Colour longevity

HettyKet

I'll be having my first tattoo(s) in a few weeks and I'm a bit of a research junkie. He's wanting to do the design and lining at our first meeting so, to me, it seems like a good idea to be as prepared as possible! I'm thinking of just sticking to black and grey, however I think I'm open to using some colour if the tattooist recommends it. Can anyone tell me which colours are likely to last best (assuming excellent sun protection is used)?

I've tried the search function but haven't found anything about this - maybe I'm doing it wrong.

To be honest it depends on many factors with how long color will last. It could vary from artists skill, pigment used, how it healed.... etc. Who are you wanting to get tattooed by?

So, even with those caveats, there are no sweeping generalisations that can be made? I've gathered that white doesn't last well at all and that 'if it's not bold, it wont hold' but surely there's more to be found out?

I'm seeing Willem at Bunker Tattoo in Breda (Netherlands), I linked to his instagram profile on my introduction thread and people seemed to think his work was to an acceptable level. I think he's about my age (mid 30's) or a bit younger so he wont have have very, very old work of his I can look at...

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/4433-long-term-tattoo-care.html

Isn't solely about longevity of color but good advice here, I had similar concerns.

Thanks - I've been reading that one already :)

- - - Updated - - -

I like this sort of 'dusty' colouring a lot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/land_camera/9313285338/and http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/attachments/tattoo-designs-books-flash/4581d1300289228-rose-tattoos-hear-rose-mandala-tattoo-thomas-hooper-february-10-2011-003.jpg

Any thoughts on that? I think b&g is probably safest when it comes down to. I always wear factor 50 sunscreen anyway, but still.

If you want something that's going to last and not change, get a nice archival quality print of one of those botanical drawings you like. Don't get a tattoo.

Bless! I fear you have misunderstood.

I like the way tattoos develop and change with time, that's a lot of the point of having them (for me). Using a(ny) colour which would need to be touched up with time (to keep the design balanced) would spoil the natural aging process of the tattoo, as far as I'm concerned.

If you want a color tattoo then go color . Black n grey with some color isn't something most artist are down to do in my experience..

Then again Black n grey n red is a killer combo! I think that is the only combo that looks good if you want to add some color into a black n grey tattoo. ONLY MY OPINION!!

No matter what color you use it depends on many factors how well it will stay. If it's in an area where the sun don't shine i would really concern yourself. Even if it is .. There is always touch ups.. So either way I would MAINLY be concerned about the skill of the artist!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to instagram of the chap I'm seeing Instagram - anything anybody has to say about his work would be greatly appreciated!

I was thinking of some of the tattoos in black and grey and some colour rather than adding hints of colour to a large black and grey piece. It is indeed his black, grey and red pieces that have got me thinking about this.

well look at my profile I have a black n red tattoo... Honestly I would go black n grey. No color. you could always go color for the next tattoo. Or the the japanese style tattoo they have color for the main subject and black n grey back ground . Look at more japanese stuff if you want a better idea of your tattoo.

what are you looking to get?

Honestly his work looks decent. Then again I have high expectations getting work from some of the best here in the U.S.

- - - Updated - - -

as far as artist I know denmark is far from where you live but check out Henning Jorgensen. Compare the two artist. Henning is one of the best so..

Yeah, I there's quite a lot of Traditional American influences in what I'm after. Some Old School too. I'd like a cohesive set of tattoos from 3/4 sleeve length to shoulder (one or two of which will deal with the scarring) but nothing dipping down the chest or onto my back, because, indeed, I'd like to keep the space open for later.

I don't think I'm up for a single piece over the whole area, I like well placed negative space too much and the density and detail that it seems I'll need over the scaring is too heavy a style of work for me to want to carry right across my skin.

I've been brewing this for at least 10 years, hopefully that's time enough...

WRT Denmark - that's not doable for me. I'm up for future work in the UK but I'd this arm done by a single artist.

Yeah, I there's quite a lot of Traditional American influences in what I'm after. Some Old School too. I'd like a cohesive set of tattoos from 3/4 sleeve length to shoulder (one or two of which will deal with the scarring) but nothing dipping down the chest or onto my back, because, indeed, I'd like to keep the space open for later. ...

Horribly embarrassed myself again! Ho hum. I'm rather confused about the plethora of terms used for the various styles - there seem to be so many more terms than styles, can be overwhelming to the uninitiated.

So, yes. I mean, old fashioned black and grey realism with a touch of Old School (which I take to mean Sailor Jerry like stuff).

My advice re: sun protection is long sleeves/pants. You can't be a show off, but at least your tattoos won't age too rapidly (tho they will, of course, age). And I agree with @Killercook76 about Henning, though I realize I often agree with the Killercook on many of these forums. I have a good friend with a piece of Henning's and it is killer, and though it is mainly black & grey, he added some vibrant red and yellow that help set the black apart from standard b&g and it is gorgeous.

However, if Denmark isn't easy for you, if American traditional/old school is your goal, and the UK is in your ambit, then please check Frith Street.

My advice re: sun protection is long sleeves/pants. You can't be a show off, but at least your tattoos won't age too rapidly (tho they will, of course, age). And I agree with @Killercook76 about Henning, though I realize I often agree with the Killercook on many of these forums. I have a good friend with a piece of Henning's and it is killer, and though it is mainly black & grey, he added some vibrant red and yellow that help set the black apart from standard b&g and it is gorgeous.

However, if Denmark isn't easy for you, if American traditional/old school is your goal, and the UK is in your ambit, then please check Frith Street.

Yeah henning is crazy good! I forgot about frith street!! I personally love black n red! Yellow would be cool too!' The reason why artist say either or is because it could have the effect of a unfinished tattoo. My advice would be for the first one just go black n grey! I mean talk to your artist! Definitely go check out frith street!! They have some amazing artist!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah henning is crazy good! I forgot about frith street!! I personally love black n red! Yellow would be cool too!' The reason why artist say either or is because it could have the effect of a unfinished tattoo. My advice would be for the first one just go black n grey! I mean talk to your artist! Definitely go check out frith street!! They have some amazing artist!!!

Bless! I fear you have misunderstood.

I like the way tattoos develop and change with time, that's a lot of the point of having them (for me). Using a(ny) colour which would need to be touched up with time (to keep the design balanced) would spoil the natural aging process of the tattoo, as far as I'm concerned.

There's a saying attributed to Bob Roberts about how a tattoo should look great when it's just lines, finished with the shading, and any colour is a bonus. I think that's a good rule of thumb about how a design is going to age, because the colour is going to be the first to go. Beyond that you're starting to get into trade secret territory and nobody with any worthwhile knowledge is going to give that out.