extreme thick scabbing

jody9981

I have taken very good care of my foot tattoo. I have had other tattoos and none of them scabbed over like this one. I am now on week 3 of healing and the really thick scabs are coming off but I am very concerned about the look after they come off. I know that the color will look faded but this seems a bit extreme to me. Please help! Should it darken up some more over time or is it totally messed up? I followed my after care instructions and I have never had healing issues like this before.

My black piece had all the scabbing come off early and it's not looking too bad. It is only a couple of weeks old though so still healing. when all the finer skin scabby leftover go away it'll look ace. I was stressing majorly too. I do have to have a couple of places that need touching up but my son accidentally scratched me. He managed to rake his nails through the whole lot

Don't stress too much. I've heard from a few people that feet seem to take a little longer to heal

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, forgot to ask if it's where white ink is that's mega scabby? My sister had heaps of issues with her white getting super thick scabs but it healed just fine... just took longer

sorry, forgot to ask if it's where white ink is that's mega scabby? My sister had heaps of issues with her white getting super thick scabs but it healed just fine... just took longer

The only white used was to lighten the blue to give a more textured look to the wings. The scab is on the black too. I will try to stop stressing about it. I wanted to post a pick so people could see exactly what I was talking about.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will post another pic when it finally done healing

I'm guessing it's just where they layered one ink over another. Just a guess (educated one). Pretty sure it'll heal. I've been doing a heap of research because getting both of my feet done within 24 hours in a month. apparently they're notorious for drying out.

Yes, I'm crazy getting both feet in 24 hours but running is my cigarette substitute so can't take more time than needed off.

Foot tattoos are probably one of the most hardest places to heal. I had my foot done July 24th and it too scabbed up pretty good. In fact there are some spots on my foot that are still scabbed over. The key is to just let the healing process take it course however long it takes and to not pick the scabs. I was worried at first that I was going to need a touch up cause the blacks look so faded after the scabs naturally fell off but like others have said it's turned out fine.

I had one tattoo on my upper foot get infected, looks nothing like the picture in this post. Mine had a thick scabbing in a crease which eventually lifted and had pus coming out from it. It took the ink with it, which I had touched up after it healed.

My mistake was wearing dark socks to work over it 2 days after it was done. I did tape a telfa pad over it, but it slipped down during the day.

Rob

• 1 year later...
I have taken very good care of my foot tattoo. I have had other tattoos and none of them scabbed over like this one. I am now on week 3 of healing and the really thick scabs are coming off but I am very concerned about the look after they come off. I know that the color will look faded but this seems a bit extreme to me. Please help! Should it darken up some more over time or is it totally messed up? I followed my after care instructions and I have never had healing issues like this before.

My first tattoo took 4 weeks to heal, and looks great. If you took good care of it and its not infected, there is nothing to worry about i think.

• 1 year later...

Ok, but brace yourselves...Because this is seeeeeriously gross!!! :( but The tattoo artist and pharmacist think that it genuinely is just a scab though and will eventually fall off. I've just never seen anything like this before. On any of my 6 other than tattoos. Not sure if it's because of the sensitive areas it's in (upper inner arm)

20160325_211255.jpg

It does not look swollen or red from what i can see. These are usually the indictators if its infected. My advice would be the same as your artist and pharmacist. Dont do anything with it. It will fall off. Whether you will lose color.. you will know if it falls of. If you lose color, no biggy. Your artist can fill that spot up again.

Yeah my artist said that most likely, the worst that will happen will be a bit of fallout. Which I'm not that bothered about because it can be touched up at a later stage. Yeah, no pain or swelling. And no oozing or nasty smell, so I was trying not to panic too much because nons of the signs of infection were really there. I guess it just looks really bad and because it's never happened before, it unnerved me a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah my artist said that most likely, the worst that will happen will be a bit of fallout. Which I'm not that bothered about because it can be touched up at a later stage. Yeah, no pain or swelling. And no oozing or nasty smell, so I was trying not to panic too much because nons of the signs of infection were really there. I guess it just looks really bad and because it's never happened before, it unnerved me a lot!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If the skin is cracked or its weeping slight, put a little bit of antiseptic cream on it, but not too much. Scabs will eventually fall off. And if they take some colour with it, so be it. It's better than getting an infection. Check out the picture I posted above. If that scab fell off, then I can guarantee yours will :) 

I would recommend not even putting lotion/ointment on scabs. If you get them too wet, they can get mushy and slosh off before they're ready to come off, or you could accidentally rub them off. Just leave everything alone and try to not touch them as much as possible. I had a couple big, ugly, yellow ones on my lower leg when I got it done because it was oozing constantly every time I stood up or walked around, but it all healed fine.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...