibrations 2013 Philly AIDS Walk 5k!

ShawnPorter

This October me and a group of friends are going to be raising funds and running a 5k in support of the 2013 Philadelphia Aids Walk. In my life I've lost too many people to this horrible disease and while things are better than they've ever been with meds and hopes of vaccines and cures.. people are still dying.

I'm not sure if a lot of folks here on LST know what I do for a living; I work in a gay bar in Center City Philly and every day I see people who's lives have been affected- directly or indirectly- by HIV/AIDS. My own mentor, Jack Yount, died of complications due to AIDS. It's something that hits very close to home with me and this year I've decided that instead of just donating money to the walk... we're going to run.

I'm going to hit up some of my tattooer friends and see if we can't get a donation of artwork for an exclusive Occult Vibrations shirt design, something non-related to the event but available only to folks who donated, as well as whipping up special OV dvds of deleted footage that I can't show on the blog. Those of you who've seen the unedited ROYBOY tapes know how out of control they got...

Here's the pitch: AIDS WALK 2013: 5k TEAM OV! | Sacred Debris

I made my $500 goal!

Woot! There was at least one LST member in there- I really do appreciate it!

I'm going to raise my fundraising goal but be far less aggressive about it.. our team is trying to raise $1500 and right now, I'm a 1/3 of that. Let the other five members sweat, I say.

Did I mention we're going to be wearing matching 'seventies gym teacher' shorts? Oh yeah. It's going to be uncomfortable for everyone running behind us.

Awesome, lots off people talk about causes but its rare people actually get out and do something productive.

That used to be me.

I'd give money but I never actually did anything other than that. (not that there's anything wrong with giving money. specially since I'm currently soliciting it :D hehe) Now I just want to pay back all of the advances I've made in health- mental and physical- with something more than just a lil money.

• 2 months later...

We raised almost $3600 for people affected by HIV/AIDS. My time wasn't stellar, but I ran the 5k on two hours sleep and nursing a chest cold, so I'll accept my 29mins gracefully. There were a few LST folks who contributed- I hope my thank you email made it to you... if not, thank you SO much for helping the team and I- and more importantly people who really need the services your donations help provide.