Hello peeps!

ptgold

Hows it going everyone. Came here to do some research for ideas and styles for my second tattoo. Im a thorough researcher and am very picky when it comes to things so the fact that Im going to get a lifelong art on my body Ive spent the past 3 years thinking about, hoarding and concentrating ideas for what Im finally going to do. Hopefully this board can get me to finally focus my ideas into a coherent picture.

Where are you located? Maybe we can recommend an artist to help you make your very picky 3 year long dream come true!

Well I actually live in Panama...the country, not the city:cool:. However I travel every spring to Los Angeles to visit my brother. Ill be over there for 2 weeks next february and plan to have an appointment with an artist for then. Seeing as my time is limited, I need to make sure I have a design that can be done in 2 sittings max, hopefully just 1.

Ive narrowed it down to 2 styles (Japanese and Maori). I already have a large Maori style tat on my back, and wanted to find an artist who could combine these two styles in a tasteful way so whatever is on my body has unity theme to it. What I have in mind is a half sleeve + shoulder + upper left back design that melds into my existing tattoo.

What I look for in a good artist and what is most important to me is how good they are at shading and rich deep colors.

I already have one place in mind in LA thats pretty close to my brothers house.... Tattoo Alchemy ..... I think they could fit my needs.

Hopefully you guys can guide me and recommend some more good places for what Im looking for.

Thanks!

If you visit LA often you could finish a large piece over time. If you want to go big Japanese and on your back that's going to take a long ass time. I know there are amazing Japanese artists in LA but I'm blanking right now, some one here will be able to recommend a good shop.

What this guy said. If you know you will be back to LA often you can do multiple sittings over a longer period of time. I know people on this forum that have gotten/get big tattoos from artists that don't live in the same country as them. Just takes a bit more patience!

I would either stick with tribal or japanese. I wouldn't combine the two. Then again that is just me. Also I can't really think of any artist that specializes in Maroni style tattoos in L.A.

I would start with Horimoto State of Grace for Japanese. To be honest in my opinion NYC has the best Japanese style artist. Let me think about it i'm sure there are some that I can't think of right now..

What this guy said. If you know you will be back to LA often you can do multiple sittings over a longer period of time. I know people on this forum that have gotten/get big tattoos from artists that don't live in the same country as them. Just takes a bit more patience!

**gal :)

Chris Brand in LA.

He is up in Northern California but based on the pictures on his Instagram, Brian Kaneko does some really staggering Japanese tattoos and since you'd be travelling anyway...

I second Chris Brand. Also: Small Paul at True Tattoo does nice traditional Japanese work. Bryan Burk has a little more Western influence, but his stuff is also killer. I also quite like Jojo Ackerman, and have heard good things about Unbreakable. Personally, @TrixieFaux & I get tattooed at Memoir. Kim Saigh did a beautiful koi on my arm though she's not strictly a Japanese-style artist.

Japanese seems like the best bet but make sure it is an artist properly trained in Japanese style tattooing. State of Grace is a great place but it is pretty far from LA. You may even be able to contact one of the artists at SOG to suggest someone in your area that would do a legit job. Seems like Panama would have a lot of shops because of the canal...what is tattooing like in Panama?

- - - Updated - - -

Japanese seems like the best bet but make sure it is an artist properly trained in Japanese style tattooing. State of Grace is a great place but it is pretty far from LA. You may even be able to contact one of the artists at SOG to suggest someone in your area that would do a legit job. Seems like Panama would have a lot of shops because of the canal...what is tattooing like in Panama?