How will these hold up?

petes67bird

Hi, I am looking to get a half sleeve done this November. I am not really creating a theme, but including smaller pieces that have specific meaning to me. My concern is the ability of a couple of.these pieces to withstand the test of time. I lotion my arms daily, and don't get much Sun as I have worked 2nd shift for 14 years.

So I am getting the Chicago theatre sign to represent where I was born, the route 66 sign to represent freedom on the road, a Mr. Horsepower/v8 tattoo to represent my love for 50's and 60's autos, a polish eagle to represent my heritage and last but not least a portrait of my Rottweiler who means the whole world to me. The filler will be blue with star voids and a pic is included at the bottom.

I am most concerned about the Chicago theatre sign with the top detail and the Rottweiler portrait. Any tips to ask the artist prior to getting work done. Should I ask for thick outlines etc? Here are examples of what I am asking for.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

Hi hog, thanks for the helpful post. Let me clarify, the tip would be for me. I am a novice and have been reading threads dating back to 2012 now. I am trying to learn as much as I can about this art. So the tips I was asking for would be along the lines of what to ask for.

I keep reading more black is better. Or the thicker and bolder the better the longevity. So I was asking you guys your opinions on my choices and what I can do to ensure that my artwork will look as sharp as possible since some pictures have a lot of color, maybe I should make it black/grey instead of red. The other fear was the realistic photo of my dog since I have read some negative posts on here. That is all, I am not gonna tell the artist what to do, but I also want to ensure the work I choose will last. Thanks again

I'M NO EXPERT!! In my opinion that may be a bit too much to put in a half sleeve?? You have a lot of different styles of tattoos everything from a portrait to traditional etc. There a very few artist that I know of that can pull off all those styles very well.. I would definitely go to the shop and talk it over with the artist. Sometimes I feel emails aren't good enough to explain everything. Just be open to what he/she says usually makes for a better tattoo!!!

Any respectable artist will give you a solid tattoo regardless of the subject matter. The application of the tattoos is wjat determines longevity and they should be things your artist knows how to do; not because you ask for it but because thats what makes a good tattoo. I think the only things you need to worry about is picking an artist and telling him/her your ideas. Leave the artistic and technical sides to them cause that's their job. No decent artist would give you a tattoo that didnt last on purpose, unless they didn't know what they were doing.

As far as portrait tattoos, i think they can last well enough just keep it out of the sun.

If you do your research and pick an excellent artist, the artist will know how to incorporate what you want and will be able to make the whole thing better than you could have imagined. If you pick an artist based on their hourly fee, they may not be able to do that and you might be disappointed.

Luckily no mention of price was made. Thanks for your help!

I'M NO EXPERT!! In my opinion that may be a bit too much to put in a half sleeve?? You have a lot of different styles of tattoos everything from a portrait to traditional etc. There a very few artist that I know of that can pull off all those styles very well.. I would definitely go to the shop and talk it over with the artist. Sometimes I feel emails aren't good enough to explain everything. Just be open to what he/she says usually makes for a better tattoo!!!

Thanks killer. I can always cutout the Mr horsepower etc. Save those for a possible full sleeve down the road. I want to start with a half and see how if it is difficult doing my line of work. Right now I plan on wearing 3/4 inch sleeves to work under my scrubs. I also had a concern about the rottweiler head and the flow of the sleeve. Only problem is that has the most meaning to me, he is like my first born. Thanks

Thanks killer. I can always cutout the Mr horsepower etc. Save those for a possible full sleeve down the road. I want to start with a half and see how if it is difficult doing my line of work. Right now I plan on wearing 3/4 inch sleeves to work under my scrubs. I also had a concern about the rottweiler head and the flow of the sleeve. Only problem is that has the most meaning to me, he is like my first born. Thanks

I would definitely talk with a couple of artist and see what they think... If you are ever in NYC check out Matt Bagwell of Kingsave. He does the best portraits in my opinion on the east coast! Google him!

Any respectable artist will give you a solid tattoo regardless of the subject matter. The application of the tattoos is wjat determines longevity and they should be things your artist knows how to do; not because you ask for it but because thats what makes a good tattoo. I think the only things you need to worry about is picking an artist and telling him/her your ideas. Leave the artistic and technical sides to them cause that's their job. No decent artist would give you a tattoo that didnt last on purpose, unless they didn't know what they were doing.

As far as portrait tattoos, i think they can last well enough just keep it out of the sun.

OK thanks for the help. I think I found a quality local shop to perform my work. I came into it wrong and instead of looking at price, I went around and just talked to the artists to see who I meshed with best. I found what I think is a good artist, and I was just wanting to know as much as possible before starting. I figured the more educated I become the less stupid I will feel. If that makes sense. Also most portfolios I see are fresh work, so I don't know how well that particular artists work ages. Thanks

If you do your research and pick an excellent artist, the artist will know how to incorporate what you want and will be able to make the whole thing better than you could have imagined. If you pick an artist based on their hourly fee, they may not be able to do that and you might be disappointed.

