Greetings!

Arya

Hello all! I am Arya from the states. When asked as a young girl what I wanted to be when I grew up, my response was always "a tattoo artist." Though that dream has since changed, my love for body art remains intact. I realize that tattoos are for life, and I want to be completely sure about what I choose to get, so I have not yet had any work done. That is, in part, why I decided to join the forum--for inspiration and advice. I do have one tattoo in mind, but it is not exactly conventional, and I haven't quite figured out how to go about it. I'll go ahead and touch on that in the hopes that someone out there has a few words of wisdom.

Forewarning: this is going to make for quite an unusual introduction, but here it goes.

For my first tattoo, I'm looking to have some scars covered up. They are about ten years old and are the result of a very dark time in my life. These scars run down my left forearm from the crease of my elbow to my wrist. There are about 40 1/2"-1 1/2" straight line scars in all directions (horizontal, vertical, diagonal). Some have faded considerably, while others remain pronounced. It goes without saying that these scars make me extremely uncomfortable in my own skin. They are an irritating reminder of something I've long since moved past, so I would love nothing more than to turn them into something I can be proud of. I'm not a huge fan of flower tattoos, which is mostly what I've been suggested. I'd like to for the main focus to be a quote, "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." Does anyone have an idea of what sort of background I could put behind this quote that could blend naturally with the scars? I can post a picture of the area if necessary.

So, like I said, this is an unusual introduction, I'm sure, but I greatly appreciate evryone's time nonetheless. I am looking forward to becoming a contributing member to this community in the future.

Cheers!

Welcome, Arya! For a scar coverup the best advice I can give is that you should find a tattoo artist who does work you absolutely love, and talk with him or her about it, preferably in person. What is or isn't possible as a coverup is going to depend on a lot of factors and so it's pretty much impossible to offer any specific advice on a forum like this. If you tell us where you live, I'm sure we can suggest some great artists in your area.