Would you go back?

To a tattoo artist after your new tattoo getting infected?

This is my newest dilemma, find a new one or stick with the one that has done all my ink. (Granted it's only 2 tattoos)

The first one he rocked it, the newest one looks like a rush job, found out today it's infected, lines are not consistent.

Reason I ask is I plan on getting a sleeve done on the other arm, and a handful of smaller tattoos in the future. You guys here gave me a guys name I'm checking out tomorrow and will be talking "shop". Since the style I want is Japanese for the sleeve, I want to make sure it looks great.

Thoughts ideas throw them at me, so I can make the best decision I can.

Thanks,

thornton8000

Lots of people do it either way.. Some stick with one artist while others collect from various artists.

My artist has done all four of mine but his wife is extremely talented and I'm hoping to get tattooed by her as well and in the future I plan on being tattooed by other artists in The future.

I don't believe most artists would be offended by collecting tattoos from other artists.

If you want work of a certain style you should go to an artist that excels in that style, simple as that

Do you believe your artist is responsible for your infection!? That's the vibe I'm getting?

deadsp0t: I'm not sure' date=' the last one he did was no issues, this one the day after it was done it was bubbling, and hard eavy scabbing and it wasn't the same as the 1st one he did for me. Not sure which way I'm leaning, other than I feel he rushed the last tattoo.[/quote']

How are you healing it? Heavy Lotions like aquifur can have effects like your describing, even when used lightly.. My artist can't use it all.

I'm no expert of course.. Personally I'm crazy about keeping mine clean. I got tattooed Sunday and spoke to my artist about dry healing and he said its fine and he said he does this for a day or so..

color ink may be my issue, B&G I had no issues with whatsoever. The artist I use has a great reputation with everyone I asked before going to him, I think he made mistakes since (the more I look at it), that he was rushing the tattoo. (Tattoo appointment was at 2:30pm he didn't get started till 5:30pm, he was finished at roughly 7:15pm) It seemed like he was having issues getting color to stay and look good. I don't know I'm just frustrated with the last experience and with how this tattoo is healing. Makes me just question if I should go back there.

No one can really give you the best advice as they do not know the artist and or the caliber of his or her work. In my experience infections occur nine times out of ten from customers. If you are new to the tattoo world take extra care following your artists instructions on aftercare. Don't rush to pin it on the artist however you can also observe an artists habits as he or she works.....generally being a clean freak is a plus. Lastly don't sell yourself short...this is your body we are talking about here decorate it the best way you possibly can. If you have doubts seek out someone you like better get to know the person a bit first and make sure they are clean as well as someone you can spend a great deal of time with as a sleeve is a big commitment.

sorry to hear that !! IN MY OPINION !!!!!!!!

I would save some serious money and travel to NYC OR CALI. Or wait for a convention and get some quality work from artist that are in high demand. It's only going to be on your body forever so another few years or months isn't that big of a deal. Shaky lines??

Not always true but when choosing an artist if they have a waiting list then there is a good chance they are good! Would you ever think about traveling to NY for a tattoo?

No one can really give you the best advice as they do not know the artist and or the caliber of his or her work. In my experience infections occur nine times out of ten from customers. If you are new to the tattoo world take extra care following your artists instructions on aftercare. Don't rush to pin it on the artist however you can also observe an artists habits as he or she works.....generally being a clean freak is a plus. Lastly don't sell yourself short...this is your body we are talking about here decorate it the best way you possibly can. If you have doubts seek out someone you like better get to know the person a bit first and make sure they are clean as well as someone you can spend a great deal of time with as a sleeve is a big commitment.

This is really good advice.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are not happy with the tattoo that's one thing, but you say it's infected? I hear a lot of people throw around that term, especially people with a couple tattoos, every time they have a tattoo that heals hard. I have seen very few tattoos from professional artists become infected and the ones I have are usually on people who live in the gym and like rolling around in other people's staph. But you know their is a reason things need to be sterile so it is definitely plausible. Either way this is a discussion to be hard with the tattooer, he should at least have the chance to address your concerns, regardless of whether you go somewhere else from now on or not.

