Tattoo Soundtracks

Gnawa

Bob Roberts plays the best music to get tattooed by.

Agreed. He was playing Blind Willie McTell when I got tattooed by him. Shaved me with a straight razor too, only time that's ever happened when I got tattooed. Pretty much everything about getting tattooed by Bob Roberts rules.

Usually it starts with 'well, their first album was ok' (which we've already gotten) and at some point a devil's advocate will point out that it's ok to listen to NWA but not Skrewdriver and isn't that equally blah blah blah.

to make it more interesting, let's replace nwa with sledgehammer or any of the sss japanese rac bands? haha

on a side note, what about david alan coe? I imagine folks aren't playing his underground album but the other stuff gets played. which i'll mention too that his first album, penitentiary blues, is a great blues record.

One day I walked in to Temple and they were playing "Give Me Something To Dance To" by NWA. I was sold.

Then as I was leaving, they were playing "Liquid Swords" by GZA. Temple fan for life.

We play Pandora and you won't hear that good shit for the most part till later in the evening when the owner is gone....he can't stand rap...

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'd way rather hear something mellow or laid back in a shop. I don't mind aggressive loud music from time to time, but I find it grates on me after a while. Especially if it's something I'm not familiar with.

I have to go chase some kids off my lawn.

(For what's its worth, I always have some Motörhead on my iPod.)

Melissa Etheredge and the Indigo Girls?

I was pretty psyched when I was up at Spider Murphy's over the summer that within the first 10 minutes of my tattoo, I heard an old Bowie song and a BRMC song... two of my faves. Always comforting to hear some of your favorite music while getting tattooed. Seemed like they probably had pandora on, I don't know.

There was some Black Sabbath, Black Keys, and some "classic rock" at my last session here in LA and that's all fine with me, too.

Alanis Morissette and other strong female leads mellow and relaxed. The odd occasional wu-tang and country thrown in the mix with a metal track here and there. The tattooist can feel your personal chi and should adjust the music accordingly.

Alanis Morissette and other strong female leads mellow and relaxed. The odd occasional wu-tang and country thrown in the mix with a metal track here and there. The tattooist can feel your personal chi and should adjust the music accordingly.

eventhough I agree with this to some degree, it's not a spa. I want people to be comfortable but also sometimes I may pick music that I am going to work best to that particular day.

in regards to feeling someones personal chi, they best keep it in their pants. that's gonna cost extra and i don't think my wife is going to go for it. petting someones chi. that's like 2 steps above and handjob.

I just realized just listening to some radio is my thang....easy to zone out to...listen to some fuckers talk about something i do not care about...some songs..more bullshit...perfect for forgetting it hurts! too bad all music on the radio pretty much sucks in sweden....

I wouldn't get tattooed in an environment that wasn't chill. Devil or uber-gangster music and id just leave. But I realize that there are different atmospheres for different clientele. I have over 30+ hours of grind-house very cool yet old school American street shop work and 20+ hours of super custom 2 customer a day shop work. Need to ask which hurt less and had the chillest of atmospheres? I am willing to bet most non inner city shops will eventually follow the boutique model. That or I have become a hipster and need help.

I wouldn't get tattooed in an environment that wasn't chill. Devil or uber-gangster music and id just leave. But I realize that there are different atmospheres for different clientele. I have over 30+ hours of grind-house very cool yet old school American street shop work and 20+ hours of super custom 2 customer a day shop work. Need to ask which hurt less and had the chillest of atmospheres? I am willing to bet most non inner city shops will eventually follow the boutique model. That or I have become a hipster and need help.

I have no idea what any of this means.

Chill, non-chill, as long as it's good, I probably won't mind or care much. Like JAllen said above, it's not a day spa, it's a tattoo shop.

However I would be pissed if I had to listen to Alanis Morissette while getting tattooed, and would heavily question the taste and values of the tattooer/shop that put it on.

Pure heavy music snobbery going on in here :) If you got a appointment with some legendary tattooist who you love and never thought you would ever get near, and they cranked up the morrisette or the dire straits or whatever , would it really matter ?? "Sorry Horiyoshi III your taste in easy listening and christian rock offends me so i'm afraid I cant let you tattoo me" !!!!!!