"Worst Tattoo Customer Ever"

Throwing in the towel at the end of a long session on an area like the back, ribs, front is one thing... 'Backing out' while you're early into a piece is another proposition.

'Backing out' is marginally better than not showing up at all, but only in the sense that at least the tattooist has a chance of being partially paid for the wasted time and effort.

Let's not normalise or excuse behaviour which leaves people with half finished work and screws up bookings and a studio's working day.

If you aren't sure you can finish what you start, then holy Christ... don't get in the chair....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This guy didn't know what to expect and it was a large piece on the inside of his forearm. I'd say it was maybe a 4-hour job total. It was going to be split up into 2 sessions anyway.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work as a shop manager, and quite a lot of people overestimate their pain tolerance... Like a guy who wanted a full-day session for a full sleeve, but passed out and threw up after 10mins. They managed to get linework on his(skinny) upper arm done.. Or a girl who cried the entire time, needed breaks every 5-10 mins (as long breaks!), and some who are completely unable to sit still and just scream. Tough guys almost always pass out.

It happens. Especially with first tattoos, I never set up long sessions(more than 3hrs), because we never knew what to expect!

I've gotten to the point where I don't bother acting tough anymore. I'll sit through 8hrs and sit still, but I will bitch and call him an ass when it hurts bad the entire time :P To be noted; I mainly get tattooed by artists I know well, so they know it's coming and have fun with it. One of 'em calls it flirting. When I get inked by people I don't know, I try to be more pleasant. Try. I told off Ryan Eternal too after 5hours. Pretty sure I said I hated him and hoped he stepped on a lego by then... Luckily he just laughed! :P

But I have never seen anything quite as bad as that video... But I believe it could be true!! The right kind of person... That could probably happen!!

• 3 weeks later...
this is amazing hahaha makes me never want to become an artist to have to deal with people like this

From the stories I've heard while in the chair, hell to the customer's I've witnessed, I can say yea, tattooing doesn't look like a cakewalk at all. Hell the one guy I watched get tattooed looked like a junkie, and was covered in weird burns. He wanted a small few words on his ribs, but kept moving around trying to take pictures of it, etc,etc. At one point the tattooer just puts down the machine and says "Do you want the fucking tattoo or not. Stop moving, or its gunna turn out like shit". After it was done the kid said well," I got $40 bucks", to which the tattooer said "I told you shop minimum was $100"...

From the stories I've heard while in the chair, hell to the customer's I've witnessed, I can say yea, tattooing doesn't look like a cakewalk at all. Hell the one guy I watched get tattooed looked like a junkie, and was covered in weird burns. He wanted a small few words on his ribs, but kept moving around trying to take pictures of it, etc,etc. At one point the tattooer just puts down the machine and says "Do you want the fucking tattoo or not. Stop moving, or its gunna turn out like shit". After it was done the kid said well," I got $40 bucks", to which the tattooer said "I told you shop minimum was $100"...

I tout up the shop I use to almost anyone who is interested. But there have been people I have met, NO WAY am I going to send those freaks over to them.

Rob

• 1 month later...
I tout up the shop I use to almost anyone who is interested. But there have been people I have met, NO WAY am I going to send those freaks over to them.

Rob

I feel like I just tend to give recommendations to reputable shops that I've been, but nothing overly specific. Especially when the people I'm talking to have the WORST idea.

I've ne'er seen this video, she does in fact appear to be drunk or under the influence of something. She was just very belligerent. Is this real? Someone said something about believing it to be staged. Are there pictures? Did she try to sue him? If she did, she wouldn't win. He was pretty professional in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel like I just tend to give recommendations to reputable shops that I've been, but nothing overly specific. Especially when the people I'm talking to have the WORST idea.

Yeah I recommended the girl that did my ribs to some people I work with. I immediately regret that decision after reading this. Luckily she's so nice, she'll probably just politely listen, but damn I feel bad now. From now on, only shops, no names unless they want something good.

I had a friend who was visiting in Milwaukee from Albany, NY and he asked me a good artist to start a navy sleeve. He had been getting his tattoos done by some guy who discounts sailors, all Super Mario characters which look terrible by the way. I pointed him towards a couple artists I was familiar with around town who do some great tattoos. I asked him a couple days later if he booked an appointment yet, he said he would just go to his guy back in Albany because the guy gives a discount to Navy guys. I just left it at that. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I freely show people the work I have done on me and let them decide if they want to check out a certain artist. A lot of time I tell them to just visit various reputable shops and talk to the people and see if they are dinks, look at their portfolios and make an educated decision themselves.

• 2 months later...
I have never had someone listen to my advice on tattoos, at least apart from LST. It's frustrating, especially when my little sister gets a giant shitty tattoo on her forearm then tells me that I have ulterior motives when giving her advice.

I would like to quote this post I made, and say that my little sister finally seems to be coming around to good tattoos. So stoked to see her get some work.