gauze vs plastic wrap over a tattoo

Riyko

tegaderm is the best wet healing method! Actually best any kind of healing I found so far! Heals smoother and no rough scaly scabs.

I am considering the tegaderm tomorrow, I bought 10 4x4 pieces so I am prepared. Not sure how it will be with my entire half arm covered.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

I am considering the tegaderm tomorrow, I bought 10 4x4 pieces so I am prepared. Not sure how it will be with my entire half arm covered.

I actually have it on right now. Just make sure you go home and take a shower and really clean the tattoo. Then rewrap it with aquaphor . Wait at least a couple hours after rewraping it or even the next morning then clean and dry. Then put on the tegaderm.

It will be totally fine .. You will probably need about about 8 pieces depending how big your arm is. You can over lap them too but try to not overlap them too much. Also keep about an inch diameter around your tattoo. Check out my instagram Killercook76 i'll post a pic up today.

Keep it on for 3 days.

Oh ok. I never used aquaphor as Nick said not too as it has petroleum in it. He said only unscented lotion. You think that will be OK? I never really ooze, I normally get home, wait three hours, shower and then apply thin coat of lotion.

I was thinking I would get home, after 3 hours wash the tattoos in shower. Then I would air dry, lightly lotion. Once it air dry to where the lotion won't cause the tegaderm not to stick, maybe couple hours, I will put it on. Leave it on 3 days, and remove in shower. Sound good?

Oh ok. I never used aquaphor as Nick said not too as it has petroleum in it. He said only unscented lotion. You think that will be OK? I never really ooze, I normally get home, wait three hours, shower and then apply thin coat of lotion.

I was thinking I would get home, after 3 hours wash the tattoos in shower. Then I would air dry, lightly lotion. Once it air dry to where the lotion won't cause the tegaderm not to stick, maybe couple hours, I will put it on. Leave it on 3 days, and remove in shower. Sound good?

No I wouldn't put lotion on it before you put the tegaderm.. The whole idea of this is to wet heal your tattoo so. I would follow the aquaphor idea. Then again it's up to you. I'm just letting you know how I did it and worked out amazing! Not sure why you would try something different.. it's up to you!!

I wouldn't put anything on your tattoo before you put the tegaderm on. Like I said there is no sure way of doing this because I'm no expert but ..

- - - Updated - - -

No I wouldn't put lotion on it before you put the tegaderm.. The whole idea of this is to wet heal your tattoo so. I would follow the aquaphor idea. Then again it's up to you. I'm just letting you know how I did it and worked out amazing! Not sure why you would try something different.. it's up to you!!

I wouldn't put anything on your tattoo before you put the tegaderm on. Like I said there is no sure way of doing this because I'm no expert but ..

think about it would you put lotion of a fresh cut or scrape?

I've heard guys talk about immediately lotioning their new tattoo form the beginning and it never made much sense to me. I certainly wouldn't put lotion on a fresh road rash, I'm definitely not doing it with my expensive new tattoo, haha

yup!! I'm no doctor or expert but sometimes common sense goes a long way.

OK just to be sure, the next morning, I wash the aquaphor off and dry arm. Once dry I put the tegaderm on.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to change it, I just didn't want to buy aquaphor if didn't have too.

yes.

No I'm just letting you know what my experiences are . It's working out great.. actually amazing so..

Keep it on for 3 days then you can go to lotion. I just want to give out the advice that I've used .. Not giving anything I read on google or something.

One last one for you. I just took of the test tegaderm after 1 hour, my arm is red. Do you get redness under? Here it is

Not sure did you just rip it off? That's why you put it on for three days! Putting it on for 1 hour then ripping it of will definitely irritate your skin I would think.. Honestly I'm not sure ??? Good luck!

You basically just stuck it to your skin then pulled it off when the adhesive was still at its strongest. Try a diff spot, leave it one for at least a day, take it off in the shower running warm water over it while you peel it off, it'll give you a better idea of whether or not you react to it. Also, the few people who had reactions, they mentioned that the reaction took place in the non-tattooed skin, but that it didn't affect the actual tattoo healing negatively

I have never had anyone use gauze, that sounds like it would stick to the tattoo, i hate when things stick to my tattoos, it makes me cringe thinking about it. haha Recently I have seen some artist use Dri Loc pads, this allows for the absorption of bodily fluids and it allows the tattoo to breath, which I personally believe this would be best for the tattoo.

