Being done vs Waiting, and collecting

joakim urma

So for those of us that aspire to cover most if not all of the body in tattoos from different people I am interested in how you and I think about

how fast to get covered. It also deals with the concept of why we get tattoos and from whom.

Starting points:

- Would you rather get the tattoos you want as quickly as possible, or wait and spread it out over a longer period of time?

- Do you have a plan as to which areas you cover in which order? Saving the hands for last or getting the worst spots first, maybe getting the visible spots first and save back of the thighs for example?

- If you consider yourself a collector, do you keep areas of your body untouched for fantastic tattooers to appear say 20 years from now?

- Anything else you would like to add or discuss

I am really interested in hearing your perspective on this!

-----

As for me, right now, I am spending a lot of money, time and pain on getting tattoos. I know what I want and I know from who, so when the opportunity comes I have nothing stoping me. I live very cheaply (my rent is about 1/3 of what I spend on grocerys a month, and I am vegan and eat pretty economically) I just think that tattoos, for me, is one of the best values to have spent my money on, instead of partying or buying expensive material objects.

So the problem for me is I need to get more picky, or else I'd be covered in 4 years from now going at this rate. (I'm 26 by the way)

Some tattooers that I really like I get prints from instead of tattoos. Also I think I am constantly refining my taste because of being exposed to so much great work through the internet everyday and talking to people.

I am beginning to think that I do away with the worst spots before I turn 30, as I've heard your tolerance to pain drops quite a bit after that. But I am also saving my back until I turn 30. Other than that I am saving my shins and inside of the calfs for later because I get so many injuries there from skateboarding. Hands, neck and face is out of the question and perhaps I'll get the top of my head tattooed.

For me getting a tattoo because of pivotal events in my life or because of personal sentiments are less important, I do photography for my memories. I'm not the kind of person who save a spot for my children's name or for a memorial tattoo of my parents or stuff like that.

The thing that hit me some time ago is that for the short peroid of time that I've been interested in tattoos (5 years perhaps) I've discovered a lot of great tattooers, some that I later ended up not liking as much. But in the coming years, like the rest of my life, new amazing tattooers and new "styles" in tattooing will develop and I will want to have some room for that.

----

I'm starting to get pickier. I have room for about 10 or so more one shot tattoos on my legs. No more room on my upper body unless I go onto my hands or neck, which I won't.

My rough plan is to finish my front piece with Tomo with a visit a year (prob another 2-3 visits), and maybe do 1-2 one shots a year. I'll be done in 10 years, but so be it.

Maybe when I'm 60 I'll start with blast overs...

- Would you rather get the tattoos you want as quickly as possible, or wait and spread it out over a longer period of time?

I like to be adequately healed before starting the next one. In order for the tissue to get back to where it was the moment before the needle hit your six, it's six weeks. Really, going before then won't kill you, but it's a good practice, although one I'll be breaking soon.

- Do you have a plan as to which areas you cover in which order? Saving the hands for last or getting the worst spots first, maybe getting the visible spots first and save back of the thighs for example?

I tend to go to for the less visible spots first. My first tattoo was my upper thigh, and it's smaller. Then I got Tengwar on my ribcage. (Nerd!) Beneath that I got a pink rose as a tribute to "A Rose in Misery." Then I got my scar covered where my ten lb. abdominal tumor was removed. That was a big, two session job. Then I got a tiger on my left hip. It all covers up in normal clothes. I've focused on my torso, and since it's a big bundle of nerves protecting the important organs.

My future plans include some inner thigh tattoos. After that, a wolf on the tip opposite of the tiger. Beyond that I have so many ideas, but they're less planned out and in order. I want to save my back, arms, legs, and the most visible areas for some really god tattooing, though my current guy is an outstanding artist. :)

- If you consider yourself a collector, do you keep areas of your body untouched for fantastic tattooers to appear say 20 years from now?

As the art develops and I get more settled in my career, heck yeah. I'd love to keep some blank spots, but I don't even have the next ten tattoos planned out. ;)

I am a relative newcomer to the game, I had my first tattoo two years ago, and am only on my sixth now, the speed at which I am getting them done seems to have ramped upwards though. I think, for me the fact that I can't afford to go out and get every single tattoo I want now (and I have a physical list of all artists and designs I want :cool:) is a good thing, my tastes and awareness of the art form have changed over the past two years, let alone the (hopefully) many more I have yet to live. I'll continue to go as quickly as my wallet allows me!

