How will these hold up?

petes67bird

Thanks killer. I can always cutout the Mr horsepower etc. Save those for a possible full sleeve down the road. I want to start with a half and see how if it is difficult doing my line of work. Right now I plan on wearing 3/4 inch sleeves to work under my scrubs. I also had a concern about the rottweiler head and the flow of the sleeve. Only problem is that has the most meaning to me, he is like my first born. Thanks

I got my actual first born's name tattooed on me. I much prefer it to a portrait of her, but that's just me. You might consider doing the same.

I got my actual first born's name tattooed on me. I much prefer it to a portrait of her, but that's just me. You might consider doing the same.

Thanks hog, never even thought of maybe like a bone with his name. Maybe something better will come to mind, but I would like something more than just the name. Maybe a dog bowl etc.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

His/her fav toy? Something like that would look nice in a traditional

Great idea. This is exactly why I wanted to brainstorm with you guys. A portrait isn't really what I wanted but I love my dog so much, he truly means the world to me. Also my lack of imagination makes it tough to be creative.

Does anyone have a better idea for something to represent Chicago as my hometown.?

Great idea. This is exactly why I wanted to brainstorm with you guys. A portrait isn't really what I wanted but I love my dog so much' date=' he truly means the world to me. Also my lack of imagination makes it tough to be creative.

Does anyone have a better idea for something to represent Chicago as my hometown.?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

Never been to Chicago personally but the 1st thing that comes to mind for me there is sports.. Wrigley field, MJ's bulls, DA Bears.. But that's off topic/base I guess.. Lol

Don't think so literally about representation. You can put pretty much whatever meaning you want on pretty much anything so go for a strong image.

Also, wait lists don't necessarily mean much. Mario Desa, who was mentioned in this thread, is a great tattooer and he talks walk-ins. It depends on how people want to set their schedules.

Don't think so literally about representation. You can put pretty much whatever meaning you want on pretty much anything so go for a strong image.

Also, wait lists don't necessarily mean much. Mario Desa, who was mentioned in this thread, is a great tattooer and he talks walk-ins. It depends on how people want to set their schedules.

Thanks graeme, it's just hard for my bran to work that way. If this makes sense here I go, I know what I want the meaning to be, it's hard for me to come up with the actual image to represent that meaning.

That's why I said USUALLY!!

Thanks graeme, it's just hard for my bran to work that way. If this makes sense here I go, I know what I want the meaning to be, it's hard for me to come up with the actual image to represent that meaning.

I just mean that you could get an eagle or a dragon or a dagger or whatever and have those "mean" or "represent" whatever you want. Me and my wife moved a couple of months ago from an apartment we'd lived in for six years. It was the first apartment we had together, we got married in the neighborhood and walked back to the apartment the night of our wedding, we had two cats and a dog there, my wife finished her PhD there...there were a lot of significant life things that happened in that place, and there was a tattoo shop around the corner from it, so we wanted something to mark that time and that part of our lives. My wife got a Sailor Jerry anchor, I got a tiger-faced hannya. Those tattoos are very meaningful ones to us, but the meaning isn't obvious and out there. That's what I mean about not having to literally represent what you want the tattoo to "mean".

- - - Updated - - -

I've never been to Chicago but I think if I wanted a tattoo to represent Chicago I would absolutely go to Nick Colella at Great Lakes Tattoo and get a Phil Sparrow or Cliff Raven design.

I just mean that you could get an eagle or a dragon or a dagger or whatever and have those "mean" or "represent" whatever you want. Me and my wife moved a couple of months ago from an apartment we'd lived in for six years. It was the first apartment we had together' date=' we got married in the neighborhood and walked back to the apartment the night of our wedding, we had two cats and a dog there, my wife finished her PhD there...there were a lot of significant life things that happened in that place, and there was a tattoo shop around the corner from it, so we wanted something to mark that time and that part of our lives. My wife got a Sailor Jerry anchor, I got a tiger-faced hannya. Those tattoos are very meaningful ones to us, but the meaning isn't obvious and out there. That's what I mean about not having to literally represent what you want the tattoo to "mean".