Although, anyone who has ever tattooed me has used only plastic saran wrap.. i don't really think its necessarily bad for the tattoo since the wrap is on their for less then an hour and everything under the wrap is clean. It might suffocate it but in the end everything is okay, everyone does it this way. I was recently told about a product called tattoo derm, some clients actually request their tattoos be wrapped in this, its more expensive, but its supposed to be a better solution to saran wrap, keeps thing completely shut out from the tattoo and its water resistant etc..

so for my next tattoo since my artist doesnt have tatuderm, i think ill try the dri loc pads, i had seeing fluids build up under the wrap, and the fear of leakage...ewww. :)

I got to thinking the other day, all the tattoo's i've had done in the states the artists has wrapped with plastic wrap, but the tattoo i got up in Canada the artist put some gauze on after she finished with the tattoo. It made me wonder what is better to put on a tattoo would it be gauze because it allows the tattoo to breath and can absorb the blood or is plastic wrap because it suffocates in a sense the tattoo. I preferred the gauze because compared to plastic wrap i didn't notice the gauze, but the plastic wrap irritated my skin so much i've always taken them off right after getting the tattoo because i hated the sweaty, suffocating feeling.

So, I wanted to know your opinions about putting gauze over a tattoo after it's done vs putting plastic wrap over a tattoo? What would you prefer having over a tattoo?

psst: i wasn't sure if this went here or the tattoo after care section so i just put it here (to be on the safe side)

You really should stick with what your artist has been having you do if it hasn't been causing issues. Aquaphor is exactly the same as Vaseline. 100% petroleum jelly (white peteolatum). They do something to make it a little less thick, but otherwise it's identical.

The way the Tegaderm stuff is supposed to be used is to put it on immediately after the tattoo has been done, left on for 24hours, wash the attoo thoroughly to remove ALL the plasma, then reapply for 48 hours. It is sold specifically for tattoos in roll form as "Tatooderm" The owner of the shop where I work uses it all the time.

Also, discuss it with your artist before using it to make sure he's okay with you using it. Otherwise he may not garantee the work.

You really should stick with what your artist has been having you do if it hasn't been causing issues. Aquaphor is exactly the same as Vaseline. 100% petroleum jelly (white peteolatum). They do something to make it a little less thick, but otherwise it's identical.

The way the Tegaderm stuff is supposed to be used is to put it on immediately after the tattoo has been done, left on for 24hours, wash the attoo thoroughly to remove ALL the plasma, then reapply for 48 hours. It is sold specifically for tattoos in roll form as "Tatooderm" The owner of the shop where I work uses it all the time.

Also, discuss it with your artist before using it to make sure he's okay with you using it. Otherwise he may not garantee the work.

I agree if you are unsure about it follow your tattoo artist !! I always state I'm not a professional and these cases are from "my experiences" ! From my experience it's an amazing product!

Aquaphor is used in all the shops i've been tattooed at. As long as you don't over use it it's perfectly fine. Of course it's up to you to follow whatever advice from whatever shop!

From my experience I highly disagree with putting it on for 24 hours then reapplying it. If you ask people that use the product they will tell you it will hurt like s*** ! Plus other things I don't feel like talking about again..

Anyways @petes67bird follow what is good for you bro. I was only giving you advice because you asked me. Otherwise..

This product was used on me by a great tattooer/guy. I've only heard good things about it from others ..

- - - Updated - - -

I did discuss it and he said I healed well and shouldn't proceed with tegaderm. So I am just using the light layers of unscented lotion. Looks good so far, beginning the peel today

Good advice bro!! I like the product beside healing awesome it' great for when I work. Many artist aren't familiar with this product so there is the unknown aspect of it. Good talking with you !!

I agree if you are unsure about it follow your tattoo artist !! I always state I'm not a professional and these cases are from "my experiences" ! From my experience it's an amazing product!

Aquaphor is used in all the shops i've been tattooed at. As long as you don't over use it it's perfectly fine. Of course it's up to you to follow whatever advice from whatever shop!

From my experience I highly disagree with putting it on for 24 hours then reapplying it. If you ask people that use the product they will tell you it will hurt like s*** ! Plus other things I don't feel like talking about again..

Anyways @petes67bird follow what is good for you bro. I was only giving you advice because you asked me. Otherwise..

This product was used on me by a great tattooer/guy. I've only heard good things about it from others ..

- - - Updated - - -

Not to get into a pissing contest, but I have been working with someone that has been using Tegaderm sold under the brand Name Tatu Derm for 2 years exclusively. The company recommends 12-24 hours for first application on the fresh tattoo. The only clients that have had trouble with removing the initial piece did so because they didn't peel it correctly. He now has most clients stop in the next day for removal and replacement of the initial piece to avoid user error in removal and replacement.

