Is dotwork a fad or does it have a place in traditional tattooing?

HettyKet

I took the original post to mean more like the tattoos Mike Adams is doing (I am sure I've seen other people doing stippled Americana tattoos too, but Mike Adams is the first person to come to mind) than Hooper, Jondix, etc tattoos. I think those Mike Adams tattoos look cool, but I do feel that it's something that people are going to play around with a bit but that probably won't stick around for all that long. Time will tell. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter either way. Get the tattoos you want to get.

I also think that part of the problem with all the information about tattoos being available on the internet is that there's just too much out there and not enough good sense about it. It's absurd that somebody with no tattoos could go into a tattoo shop and ask for a tattoo to be applied with a specific technique. Find a good tattooer and trust him or her to know what is best for the execution of the tattoo.

I took the original post to mean more like the tattoos Mike Adams is doing (I am sure I've seen other people doing stippled Americana tattoos too, but Mike Adams is the first person to come to mind) than Hooper, Jondix, etc tattoos. I think those Mike Adams tattoos look cool, but I do feel that it's something that people are going to play around with a bit but that probably won't stick around for all that long. Time will tell. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter either way. Get the tattoos you want to get.

I also think that part of the problem with all the information about tattoos being available on the internet is that there's just too much out there and not enough good sense about it. It's absurd that somebody with no tattoos could go into a tattoo shop and ask for a tattoo to be applied with a specific technique. Find a good tattooer and trust him or her to know what is best for the execution of the tattoo.

Yeah I liked that over stippled stuff the first few times I saw it, but I think I would rather have a real cool full color bird on top of a skull that has some stiple shading in it, then just an outline and a bunch of dots. I could see maybe a tiny filler piece done that way, but I don't think it would work out very well for larger pieces, too much detail lost IMO.

It's absurd that somebody with no tattoos could go into a tattoo shop and ask for a tattoo to be applied with a specific technique. Find a good tattooer and trust him or her to know what is best for the execution of the tattoo.

Why? It's their money and it will be on their body forever.

Asking for a specific tattoo to be done in a particular style or technique, to means the customer has some research at the very least.. Right?

Help me out here, what am I missing?

Personally I take an example if what I want, tell him what I want, how I want it to look and where I want it and he makes it happen.. Again, am I missing something here? Is there some kinda unwritten code where I gotta take whatever the artist wants to give me if I have no tattoos?

:confused:

Asking for a specific tattoo to be done in a particular style or technique, to means the customer has some research at the very least.. Right?

Personally I take an example if what I want, tell him what I want, how I want it to look and where I want it and he makes it happen.. Again, am I missing something here? Is there some kinda unwritten code where I gotta take whatever the artist wants to give me if I have no tattoos?

Why? Because in tattooing the customer usually isn't right. Because tattooing isn't the sort of democratic activity where you have an equal say to somebody who has spent years or decades constantly working at his or her craft because you read something on the internet.

It would be like a client coming in and dictating what needle grouping they should use to outline their tattoo with is what I think he is getting at. If you just said a really like all those dots and leave it at that it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe it's just how you pose the idea, suggestion vs demand.

You are right it is their money and their body, and listening to the tattooer is optional, but that is how a lot of bad tattoos happen. Obviously there will be a lot of input needed, but it's up the tattooer to make your idea into a tattoo and if you aren't receptive, than you aren't really getting there best.

Why? Because in tattooing the customer usually isn't right. Because tattooing isn't the sort of democratic activity where you have an equal say to somebody who has spent years or decades constantly working at his or her craft because you read something on the internet.

I don't think a customer should demand anything, but I suspect the artist would appreciate a customer that is more decisive about what they want..

If people can't gain knowledge by reading online then sites like this one wouldn't continue to exist.

Guess once again I respectfully agree to disagree.

It would be like a client coming in and dictating what needle grouping they should use to outline their tattoo with is what I think he is getting at. If you just said a really like all those dots and leave it at that it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe it's just how you pose the idea' date=' suggestion vs demand.

You are right it is their money and their body, and listening to the tattooer is optional, but that is how a lot of bad tattoos happen. Obviously there will be a lot of input needed, but it's up the tattooer to make your idea into a tattoo and if you aren't receptive, than you aren't really getting there best.[/quote']

I'm not suggesting a client dictate anything as technical as a needle grouping or anything even remotely close to a trade secret..

What I am saying is that there should be no issue if I walk in and say to my artist I'd like this image in a traditional style. From that point the artist will advise etc..

I think I'm being misunderstood..

I'm not the client that demands anything..

I bring ray an image or idea, tell him what I like and ALWAYS say 'you have full artistic liberty' I say that because like said, he has made tattooing his craft not me.

If I came in and had no idea what I wanted, what style I wanted and no idea where I wanted I would be told to reconsider getting tattooed..

Not cool to expect ppl to be educated but not have opinions..

I'm not suggesting a client dictate anything as technical as a needle grouping or anything even remotely close to a trade secret..

What I am saying is that there should be no issue if I walk in and say to my artist I'd like this image in a traditional style. From that point the artist will advise etc..

