Advice on what to do with this peony

petepunter

Hi guys,

A few months back I got this peony in a water brushed technique in black and grey I wasn't happy with the shading on the in the centre and how it looks similar to a crooked smiley face so I decided to add color and still wasn't too happy.

I have since added a Black grey Koi and background and it does not seem to much the dark blacks and looks way to light.

My artist has said he will touch it up and reline it with thicker lining just seeing if you think a darker shade of red will do the job or go to a different artist and see what they can do maybe rework it any thoughts? heres some pics of the offending tattoo. I am over the face now and just want something that flows colour wise

image_zps7a5e7395.jpg

image_zps64f99aba.jpg

I'd be asking a certified, Japanese traditionalist to offer his/her opinion on the whole thing being re-worked. Definitely at least needs outlining, but the Koi is looking washed out, too.

I agree, do a little research to see who in your area works well in this style. Seems like a lot of it could be cleaned up, if you don't want to go the route of removal.

• 3 weeks later...

i get really bummed for people when they get stuck in this situation... sometimes touch ups are necessary yes, but the goal is to not get locked into this touch up and redo situation where you have to keep going back and redoing this and relining that.. its just a bummer.. this is just my opinion, but i think when it comes to japanese style work you really need to be direct with what youre doing. at a glance, it kinda looks like he's not sure of himself and kinda tip toed around the whole thing. luckily its not that bad though. i think a good thing to do is what everyone else is saying and research some people in your area that have a little more experience with this style.

good luck. i really hope everything works out for you.

• 2 months later...

I think you can definitely work with it for a touch up. The colors look washed out on the flower. As far as covering it goes, I would laser anything before attempting to cover it since there is so much black. If you aren't comfortable with this artists work though, I would definitely go to a different artist because if he keeps adding to it you won't have much hope for removal or better cover ups

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The line work on the Peony needs to be redone, It looks horrible (Sorry for being so blunt, but its the truth), The color needs work too. I agree that it does look washed out, but putting a black and grey Koi behind it doesnt help at all. That whole tattoo needs to be redone. With better lines and bolder colors that tattoo could be amazing! Im not sure where your located, but If you were in Cali I could fix you up nicely on that tattoo. It would only take about two sessions to revive that tattoo! There are so many ideas that I could see to do to that tattoo to get it lookin good. Feel free to PM me and I can help you out. Def look for a better artist though!

• 1 month later...
laser?

Don't bother with Laser, just go to someone who knows what they are doing.

Artistically the design is weak, rather than having character to the peony, waves and Koi, look like the fella just did some mindless copying of someone else's design. There is no artistic flair there, so the design in disappointing and uninteresting to look at.

Technically, unless you really botched the healing process, there seems to be color loss everywhere, from the grey wash to the line work to the color work.

My advice is it is time to move on to someone who is an artist who has studied Japanese traditional art and is technically good at applying Tattoo, with a portfolio as evidence (which he looks you in the eye and assures you is his work)

A Clean / Artist / Technician Tattooer with a passion for Traditional Japanese is what you are looking for.

Also a common mistake people make, is to add something to a week design for improvement (more background or whatever), but there is a saying in the painting world, "Good Frames won't save bad paintings" and the same is true to Tattoo art.

Just my 2-cents, hope it helps.

Good luck.