One more question TrixieFaux, how do you research artists. I checked Google reviews, yelp etc. This guy was all positive. Not sure how else to go about it. Thanks for your help

Here are some ideas:

There is a "tattoo shops" link above. Click on it and see if any shops near you are reviewed.

Instagram-when you start following one or two artists you like, a world opens up and you start discovering more and more artists to follow and you start to see so many good tattoos every day you have to realize you can't get tattooed by them all but you have so many choices.

Watch the video interviews on here plus Gypsy Gentleman and Vice's Tattoo Age... Some of the artists you see in these places might not be in your area but many of them travel and do guest spots. You'd be surprised who you could end up getting tattooed by if you look around more.

The TAM blog has a directory and monthly (or maybe weekly?) featured artist with pictures.

Do you live in Chicago? Chicago has a ton of good shops/artists... What comes to mind is CTC and Great Lakes Tattoo...don't think you could go wrong there... Great Lakes Tattoo

I would not rely on google searches or yelp reviews. But that's just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Here are some ideas:

There is a "tattoo shops" link above. Click on it and see if any shops near you are reviewed.

Instagram-when you start following one or two artists you like, a world opens up and you start discovering more and more artists to follow and you start to see so many good tattoos every day you have to realize you can't get tattooed by them all but you have so many choices.

Watch the video interviews on here plus Gypsy Gentleman and Vice's Tattoo Age... Some of the artists you see in these places might not be in your area but many of them travel and do guest spots. You'd be surprised who you could end up getting tattooed by if you look around more.

The TAM blog has a directory and monthly (or maybe weekly?) featured artist with pictures.

Do you live in Chicago? Chicago has a ton of good shops/artists... What comes to mind is CTC and Great Lakes Tattoo...don't think you could go wrong there... Great Lakes Tattoo

I would not rely on google searches or yelp reviews. But that's just my 2 cents. Good luck!

I greatly appreciate your help! Like I said I am a novice so any advice is great. I started my first thread and it went bad fast, you know why. So I learned and have been looking at some places and their portfolios. Thanks again and I will check out great Lakes. Anyone in particular?

I greatly appreciate your help! Like I said I am a novice so any advice is great. I started my first thread and it went bad fast, you know why. So I learned and have been looking at some places and their portfolios. Thanks again and I will check out great Lakes. Anyone in particular?

Nick Colella and Mario Desa get a lot of love around here. But check out the portfolios of all of them and see if any of them stand out to you!

usually if the artist has some sort of waiting list like a year or so then you hit the jackpot. Sometimes you can even get an earlier appointment if they really like the tattoo. I agree go on instragram! In chicago there is Hanna Aitchison? Not too familiar with anyone else in that area. In NYC there are tons !!

I would not be set on November if it take longer even a year longer it's totally worth waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to get a hold with her then if she can't then maybe she could recommend an artist?

usually if the artist has some sort of waiting list like a year or so then you hit the jackpot. Sometimes you can even get an earlier appointment if they really like the tattoo. I agree go on instragram! In chicago there is Hanna Aitchison? Not too familiar with anyone else in that area. In NYC there are tons !!

I would not be set on November if it take longer even a year longer it's totally worth waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to get a hold with her then if she can't then maybe she could recommend an artist?

Thanks I wrote her down.

I would get the dog portrait by itself,and save the half sleeve for the other stuff.Or get your dog on the inside of your arm,and the Chicago stuff on the outside.Some shops I recommended.

Samuel@ RockStar Tattoo & Co - Milwaukee, WI - Ink, Tattoo Galleries

Ben,& Jaime@ Code Of Conduct | Chicago Tattoo – South Loop

Insight Studios Online - Brian Buchak

Jeremy@ Solid State Tattoo

Ace of Four Hearts - Joliet

Instagram

Instagram

Heath,&Josh@ Chicago Tattoos - Speakseay Custom Tattoo Chicago - Wicker Park Tattoos

I would get the dog portrait by itself,and save the half sleeve for the other stuff.Or get your dog on the inside of your arm,and the Chicago stuff on the outside.Some shops I recommended.

Instagram

Instagram

Heath,&Josh@ Chicago Tattoos - Speakseay Custom Tattoo Chicago - Wicker Park Tattoos

Thanks Joe. The artist I spoke with at length wanted to do the dog portrait on the inside of my arm closest to me heart. Car stuff and eagle on the outside and Chicago sign down the back of my arm.

Instagram

Instagram

What about Scott at speakeasy?