Time.....?

TigerBlue77

Ever? I know that England508 on instagram has posted how long certainpieces take, and I have seen it other places.

To speak to your question though from an outsider's perspective, the amount of time spent on a piece, especially large ones, could be seen as a private matter between them and the client. They spend a lot of time and energy on certain pieces, and are already sharing the photos. If they wanted to volunteer the info, then cool, but some might not see it as the casual onlooker's business.

That's just my ignorant perspective though.

Ppl equate time to cost, in my exp different ppl pay different prices. maybe some artists don't like to talk about time because that opens the door for criticism like 'it could have been done faster' or 'you should have taken longer and done a better job' really its between the artist and client.. If either wishes to discus it when asked that's fine, if not, doesn't bother me..

If I can ask, what's the reasoning behind you asking the time it takes?

Honestly, mostly curiosity. Also because I'm researching for a new artist to do a back piece. Some artist work dead ass slow while others work much faster while still providing superior quality work.

Not looking for a rush job by any means, just someone who works diligently and efficiently!

Although we pay by the hour, for me I don't associate time with cost or expense if that makes sense. If I want a particular persons talent or art per hour price doesn't matter as long as it is done in a reasonable amount of time.

Why does everyone ALWAYS ask questions on the internet about things that don't directly concern them then get pissy when they don't get an answer?

I don't get it?

But really, I'll try to be nice...

personally I don't answer that stuff online anyway. Here's some reasons why, in no particular order:

1) Many people equate time to cost and base their tattooer choices on cost. Most decent tattooers do not want to be involved in a bidding war or pitching for work.

2) serious customers ask at the shop, via email, the phone, conventions or whatever. We get a lot of time wasters, especially online. Nobody want to entertain time wasters.

3) It doesn't really matter.

4) with very large tattoos the time taken to complete it can vary between clients. Simply looking at a photo on a smartphone doesn't tell you that the client was a giant, or very petite. 25 hours for one client could mean 45-60 for another.

5) some of us get enough comments, likes, adds/requests or whatever on instagram per day that the 'news' or 'updates' tab that we miss it - there's less than 100 spaces in there so 100 likes and 2 comments means that your urgent request is missed.

If you need to know how long a particular tattooer would take to give you a certain size tattoo or amount of coverage so you can budget for your tattoo - contact them via the method they prefer, phone, email, whatever.

If you're just curious - get over it, you win some, you lose some.

From a customer perspective, I care 100% about the outcome much less about how long it took. Some artists are fast some are slower.

My thoughts exactly. Time/speed has never been an issue for me, I just want it to look cool when it's finished. Generally I don't plan anything else for the day that I'm getting tattooed outside of getting dinner afterward (most of my tattoos are larger, might be different if it was smaller stuff) so it's not like I need them to rush.

When I was getting my ribs and side tattooed I was thankful for every pause he took and every break that was had!! :D

My thoughts exactly. Time/speed has never been an issue for me, I just want it to look cool when it's finished. Generally I don't plan anything else for the day that I'm getting tattooed outside of getting dinner afterward (most of my tattoos are larger, might be different if it was smaller stuff) so it's not like I need them to rush.

When I was getting my ribs and side tattooed I was thankful for every pause he took and every break that was had!! :D

Yea any day I get tattooed no matter what time it is (or when it goes to) I generally block that day out from doing anything.

The biggest problem here is people equating money and time. When Chad K covered the better part of my outer ankle with a panther and snake combo in less than 45 minutes...well let's just say I wasn't going to pay him 3/4ths of a standard hourly rate (nor would he have let me hahah).

I think it was pretty cool of Stewart and a few others to actually take some time to throw out a few answers to this! I have never even thought about asking an artist this to be perfectly honest....lol! I like their work.....I go and get tattooed by them and usually just ask them up front how much I should save up....and I bring the cash plus whatever I am going to tip them with!