Being done vs Waiting, and collecting

joakim urma

Honestly, I'm starting to feel the same.. After having trouble finding a spot for a palm sized tattoo when I was in SF it really hit me. Since January 1st I have been tattooed 10 times (and got tattooed 2 days before new years this year). I also am getting tattooed on Friday and then again on December 4th. So that will make it 13 before New Years again. Last year I got tattooed around 15 times. As much as I say I want to slow down a bit, I love traveling and I love tattoos and getting them. I'm already planning to go to the Philly convention in February and then getting tattooed by Rob Ryan the day before the convention.. Also planning a trip to Ann Arbor in April to get tattooed by Jeff Zuck & Cole Dunn.. maybe after then I will take a little break :rolleyes:

Riiiiiiiiggghhhtt...

• 2 years later...

cool thread no? deserves some life support imo

gonna answer these OP questions right hur...

- Would you rather get the tattoos you want as quickly as possible, or wait and spread it out over a longer period of time?

i'm in high gear - i started late (my late 30s) imo and i know i want alot of coverage right now (45 soon) i'm getting there - approaching 30 decent size pieces and i estimate i should be getting close to 100 hours of tattooing time after i get these next two pieces

- Do you have a plan as to which areas you cover in which order? Saving the hands for last or getting the worst spots first, maybe getting the visible spots first and save back of the thighs for example?

sort of - i have several types of tattoo 'lists' - one focuses of locations of future tattoos - i like to go for tough spots - i think the more painful the spot is almost adds something to the tattoo for me - i have very vivid recollections of my ribs being done - my six hour session on the ribs i think was more challenging than any marathon i have done yet just as rewarding

- If you consider yourself a collector, do you keep areas of your body untouched for fantastic tattooers to appear say 20 years from now?

well i don't think so

I actually was diagnosed last year with a degenerative eye disease that may or may not blind me as i advance to the 'golden years'

this actually reinforced my attitude of live for today baby - not in a let's not be responsible type of way - more of a go for those things you really want type of way

- Anything else you would like to add or discuss

its the most ridiculous and awesome hobby I ever thought I'd get hooked on but here i am trying to get lots of tatts and enjoying every minute of it

OK, I'll play...

- Would you rather get the tattoos you want as quickly as possible, or wait and spread it out over a longer period of time?

Some of each actually. I don't want to go too fast- partially because I can't really afford it and partially because I don't want it to seem like I'm flaunting the extent to which I can afford it. I also don't want to be fill up the space I want to fill and then be done. Currently I am 43 and have nothing on my left arm. I'm thinking a 50th birthday tattoo could be fun.

- Do you have a plan as to which areas you cover in which order? Saving the hands for last or getting the worst spots first, maybe getting the visible spots first and save back of the thighs for example?

Working on a comprehensive left leg right now. Negative space, trad american style with full coverage from hip to ankle. It's getting there but will still take a while which is fine. I have some other thoughts for putting more on my right shoulder and everything will change if/when I ever decide to go below the elbow. I doubt I will ever do neck or hands or even back. I have one on my upper back and I forget it's there because I can't see it. I only have one tattoo on my right leg so maybe I will fill that up once the left one is done. Who knows. No plan really.

- If you consider yourself a collector, do you keep areas of your body untouched for fantastic tattooers to appear say 20 years from now?

Nah, not really. I've gotten some fun tattoos from cool artists and there are others I'm aware of that I admire so I suppose it could go that direction but serious collecting isn't really what I'm doing now. I'd probably be more likely to get a tattoo in a specific place on a vacation than to seek out a specific artist. That's how we found Great Lakes Tattoo. Had a trip to Chicago planned a few years ago and, after some research, made appointments there. This past week my wife and I went back and reversed artists because we had such a great time before. Obviously I'll research who and where to go if I am traveling and I suppose I could decide to get tattoos from people guesting in Minneapolis.