It seems that a grass is greener attitude seems to prevail, I am lightly tattooed and am looking forward to being heavily tattooed and I know many others share that with me, however I have spoken to and read posts from people who are heavily tattooed and commiserating that they can't fit any more work in! So I am just trying to relax, and enjoy the ride, even though the next appointment cannot come soon enough ;)

The time line for me and collecting tattoos have been a mixture of:

1. I have a solid idea/placement for a tattoo.

2. The artist I want to do said tattoo is guesting or has time available.

3. I have enough money on hand.

I've been struggling with my next tattoo because I know a tattooer that I REALLY want a tattoo from is going to be guesting next spring, but I have no idea what I want from them. Also, I've been trying to slow down getting tattoos so I don't finish too quickly--especially since I like getting larger work done. I'd like to continue getting tattoos through my 40s (I'm 23 right now). So this all means that I'm getting one decent sized tattoo every six months/1 year. So even though this guest spot is months and months away, I need to decide if I should forego it this time around and wait or travel when I have a good idea. Anyway, right now I'm pretty dead set on getting a snake/peony calf sleeve from Chris O'Donnell. He's in my area, I have a strong concept of what I want. In a few months I could start planning it and saving up, etc. So part of me is thinking I should go for what I know I want and just follow my above strategy to make sure I don't get a tattoo from an artists I wish I had waited for a better tattoo idea.

I've also decided to focus more on my legs for the next few years, so that I really am solid on what I want on my arms. Although I may finish out my outer upper arm before that because I have a few ideas and artists I've been thinking about. I was also thinking about having Rose Hardy do my other thigh next year, but I'm so worried I want to reserve that thigh for a "sleeve" like thing. Ahhh it's so hard to plan. I don't want to be crazy OCD and plan all of my tattoos but some times I feel like I need to...

I just love collecting tattoos and never want it to end! :)

I don't see myself as a collector, I come up with ideas and live with the idea until im obsessed by it, save some money, then decide who I want to zap me, then decide on placement. I dont want to fill up every space of skin because I like my tattoos to be readable individually.

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I just started getting tattoos a few years ago and have about 10. I do not really plan on getting any that are not easily covered for work and I'm not sure about back tattoos (I have one and seldom remember to enjoy it). This means I do have some space limitations. I also am hoping to save some space for something really great someday. I guess I will see what happens. Being a member of this forum and following tattoo blogs on tumblr does not help me not get tattos. That's for damn sure.

I do know that once I decide on something for sure (I have one such plan) it is almost impossible to wait very long.

I think that you pose an interesting question. When I started getting tattooed about 6.5 years ago it was a one at a time, semi spontaneous thing. As I got more informed and interested I started collecting more quickly. I wanted to finish my sleeve, and when I traveled I would get multiple tattoos each trip.

After finishing my right arm and my chest, people around me (mostly plain skins) started to mention that I seemed to be rushing things. I decided to take a break for the year 2013. I was really doing well at resisting temptation until I found out the Chad the traveling tattooer Koeplinger would be in town. I couldn't pass that up. So now I'm booked for Feb as well.

I would like to get tattooed twice a year, one bigger or a couple of smaller pieces. As to placement, well that's my new obsession. Do I go for something big and cohesive, such as a squid pant leg, or keep with the small traditional style? It's fun to think about, and I can only say for sure how it will play out as I get more work done.

I was really doing well at resisting temptation until I found out the Chad the traveling tattooer Koeplinger would be in town. I couldn't pass that up. But then I got a giant 90 minute rib piece from Chad and now I curl up into the fetal position when I think about tattoos.

I think that is what you meant to say right? Or at least that is how I would feel if I were you.

I think the question of big pieces versus a lot of smaller pieces is an interesting one. The extreme of big pieces is a bodysuit from one artist... The extreme of small would be having all one-shots, I guess, or nothing bigger than sort of middling-sized.

Guess the grass is always greener to some extent... I really enjoy getting one shots these days, because they're easier to squeeze in more of, and require less planning, but at the same time they don't pack the visual wallop of a big piece. And some designs and styles only really work at a certain scale, IMO....

I am in the process of a half sleeve being done by Nick Colella. It's a bunch of smaller tattoos that are important to me, not really a themed sleeve. I got 6 tattoos outlined and going back end of October for color. I prefer to get it all done at once so it doesn't feel like I am always healing.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

I had a bunch of old work fixed up/covered up after I turned 50. So with my next 2 appointments, the oldest tattoo on my body will be from 2005 and its a small one. The next oldest tattoo goes back to 2008. So I'm fairly fresh. If I had all of my work done by age 30, it would have needed to be done over. I'm ahead of the curve.

I plan to have something done every year until I've had my fill. Some years I spend a little, some years a lot.

Rob

I had a very respected tattooer tell me that I may be getting tattooed a little too fast, and to slow it down. So I am.

But my thinking goes like this: get my limbs done first with all the big designs I want, then filler afterwards.

Once the limbs are done, I want one artist to do my front. But not one giant piece, I want patchwork. Something similar to what Stuart Cripwell and Matthew Houston are doing lately.

I've thought about saving the back piece for last, but there are some days I want to start my back piece right now, before I even finish any limbs. I go back and forth on this every day.

