Pre 1985 tattooers you've been tattooed by

teddibease

yeah, stell said he thought bob is the person most influential to tattooing in texas. because of who he taught to tattoo.

bob has this joke he makes when people are getting work by someone other than him, basically he goes "oh i really like how you put the dick in there..."

then i learned he taught dave lum to tattoo and i thought whoa, at one point maybe that wasn't a joke and something he didn't say out loud. of course bob is a really nice dude and doesn't agree with hiding shit in tattoos...

I haven't seen more than a handful of photos of Dave Lum's tattoos, but did he really *hide* the dicks in those?

Jack Rudy,Mike Perfetto,Brian Everett,Cap Szumski.I would also like to get tattooed by Dana Brunson,Richard Stell,Debbie Lenz,Sailor Jerry Swallow,Terry Tweed,and a few others.

I do remember checking out a shop near Baltimore around 21yrs.ago.I think it was Tux's shop.The shop was in a small strip mall,and I remember it was filled with all this old time flash all over the place.

Wow, Stanley Moskowitz did my 1st tattoo in 1977. The shop was bought out by this guy Mike in 1997 and he preserved a lot of the memorabilia from the original S&W Tattoo shop. The stuff is awesome.

I also had some work done by Wayne Loftain, who is now in Florida and not tattooing.

JC Fly in Medford did my fu-dog in 1982, he's been gone for years but his son Greg is tattooing and does a nice job.

Rob

Wow, Stanley Moskowitz did my 1st tattoo in 1977. The shop was bought out by this guy Mike in 1997 and he preserved a lot of the memorabilia from the original S&W Tattoo shop. The stuff is awesome.

I also had some work done by Wayne Loftain, who is now in Florida and not tattooing.

JC Fly in Medford did my fu-dog in 1982, he's been gone for years but his son Greg is tattooing and does a nice job.

Rob

Any pictures of the Stanley tattoo?

Jack Rudy,Mike Perfetto,Brian Everett,Cap Szumski.I would also like to get tattooed by Dana Brunson,Richard Stell,Debbie Lenz,Sailor Jerry Swallow,Terry Tweed,and a few others.

I do remember checking out a shop near Baltimore around 21yrs.ago.I think it was Tux's shop.The shop was in a small strip mall,and I remember it was filled with all this old time flash all over the place.

I highly suggest you definitely get tattooed by Dana Brunson and Debbie Lenz....well....all of the tattoo artists you listed as well....But I had great experiences at both Dana's shop and Debbie's shop during my Ohio trip two months back!

Not just great tattoo artists but also really awesome people!

- - - Updated - - -

Please please keep this thread going. I'm looking up these names on Google (thankful for this part of technology) and just reading up on the amazing history and backgrounds of these tattoo artists.

It was a really great decision....at least for me.....to seek out these artists who had put in their time and were very happy to just sit in their shops and tattoo whatever walked through the door on a daily basis!

Some of these people were in magazines back in the 70's...80's....90's....but they would have tattooed regardless....and really didn't seek out fame! To them it was a job and a way to support themselves doing something they loved doing!

And it's my opinion that is what tattooing should be about!

I haven't seen more than a handful of photos of Dave Lum's tattoos, but did he really *hide* the dicks in those?

A couple years ago a guy came in and showed us his new Lum tattoo and point out that it didn't have any dicks in it (his other Lum tattoos clearly had dicks in them). Well it didn't have any dicks in it, but the fish he got couldn't have been drawn more like a dick, but we let him have his victory. On the other hand i have seen quite a few Lum tattoos lately that don't have dicks in them.

Ashley keeps talking about setting something up with Lum, and I say I will tag along and get a little souvenir tattoo, but at this point I just need to set something up and drag his ass down there.