I too am surprised at how much I have gotten into tattoos. One thing I have learned is that nobody gives a fucj about my tattoos. Maybe that's because I live in a city but no one outside of immediate family ever comments on them- positively or negatively. No one cares. Well, mostly no one comments. I did have an old woman at the state fair tell me I had the best tattoos she has seen all day. Also my wife likes them and my dad doesn't. But otherwise, nobody gives a fuck.

I definitely get questionable looks from friends/coworkers each time I'm wrapped and healing, and it's admittedly difficult to not to feel shy about it. That's not to imply that it stops me from doing what I want though. I've covered my front, left arm and right leg in three plus years. I've also just started my back with Tomo. I'm moving a quick but I'm unsure how long I'll be in a place like the bay, with such phenomenal shops, artists, and tattoo history. It feels like my favorite artists are guesting constantly, and I suppose that they are. I'm not into material things, and I save well so it doesn't seem to be a problem. Also, I OCD on the empty space.

A part of me wishes that I slowed down because my taste has matured significantly in just three years, but I don't regret anything that I have. Hoping to prioritize tattoo's from some older legends now like Eddy D, Bob Roberts and Henning. I know I'll be the guy tattooing the armpits and tender groin space when all else has been covered, like a crackhead of sorts. Better now while I don't have to care for others.

I'm glad I had a 6-month break last year, after joining this forum, buying books, getting super excited and getting 6 tattoos (from zero) in somewhat different styles over a year and a half (though not wildly different, mostly variations on traditional). I think I feel a little more unhurried and at ease now, like this interest hasn't turned into a passing one. I really need to get my shit together and plan a larger tattoo that isn't a one-shot, though. And to leave some room in more visible spots for people who might feel inaccessible to me right now, but won't always be that way.

@marley mission you have been on such a great tear recently, it's fantastic to see. I also really love what @taaarro said earlier in this thread. Lots of respect for people with large, beautiful and tasteful tattoos that are thoughtfully planned out, but I am so not like that. I already spend way too much time in my head; impulsive-ish tattoos let me tell my brain to fuck off.

OK, I'll play too...

For me, I am kind of just going for it. I’m in my 40’s though and waited long enough. I feel that I’m off ot a great start with some great artists…..so just gonna run with it for now.

Started with my calf, a nice out of the way spot and then did the right side of my chest. The front of my calf will be next and then gonna go for it with a ¾ to full sleeve on my left arm. I am more trying to keep general styles on certain areas for now. No real order though.

Just kind of staying away from my back in case I decide to go for the epic backpiece someday!

Not really, just so glad that I finally went ahead and got my first tattoo……will have 5 in the first 6 months and really enjoying it. Been lucky to have this site and other great resources for starting off strong.

It's been almost three years since I started this thread so I think I'm allowed to post an update :) Thank you @marley mission for breathing new life into it

When I wrote the OP I was really happy to finally be able to get tattooed a lot. Money was not an obstacle for the first time since ever. I think I probably got 10+ palm sized tattoos in 2013. Since then I slowed down significantly. Except for two tattooers that I'm interested in I'm done "collecting" from artists in Sweden. Now I'm waiting for guests artists to come by, for the yearly London Convention or I plan trips abroad to get tattooed.

Having to plan a trip and spend more in order to get work from the tattooers that I love is the best way to slow down. I still keep a list with 10+ ideas with placement and artists names of the tattoos I plan to get but since time passes, my taste slightly shifts and new names pop up. I keep revising the list every now and then. Right now I'm contemplating who I want to get a japanese dragon from and also planning a US trip for the fall when I hope to squeeze in maybe five tattoos that I've been waiting for a long time. Really happy with the slowed down pace as I can see how my taste in tattoos continue to change and mature, even looking back 12 months I can see a huge difference.