As far as the Aquaphor goes, although in most cases people won't have any serious problems with it, in some cases it can actually cause a person to develop a staph outbreak. And very quickly after they begin using it.

- - - Updated - - -

I did discuss it and he said I healed well and shouldn't proceed with tegaderm. So I am just using the light layers of unscented lotion. Looks good so far, beginning the peel today

That's great! I am a big fan of the old maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" As long as your work is regularly healing fine then that's what matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to get into a pissing contest, but I have been working with someone that has been using Tegaderm sold under the brand Name Tatu Derm for 2 years exclusively. The company recommends 12-24 hours for first application on the fresh tattoo. The only clients that have had trouble with removing the initial piece did so because they didn't peel it correctly. He now has most clients stop in the next day for removal and replacement of the initial piece to avoid user error in removal and replacement.

As far as the Aquaphor goes, although in most cases people won't have any serious problems with it, in some cases it can actually cause a person to develop a staph outbreak. And very quickly after they begin using it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's great! I am a big fan of the old maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" As long as your work is regularly healing fine then that's what matters.

Ok great!

Wheres the science for this ? Aquaphor is almost the same stuff as bepanthen (panthenol vit b cream) how can it give you staph ? From what I am led to believe, you get staph from not washing an open wound properly. I suppose if you are rubbing the cream in with dirty hands you can get it . But the cream doesnt cause it !! Im sure the Lawyers at eucerin would have something to say about those claims lol ...

Edited by Gregor
Wrong person quoted sorry Killercook76 !!

Wheres the science for this ? Aquaphor is almost the same stuff as bepanthen (panthenol vit b cream) how can it give you staph ? From what I am led to believe, you get staph from not washing an open wound properly. I suppose if you are rubbing the cream in with dirty hands you can get it . But the cream doesnt cause it !! Im sure the Lawyers at eucerin would have something to say about those claims lol ...

Although Aquaphor has Panthenol in it, it is not a cream, and it is approximately 99% petroleum in the form of petroleum jelly, and mineral oil. Creams are around 50% water give or take depending on the particular one, and so the petroleum in them absorbs more quickly into the skin instead of sitting on top creating a non-breathable barrier as well as a lovely place for dirt and bacteria to hang out and enter your new tattoo through the wet scab that normally would protect you if it were dry.

As far as the science of staph is concerned, everyone carries their own strain of staph bacteria at all times. Some staph infections are caused by coming into contact with someone else's staph and being unable to fight it off, but plenty are actually just flare-ups of our own bodies staph. Any time there is a wound to a person's body, the chances of the bodies staph bacteria blooming into a full blown infection are increased. Staph flourishes in a warm, moist, airless environment which is exactly what you create when you put a layer of petroleum on top of your new tattoo. If you've ever had a bunch of red bumps, or even small whiteheads form on or around a new tattoo, that was your bodies staph flaring up.

I've had a few clients over the years have no infection problems with their tattoos when using lotion as a moisturizer, but then develop staph outbreaks within a day after trying Aquaphor.

As far as what I know of staph and how it works, the knowledge came from reading a paper written by researchers at Johns Hopkins university about staph, and the most effective cleaning agent to use in the hospital to reduce infections from cross-contamination.

One last thing. You wouldn't use Vaseline on a new tattoo would you? People quit using that stuff on their tattoos decades ago because of the regular infections that came along with the use of it. Aside from being slightly less sticky, and having a very small percentage of other added chemicals added, Aquaphor is nearly identical. A little bit of all vegetable oil based lotion is much better for not only your tattoo, but for your personal health overall.

I can see that petroleum based creams cause can cause scabbing , but the creams themselves dont cause staph. As you say we are all covered in staph , but it doesn't become a problem until the skin is opened. I have been using bepanthen for years and have never had an infection. I think good hygiene ad not layering huge amounts of cream on the tattoo is key to preventing infection . On my most recent tattoos I have been rewrapping for 3 days and this has turned out the fastest healing scab free tattoos I have ever had.

I can see that petroleum based creams cause can cause scabbing , but the creams themselves dont cause staph. As you say we are all covered in staph , but it doesn't become a problem until the skin is opened. I have been using bepanthen for years and have never had an infection. I think good hygiene ad not layering huge amounts of cream on the tattoo is key to preventing infection . On my most recent tattoos I have been rewrapping for 3 days and this has turned out the fastest healing scab free tattoos I have ever had.

Bepanthen's totally amazing. Well, it works for me at least. I never rewrap, though. But then again I heal weirdly fast - the bleeding stops pretty much in ten minutes after I was tattooed so my tattoos are always clean and dry and I never get any scabs.. for which I am eternally grateful, haha