Chucho Garcia is a pretty kick ass tattooer, he has been tattooing since 1980 and has a killer shop up in Bellingham Washington, a must see for the tattoo enthusiast. If you a driving I would stop in Seattle @ Lucky Devil South tattoo and take a look at some of Ernie Gosnell's collection and his shop filled with Higgs, Harrison, and Maaske flash and all his hand painted signage. If my recollection is right Ernie started Electric Ladyland Tattoo in New Orleans as well before he moved up to Seattle and opened his two Lucky Devil shops. Ernie has the best line in the sign painter trailer below. Both these guys are legends in my mind.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Gold-Tattoo/207352882635334?id=207352882635334&sk=photos_stream

http://shelby.tv/video/vimeo/61006621/sign-painters-official-trailer

Yeah sounds like the spot. At that time there were about 3 shops in the surrounding area ; Tux's, Dragon Moon, and Gypsy's; your description fits the shop location Tux had at that time.

Right on man.

I highly suggest you definitely get tattooed by Dana Brunson and Debbie Lenz....well....all of the tattoo artists you listed as well....But I had great experiences at both Dana's shop and Debbie's shop during my Ohio trip two months back!

Not just great tattoo artists but also really awesome people.

Hopefully I can take a road trip someday and get tattooed by some of the people on that list.I just think some of these old timers have a lot of history behind them,and interesting stories to tell.

Yeah sounds like the spot. At that time there were about 3 shops in the surrounding area ; Tux's, Dragon Moon, and Gypsy's; your description fits the shop location Tux had at that time.

Right on man.

yeah it sounds like Tux's place.......

Not sure if Higgs would have been there at the time.....

Not sure if Dragon Moon had moved to the spot they are in now at that point....

Gypsy wasn't in a strip mall kinda thing....

Not just great tattoo artists but also really awesome people!

I'm only a couple of hours from Cincinnati, I will definitely check out Dana's shop the next time I'm there.

Tattooed by a guy called Steve in Bath around 1970. Don't know what became of him. He gave me two great tattoos though. Got tattooed by Doc Price in Plymouth. He was 80 and has been tattooing since the 1940s, amazing guy and some great tales. I first saw one of his tattoos when I was in Approved School (Reform School) in the 1970s. It took 40 years but I got there. I've a great big framed picture of me and Doc that takes pride of place on the wall in my house.

I've also got a Bristol Tattoo Club bat tattooed by Jimmie Skuse (Les Skuses grandson). Jimmie has been tattooing for a few years I'm not sure if Jimmie has been tattooing since 1985 but the family lineage dates back to the 1940s.

Alex Binnie did his version of my first ever tattoo a couple of years ago. He is such an important person in British tattooing history.

At the London tattoo convention I'm getting tattooed by Henning and in October, on my birthday, by Lal Hardy.

George Bone is also on my list.

Got my first two from Stano at Tattoo Zone in the Daytona area circa 86/87, though he's been in business since 1980. One was covered a couple years ago, but it had held lines and colors like the month it was put on, for real. (The other looks sharp to this day too, but is flat black.) Have to admit, I kind of get a kick out of wearing tattoos older than the "kids" I regularly patronize today!

- - - Updated - - -

XvGD9jm.jpg

Judge Dredd tattoo on shoulder, now covered

leOBKe8.jpg

Marilyn flash on chest

Both by Stano

Wow! Got any photos of it?

Well yes. Thanks @hogg for asking hahaha....

The pic I'll post is current. The whole thing was actually re-outlined and re-coloured by a different tattooer about 3 years later. At that time the birds were added along with some tiny alleged plant matter hahaha...and along with serations on the leaves, which was absent in the original. But, the original design is still in tact. I wrote a bit about the experience in another thread. It ain't bad for nearly 30 years old. I still like it. The bold has holded :cool:

And I wrote about this in another thread as well but too lazy to find a link, sorry ;) I found this second pic I believe on Mike Wilson's Instagram. Pic of he and Tony Polito at Smith Street? This freaked me the F out. The flash sheet on the right behind Mr. Polito has my tattoo on it and I hadn't seen the original design anywhere since I picked it off the wall so many years ago. Middle left off the sheet. Has me very curious about its origins. Obviously age old subject matter but, who first drew that one?

Oops...pics reversed. Cheers !