I'm focusing on getting the worst spots done. Not that it really matters or make me any better of a human being but for my own sense of pride I'd like to get as far into full body coverage as possible before resorting to using numbing creams. Right now I try to make plans to finish the ribs, stomach, second armpit and feet. After that I should have no problem even after the pain tolerance drops. I wrote in my OP that I wanted to save my back until I turned thirty. People who follow my posts here and on instagram all ready know it turned out differently. I finished my back last year at 28 years of age, in five sessions spaced out over 9 months.

I'm trying not to rush my ideas, instead I save some skin for future tattooers. Having a growing list of 10-15 ideas of things I know I want to get makes it easy to focus on making those ideas reality. The areas who are still unplanned can remain blank for many years ahead before I catch up with the list. I've got the inside of my underarms empty still and also some sizeable areas here and there on the legs and torso. I only recently started to appriciate bigger coherent pieces with background and large readable motifs. But since I started getting palm sized tattoos spaced out all over my body I don't have any larger areas left to cover. A bit of a bummer but nothing I lose sleep over.

Neat thread to revisit. I haven't really changed my attitude since I first posted on here, though I have a lot more coverage than when I first posted. I'm about 45% covered now so I still have plenty of space, but it's enough that running out of space seems like a distinct possibility especially because I've only been getting tattooed for about five years. I have a young child now so that has forced me to slow down and it may somewhat limit the possibility for traveling for tattoos. I'm also much pickier than I was: when I was first getting tattooed I was overwhelmed by how many people there are making great tattoos and I wanted to get something from all of them. I'm looking for something else now, and the experience of getting the tattoo, of getting tattooed by the right people is almost more important than the tattoo itself. Consequently, my list of "musts" is much shorter than it was.

A couple of years of experience has also made getting tattooed into almost a duty. I'm committed to heavy coverage which is going to mean that the spots that are going to totally suck need to be tattooed so I kind of just want to get them over with so I don't have to dread them as much as I do.

"running out of space but mi ave plenty more to go"

i think at this point my love for tattoo gives me so much joy and excitement that i can't ever see myself being done. There will always be a crack in the body canvas to fill! I can see myself getting tattoos piled on tattoos piled on tattoos until I die !

Re changes in attitude. I'm way more inclined now to want to stick with a tattooer who I have a good rapport with than to worry about who I won't get to see.

interesting point i have felt conflicted at times about this type of thing too

i feel luckyin that i have really enjoyed the people i get tattooed by

everyone of them

and so sometimes its the battle of wanting to collect from from new people at new shops

versus wanting to go back to get tattooed again from a previous tattooer

the problem is further compounded as you continue to collect from more tattooers

anyway its not a problem in any real sense. of the word

just something i think about

This is an interesting question. I first got tattooed at 18,and got 3 between 18-21.all various degrees of awful, one is covered already, one being lasered, the other very weak and will be covered eventually. I then actually waited 7 years before being tattooed again, during which time my mind was was opened to the more artistic side of tattooing - I got really put off by nearly getting another bad tattoo and wanted to wait until I find the right artist. I found it in WT Norbert who did my feet and ankles, and who absolutely nailed the brief. Even though the Australian sun punished them they're still some of my favourites. Once I came back I got tattooed my Nicole Lowe, but to be honest I'd say since instagram (and entering the tattoo industry myself) my collection has grown rapidly. In the last 2 years it's picked up massively. One arm completely done but with some filler gaps (including my hand), other almost done, most of right leg done. I love collecting from different artists, but recently seem to be averaging about 2 from each artist. I tell myself I'll slow down but honestly, I'm not particularly young (33 this year), soon we'll start a family and then I won't be able to afford it! I could be tattooed a hundred times over by different tattooists and still love every single one, so I don't really see the point in waiting for 20 years just to see what's up. I've only got one tattoo I've gotten since collecting seriously that I don't like and it's not even bad, it's just black and grey, and it was my first free tattoo when I started tattooing. I just got giddy! I've got a few big spaces left, but I think I'm going to give over most of my legs to one hit smaller stuff. I'm so happy with the artists I have collected already, it's such a buzz! Sure I'll be sad even I run out of space but it has to happen eventually.