- - - Updated - - -

I've never been to Chicago but I think if I wanted a tattoo to represent Chicago I would absolutely go to Nick Colella at Great Lakes Tattoo and get a Phil Sparrow or Cliff Raven design.[/quote']

I like the non-literal route :cool:

I follow GL on IG, they produce some EXCELLENT tattoos!

Here are some ideas:

Instagram-when you start following one or two artists you like, a world opens up and you start discovering more and more artists to follow and you start to see so many good tattoos every day you have to realize you can't get tattooed by them all but you have so many choices.

Listen to her. If you start following a bunch of good artists you'll start noticing the difference between the good and the bad and you'll have a better eye for reviewing portfolios in the future. Plus lots of cool pictures of tattoos to look at.

• 1 month later...

Well thankfully I went with the advice from all the veterans here. I chose to use Nick Colella. I posted this elsewhere but wanted to keep my progress all in one thread. The pictures below are where I am at and go for color on October 25th. I am so excited I can't wait. I do have one dilemma, I am not sure if I should try to get one more image in the spot between the racing flag and dogs ear in the last picture. I don't really have anything else in mind for this arm and looked at daggers, roses etc and don't think they will mesh will the other tattoos on my arm. I plan n asking Nick his opinion too. When I left, we planned on 2 more sessions. One for color the other for filler. So I have to decide fairly quickly what to do. Picture before last is the filler I planned on asking for. Thanks again guys, great advice!

Well thankfully I went with the advice from all the veterans here. I chose to use Nick Colella. I posted this elsewhere but wanted to keep my progress all in one thread. The pictures below are where I am at and go for color on October 25th. I am so excited I can't wait. I do have one dilemma, I am not sure if I should try to get one more image in the spot between the racing flag and dogs ear in the last picture. I don't really have anything else in mind for this arm and looked at daggers, roses etc and don't think they will mesh will the other tattoos on my arm. I plan n asking Nick his opinion too. When I left, we planned on 2 more sessions. One for color the other for filler. So I have to decide fairly quickly what to do. Picture before last is the filler I planned on asking for. Thanks again guys, great advice!

I just re-read this entire thread. I'm very pleased for you! Nick is a great guy and a brilliant tattooer. You couldn't be in better hands. I first met Nick when he visited Toronto. In turn I went to Chicago for my honeymoon this summer and managed to sneak in to see the new shop and get a couple of tattoos at Great Lakes. Chicago is an amazing city. I can't wait to visit again. (and get more tattoos from the folks at Great Lakes). This thread has so much win in it. Lots of great advice and helpful comments. Looking forward to seeing the finished work!

That is why I wanted to continue in this thread for any other new onlookers to see the entire progression. I am still wet behind the ears, but every day I come on this forum and just read. I see incredible pieces and learn so much. From when i first started this thread, i am amazed at how much I have learned and still how much I don't know if that makes sense. Anyways let me know how you would feel about just using the blue negative star filler in that area. I have some more pieces I like bit I am saving it for when I possibly go full or 3/4 sleeve as I have my locations picked out and they wouldn't fit in that narrow spot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Half sleeve now finished. Thanks to everyone here for advice and thanks to Nick Colella for the awesome art.

Congratulations on a great collection of tattoos! Please post healed pictures in a few weeks/months.

Also I nominate you for new LST member of year because you listened to the collective "wisdom" of LST even though some of the initial responses to your first posts were a little blunt/mean.

Congratulations on a great collection of tattoos! Please post healed pictures in a few weeks/months.

Also I nominate you for new LST member of year because you listened to the collective "wisdom" of LST even though some of the initial responses to your first posts were a little blunt/mean.

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the kind words. I was put off quite a bit on my first thread, i almost deleted my account. But I stepped back and tried to learn why everyone had such a strong response. I started reading old threads and really informed myself. I really was "ignorant" to the entire tattoo world before coming here. I am so glad I didn't leave and that so many people took the time to answer my questions via Pm as well. People looked at potential artists and taught me why some were better than others. I am completely grateful for this. Not only did I get great advice that helped me, my wife benefitted as well cause she used Great Lakes Tattoo as well. Once again, thanks to everyone and Merry Christmas!