David Flores: it is a confirmed infection from doc and tattoo artist. He addressed that yes it's infected, yes lines broke during your healing and yes we need to touch that up and fix color that came out in the healing and scabbing process. Everyone that has seen the tattoo said that he rushed it compared to my other tattoo, and that lines are not consistent on one arm its thin than goes thicker granted part of that will be covered up after the rest of the tattoo is done, but the fact is it's not 100% how I wanted it.

I'll add photos here of how it looks in my next post.

thornton8000

- - - Updated - - -

img_0023_thumb.jpg

img_0032_thumb.jpg

img_0031_thumb.jpg

image_192302_thumb.jpg

Here are photos of the inconsistent lines on the arm, chest, and crotch area, that are scabbing and broken lines. And scabbed over hat on head

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

thornton8000

Edited by thornton8000
add picture to post

David Flores: it is a confirmed infection from doc and tattoo artist. He addressed that yes it's infected, yes lines broke during your healing and yes we need to touch that up and fix color that came out in the healing and scabbing process. Everyone that has seen the tattoo said that he rushed it compared to my other tattoo, and that lines are not consistent on one arm its thin than goes thicker granted part of that will be covered up after the rest of the tattoo is done, but the fact is it's not 100% how I wanted it.

I'll add photos here of how it looks in my next post.

thornton8000

- - - Updated - - -

img_0023_thumb.jpg

img_0032_thumb.jpg

img_0031_thumb.jpg

image_192302_thumb.jpg

Here are photos of the inconsistent lines on the arm, chest, and crotch area, that are scabbing and broken lines. And scabbed over hat on head

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

thornton8000

I don't think I would go back. Just on the basis of the quality of the tattoo. Infections are a weird thing, was the cause determined to be overworking of the skin, or was it an unsanitary work enviroment, either way really they shouldn't happen, and like I said, really seen very few in a professional tattoo shop. I have had inexperiened tattooers (apprentices) tattoo me and it's taken like a month or two to heal, but has never been infected There are plenty of good people who tattoo in MN, like mentioned before, Aloha Monkey in Burnsville I believe, Uptown Tattoo does good work. My friend just started getting tattooed at a shop called Live Fast Die Young Tattoo they are doing a killer chest piece of a ship. I don't know what shop you got this done at, but that's how I see it.

David,

Thanks for your thoughts. It was done at A-1 tattoo in west St. Paul. The same artist did my other tattoo and I love it and get compliments daily. I will be going to 7th street tattoo in St. Paul to look at getting my sleeve done by Dan Lowell. I will probably go back get it fixed and then be done with the artist that did this tattoo.

It's bothersome since I paid good money for this, just to watch the color come out and lines be broken and deal with major scabbing.

thornton8000

Idk, it's totally your decision but I would go to a different shop to get it touched up/reworked. Yeah, te artist that did it will touch it up for free, but getting a quality tattoo should never be about money. And like @David Flores said there's something wrong with the shop, artist, etc. Considering your tattoo is infected. IMO, every one recommending you "don't go back" includes getting a touch up. Just my $0.02.

based on the art work alone id take myself and my cash somewhere else... as far as an infection goes, thats a bit of a stretch. like another person said 9 times out of 10 an infection is usually caused by something the customer did. i would think that if it was truly the shop that caused the infection they would have an outbreak of them due to an unsanitary work environment. its not that hard to keep a tattoo shop clean. walking around in the dirty day to day world on the other hand is different.

... as far as an infection goes, thats a bit of a stretch. like another person said 9 times out of 10 an infection is usually caused by something the customer did.

When a tattoo on my ankle got infected, I was livid - I'd been going to this guy for awhile and how could he do this and yada yada yada. Then I realized after about four months of infected tattoo that I'd gone in the children's foam pit at one of those "Trampoline World" places when the tattoo had juuuust scabbed over.

So, we tattooed some hydrogen peroxide in it and it healed up in about three days.

I'm not trying to imply that you did something nearly as stupid, but just retrace your steps afterwards and see if maybe there's something you did without thinking that may have caused it before you write this guy off over it.

As far as the quality of the tattoo goes, I think it speaks for itself. If you aren't happy with it, go somewhere else. You don't owe anybody anything, pending the entrance into a binding contract.