gauze vs plastic wrap over a tattoo

Riyko

I got to thinking the other day, all the tattoo's i've had done in the states the artists has wrapped with plastic wrap, but the tattoo i got up in Canada the artist put some gauze on after she finished with the tattoo. It made me wonder what is better to put on a tattoo would it be gauze because it allows the tattoo to breath and can absorb the blood or is plastic wrap because it suffocates in a sense the tattoo. I preferred the gauze because compared to plastic wrap i didn't notice the gauze, but the plastic wrap irritated my skin so much i've always taken them off right after getting the tattoo because i hated the sweaty, suffocating feeling.

So, I wanted to know your opinions about putting gauze over a tattoo after it's done vs putting plastic wrap over a tattoo? What would you prefer having over a tattoo?

psst: i wasn't sure if this went here or the tattoo after care section so i just put it here (to be on the safe side)

I've had both here in the US. The "gauze" I had wasn't REALLY gauze, it was more of an ABD pad with a plastic outer side. Anyway, whatever they put I leave it on while I sleep and don't open the bastard till the morning to clean and toss the old dressing.

Here's how I look at it: Either way is fine. I don't think the absorbant pad is going to suck out any ink. It's just soaking up sweat and plasma and blood, ANY ink would be oozing out anyway with the plasma and other fluids. The plastic wrap, same, it's uncomfortable maybe but it'll keep your sheets clean and be a barrier for the giant open wound you just paid for. When the plastic wrap was used, the dudes always taped a folded paper towel to the bottom rim to catch any dripping ooze.

Taking either off right after exposes the tattoo to a world of bacteria, even if you're cleaning the thing. SO I say leave it on, let what's there be there, in the morning toss the crap and never re-wrap. I know some people re-wrap for sleep. I don't like creating a moist/body temp environment on my giant open wound for bacteria to have an orgy in. THAT'S ME. I've done the re-wrap and it's never done anything one way or the other but cost me plastic wrap.

So blah blah blah, I don't think it REALLY matters and it's a personal thing.

So blah blah blah, I don't think it REALLY matters and it's a personal thing.

Yup. I've had the bandages, saran wrap/bandage mix, and saran wrap only. I always keep it on overnight and haven't had any issues either way. I still cringe though when I see an artist reach for saran wrap, just because it's so uncomfortable IMO.

I totally cringe when I see the plastic wrap. Just feel like it doesn't look professional, and there's no proper barrier for a fresh tattoo.

Not only is it keeping your tattoo clean, and absorbing the bacteria that goes with it...when you take it off, the cleaning is that much easier than saran wrap cause everything dries and sticks to your skin/tattoo..

I find it absolutely gross.

Oh I see. When you remove the plastic wrap or pad, you have to clean that area. So I basically find it's less messy when you have a pad instead of the plastic wrap. With the plastic wrap it's just collecting blood and all that shit in their. All that stuff ends up drying on your skin/tattoo over that few hours it's bandaged... I don't know I just don't like. :P

Hope that clears it. lol

plastic wrap is cheap at the grocery store, sterile bandages from a medical supply place cost more. like @daveborjes said, it's just to get you home. usually because some local health dept requires you to leave with something on it. it's not for healing the tattoo up. so whatevers on it, take it off when you get somewhere to wash it up and do your first aftercare ritual.

Since I always rush home to take it off right away anyways I could care less.
plastic wrap is cheap at the grocery store' date=' sterile bandages from a medical supply place cost more. like @daveborjes said, it's just to get you home. usually because some local health dept requires you to leave with something on it. it's not for healing the tattoo up. so whatevers on it, take it off when you get somewhere to wash it up and do your first aftercare ritual.[/quote']

This, simple as that and no real need to recover unless like stated you have to wear heavy clothes.

Even when I had the color done on my larger piece I didn't cover at night, ink/blood on the sheets was never a major issue.. The lotion had more negative affect on my sheets then the blood or ink.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Neither one is ideal really. Although plastic wrap has certain advantages. Unlike gauze, plastic won't stick to the bandage and either leave behind particles of cotton( which can cause infection) or pull out a chunk of your brand new tattoo leaving it spotty and opening it up to infection. The best things for bandages are either plastic coated pads that absorb blood and plasma, or the thin breathable films used for burn patients. The pads only get left on for a couple hours to allow the skin to seal itself, whereas the films get left on overnight, and then get reapplied.

I got to thinking the other day, all the tattoo's i've had done in the states the artists has wrapped with plastic wrap, but the tattoo i got up in Canada the artist put some gauze on after she finished with the tattoo. It made me wonder what is better to put on a tattoo would it be gauze because it allows the tattoo to breath and can absorb the blood or is plastic wrap because it suffocates in a sense the tattoo. I preferred the gauze because compared to plastic wrap i didn't notice the gauze, but the plastic wrap irritated my skin so much i've always taken them off right after getting the tattoo because i hated the sweaty, suffocating feeling.

So, I wanted to know your opinions about putting gauze over a tattoo after it's done vs putting plastic wrap over a tattoo? What would you prefer having over a tattoo?

psst: i wasn't sure if this went here or the tattoo after care section so i just put it here (to be on the safe side)

I wet heal all of my tattoos with cling film and a long as you change it regularly and keep clean theres no issues . Im shit at dry healing cos I bleed like fuck so scabbing is inevitable .

I scab pretty easily too. What is your healing method exactly? I always thought that if you scab easily dry heal is the best...