Saying you want a certain shading technique vs just saying you want a traditional tattoo are two different things. I was using the needle grouping example to try to illustrate that point. Also I have always contended that the best advice someone can give on the internet about tattooing, is get off the internet and go into a reputable tattoo shop. I didn't learn what I know just hanging out in tattoo forums it required some in real life trial and error at real tattoo shops. There is no book or iphone app that will make you a savvy tattoo customer and 99% of what's on the internet is misinformation.

Saying you want a certain shading technique vs just saying you want a traditional tattoo are two different things. I was using the needle grouping example to try to illustrate that point. Also I have always contended that the best advice someone can give on the internet about tattooing' date=' is get off the internet and go into a reputable tattoo shop. I didn't learn what I know just hanging out in tattoo forums it required some in real life trial and error at real tattoo shops. There is no book or iphone app that will make you a savvy tattoo customer and 99% of what's on the internet is misinformation.[/quote']

IMO only, there's a HUGE difference in asking for a shading technique and demanding it.

IMO only, there's a HUGE difference in asking for a shading technique and demanding it.

I would say there is as well, but it still could rub people the wrong way as a technical term that a customer shouldn't even know about, I am more thinking of hypothetical situation than you asking for it btw. Really a silly conversation, but just trying to make a point, Sorry if I got carried away.

I would say there is as well' date=' but it still could rub people the wrong way as a technical term that a customer shouldn't even know about, I am more thinking of hypothetical situation than you asking for it btw. Really a silly conversation, but just trying to make a point, Sorry if I got carried away.[/quote']

Agreed and I understand.. No bigz :cool:

Yea I since I've seen Mike Adams' work, I always thought that a little filler tattoo in that style would be fun. Interesting to see others see that too.

Before it showed up in tattooing, it was always referred to as "stippling".

Also, mentioned him before but cory ferguson has been doing that style for a long time as well and usually gets left off people's lists of who's doing/been doing this style.

Yea, before I got on these forums I always knew that as stippling. Hell the only reason I remember that is because I always thought the world sounded funny when I heard my mom (artist) say it.

• 4 weeks later...
Before it showed up in tattooing, it was always referred to as "stippling".

There's "stippling" (which I've only seen in online photographs, and then, only in "neo-tribal" designs), and then there's the traditional "dots 'n stars" (which -- dammit! -- I still need to get done to complete my chest/shoulders).

I like the stippling-as-shading, but I wonder how -- in the long-run -- it'll hold up; specifically, will closely-spaced dots run together, like closely-spaced lines often do? And, would that, necessarily, be a "Bad Thing"? Makes me think of the moderating effect that Time has on gray-scale work. Dunno.

I do like the stippling as "background" for some women's filigree tattoos -- call me sexist... whatever... but a bracelet like the one the OP linked-to (on a woman) is definitely eye-catching. :o

There's "stippling" (which I've only seen in online photographs, and then, only in "neo-tribal" designs), and then there's the traditional "dots 'n stars" (which -- dammit! -- I still need to get done to complete my chest/shoulders).

I like the stippling-as-shading, but I wonder how -- in the long-run -- it'll hold up; specifically, will closely-spaced dots run together, like closely-spaced lines often do? And, would that, necessarily, be a "Bad Thing"? Makes me think of the moderating effect that Time has on gray-scale work. Dunno.

I do like the stippling as "background" for some women's filigree tattoos -- call me sexist... whatever... but a bracelet like the one the OP linked-to (on a woman) is definitely eye-catching. :o

Thanks! I found some reasonable, but grotty and old, handmade needle lace. Along the line s of this. IMG_0266.jpg I think we're going with something based on some of those samples for the cuff on this first arm but something like the bracelet is still in the running for the other arm, when the time comes.

Thanks! I found some reasonable, but grotty and old, handmade needle lace. Along the line s of this. IMG_0266.jpg I think we're going with something based on some of those samples for the cuff on this first arm but something like the bracelet is still in the running for the other arm, when the time comes.

For a tattoo like that I would go to Jondix or not get it at all.

Oh, yes, with it being cream lace on a black background I can totally see how you'd read it like that - the cream as negative space. Would be lovely - I see it myself only now you say it. But, no, beautiful as I find much of Jondix's work it's really not what I'm after.

It was actual, physical needle lace I gave him - quite a few pieces of varying complexity. I guess the stuff just gives a totally different impression in real life. It's just, erm, well, lace.

- - Updated - -

Also gave photos of circus girls with cuffs - this is the only image I have that I can zoom in well enough for it to be worth posting. Jean Furella Carroll by Charlie Wagner, natch.

5ce54a0cd29839875f5174c015fe0491.jpg

So, yeah, I'm looking at something more along the lines of this from Saira Hunjan:

661764b67ac809bb37e6090c814c6756.jpg

It's a bit fussy and flowery for my taste and based on venetian lace rather than needle lace. It also manages to look quite crude. But still, much more along these lines than a Yondix style interpretation.

I prefer the relative simplicity of @Mike Bennett 's piece on Kendra (also venetian lace, I think) but it's still a bit too fussy for my personal taste, also dotty, as you see.

I really don't think we'll be going with the dotty thang and certainly nothing based on venetian lace (also, it's a cuff rather than a chest piece). Will have to see what Willem comes up with.

@Graeme Hope that clarifies a bit!