Tattoo bubbling from Saran Wrap not gauze?

thornton8000

Hello,

If there are threads like this I couldn't find it sorry.

My 1st tattoo was gauzed wrapped, and the healing process went great! My most current tattoo was Saran wrapped and certain parts are bubbling.

Is this normal? It's not the whole tattoo just certain parts, that I know my artist had to go over a few times and used different gauge needles.

I'm not too worried about the healing, just wondering if the difference in the until wrapping is what could be causing this?

Input would be great! Thanks all in advance.

Thornton8000

wow that doesn't look good ! i've never had something like that happen to any of my tattoos!

Google it. I'm no artist or professional but I just read that is caused by too much ointment . Basically clean all the ointment and let it air dry without any ointment for a couple of days. Then would leave it alone and just add a small amount of lotion not ointment. The bubbles can cause scabbing and lose of color or holidays.

- - - Updated - - -

Google it. I'm no artist or professional but I just read that is caused by too much ointment . Basically clean all the ointment and let it air dry without any ointment for a couple of days. Then would leave it alone and just add a small amount of lotion not ointment. The bubbles can cause scabbing and lose of color or holidays.

How long did you keep the saran wrap on for btw?

- - - Updated - - -

How long did you keep the saran wrap on for btw?

That was my first thought, too much lotion or ointment.. Personally I use very little, clean it off regularly, pat it dry and wait 10 mins or so before reapplying.

My artist says he can't use aquafor because something like this happens(never seen it but it looks like what he described to me).

That was my first thought, too much lotion or ointment.. Personally I use very little, clean it off regularly, pat it dry and wait 10 mins or so before reapplying.

My artist says he can't use aquafor because something like this happens(never seen it but it looks like what he described to me).

Yeah I only use aquaphor for 1 day. Then I wash it off completely and leave it alone for 2 days (washing it couple times a day). Then third day add very little lotion. Like half a pump(if that make sense).

or

You can use this product called Tegaderm by 3m. Google it. Leave it on for three days. After those three days clean it and add lotion. My last artist used it on me. No scabs at all!!

Yeah I only use aquaphor for 1 day. Then I wash it off completely and leave it alone for 2 days (washing it couple times a day). Then third day add very little lotion. Like half a pump(if that make sense).

or

You can use this product called Tegaderm by 3m. Google it. Leave it on for three days. After those three days clean it and add lotion. My last artist used it on me. No scabs at all!!

I've always used it very sparingly(very small amounts, it goes a looong way with no issues but after my artist said he had an issue like this from using it I make sure it's light, the thing I like the most is it doesn't dry out fast..

I will google that, have an appointment Sunday, maybe I'll give it a go.

I'm interested in the OP's after care product and routine now.

Go back and show the person who did it. Regardless. Do that. Not only can you usually avoid bad advice but also, if you develop any problems/reactions, etc from a tattoo or aftercare. Your tattooer will want to make notes anf ask you some questions and document everything. This is important in figuring out what's going on as well as helping to avoid potential problems in the future.

Go back and show the person who did it. Regardless. Do that. Not only can you usually avoid bad advice but also, if you develop any problems/reactions, etc from a tattoo or aftercare. Your tattooer will want to make notes anf ask you some questions and document everything. This is important in figuring out what's going on as well as helping to avoid potential problems in the future.

You are right!! Don't listen to me if you don't want to! I'm just going by what worked for me!

Tattoo aftercare is what works best for you! You will get so many different answers to this question!

Tegaderm 3m is awesome and was used by my last artist! Good luck!!

Also, just as a general practice, don't self-diagnose for anything. The internet is the last place to get answers to medical questions. Too many variables, 'what ifs' and potential possibilities. The internet certainly provides the quickest source of info, but by no means is that info reliable.

Thanks ! I did say I'm not a professional! Never seen anything like that from me. Like I said good luck !

Still like the 3m stuff a lot! That was the artist who offered it. I understand there are different factors in using Saran or whatever. Hope it goes well!! Good luck next time around!

I've been using AD for covering it with this and my other tattoo, funny thing is After washing letting it dry and applying a very fine layer of tattoo goo salve the bubbling went down and is starting to look better, but I agree with another poster that too much ointment, with the AD i'd try to keep it thin but wasn't always successful but with goo its easier. I'll keep y'all updated with how the go works for me going forward.

thronton8000

I would wait longer than 10 minutes to apply anything after washing. Your skin needs to dry out at least and hour IMO or you will trap excess moisture underneath the ointment.

Sadly at work, sometimes 10mins is all I can give it before returning to work. Thankfully this hasn't caused me any issues.

I kinda had the same problem with one of my tattoos ... the artist who did it told me to just let it air dry completely for 3 or 4 days without applying any cream/ointment whatever and it healed afterwards very well, no color or detail lost

Actually my first major tattoo I fell in the same trap of using AnD. For me .. I repeat for me.. it caused irritation around the tattoo. I was told to the same to discontinue with the ointment and let it dry out for a couple of days. I know that's kinda shocking when artist tell you to dry out your tattoo but it totally worked out for me.

Since then I don't use AnD at all I use aquaphor. For me it's better. Plus didn't like the smell of AnD. I also don't put ointment on for more than 16 to 20 hours. I used to put it on for the whole 24 hours but haven't seen any difference.

I let it dry out until it starts peeling which is about 3 days for me then I put lotion on. No more ointment. I know that stuff is easier to put on but it also irritates the hell out of my skin. Rashes etc.

Don't you find Aquafor to be sticky as all hell?

I hate using it.

We do give it to customers with their aftercare sheets, but I just don't like it. To me it's the consistency of Vaseline, even a small amount, pinky nail amount, it's sticky.

Yes I hate it to that's why I only can stand it for a day. Tegaderm by 3m is the best way so far in terms of healing!