So for those of us that aspire to cover most if not all of the body in tattoos from different people I am interested in how you and I think about

how fast to get covered. It also deals with the concept of why we get tattoos and from whom.

Starting points:

- Anything else you would like to add or discuss

I am really interested in hearing your perspective on this!

No need to rush to cover yourself.....at least that is my way of thinking!

I never had a plan about which areas to cover in any order although for many years I covered areas first I could hide because I didn't really want a lot of visible tattoos at the time! (work, family, society, etc....all played into the decision)

When I started getting tattooed most tattoo artists would not tattoo someones hands or neck until you had "earned" the right to have such tattoos and they would also ask to make sure you were set in your career!

At least most of the tattoo artists I was around....I am sure there was someone who would have done it though!

Coincidentally my first tattoo (non-professional) was on my hand/index finger......lol

I never put off intentionally getting tattooed to wait for emerging artists 20 years later BUT I am glad it has all worked out this way! I have an eclectic mix of styles and of work from older and newer tattoo artists who do excellent work!

I mean why would you rush it???

Who knows what will be available to us 20 years from now....take your time and leave a little room for what's to come! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I had a very respected tattooer tell me that I may be getting tattooed a little too fast, and to slow it down. So I am.

If a respected artist tell you this.....then you are doing the right thing by listening!

This is a great question(s) and something I think fairly regularly about. In terms of my tattooing experience, I’m literally at zero as I’ve only just started this year (2013) and had 2 done. So my opinion probably doesn’t hold much weight! Though in saying that I’ve been heavily researching and reading about tattoo history for about 3 years prior, so I would like to think that I started out on the right path and didn’t have something done ‘for the sake of it’ before this year. My first tattoo is on my upper right arm and is a Doc King design, so I’d like to keep working on my right arm and getting more traditional work. I have an idea of what I’d like and I’ll probably get them done by the same artist (Richie Clarke, Forever True). I’m thinking of ‘saving’ my left arm and having a half Japanese sleeve/chest piece in the future (in may be 10+ years from now the rate my savings are going!) by someone like Stewart Robson. So I’d prefer not to touch it until I’ve made a decision on that.

It’s really interesting to read everyone’s comments and advice as a relative newbie, as I don’t want to rush the process but on the other hand I’d happily have something done every month if I could afford it!

Respectfully submitted…

Will

I'm not in a rush, and I'm more than willing to wait and save room for specific tattoos from specific tattooers that I want, but it is addicting, isn't it? I was ok with having just two tattoos for seven, eight years, but once I became rally interested in tattoos, I've gotten them much more frequently. As far as big vs small, I think for me back, ribs, and thighs will be my big pieces. I totally appreciate sleeves and body suits, but to me it takes away from the stupidity and vulgarity of tattooing, which is what I like about it.

I've been going pretty quickly and getting a lot of skin covered. I've loved the entire experience, even the healing. I've also been learning as I go. I found myself at the intersection of having enough time and money and so I rolled with it. As I reach the end of my current contracts, this situation will change, and my pace will have to slow. I'm ok with that too. But at the moment, I'm still thoroughly enjoying researching and finding designs, meeting awesome new tattoo-minded people. I have a couple of large areas left to fill, and I'm in no rush at all to get to them. I want something large on my back, but after 4 years of thinking about it, I'm no closer to deciding what I want. Given the pace of my other tattooing, this is perhaps a little odd. However, I don't want to settle.

Such a good question @mmikaoj.

The rate I get tattooed at is definitely controlled by money (and a teeny tiny bit by my husbands hate for tattoos but that's a whole other story) In an ideal world I'd cut every financial corner possible to give myself more money to get tattooed with but having to be cautious with money does have it's advantages. I haven't been getting tattooed for very long but I definitely feel my tastes are changing as my confidence grows and dare I say knowledge? I use the word knowledge in the loosest sense of the term but I have been lucky enough to get tattooed by some awesome people who have pointed me in the right direction and I am so thankful for that.

I've been working on getting my legs tattooed this year and I think I'll carry on down that path for a little longer although I'm starting to think I want to move on to a half sleeve at some point soon and as for the more painful spots, they can wait till last!

I'm currently saving a spot on my thigh but apart from that I have plenty of space and a few ideas to keep me going until I get that sorted. I think I lean more towards getting something as and when I decide I want and I don't think too much about what might be around in years to come - don't know whats round the corner so i might not be here to worry about it, although the speed I'm going at I don't think lack of space will ever be a problem!

I have two spots that I consider prime canvas: I would like sleeves of some length (I've flip flopped from half to 3/4 to full) and maybe a large piece on my back. Because I'm not sure exactly the size and style of tattoos I want in those areas and I want them to be cohesive, I've always known I would save those until I was 1000% sure I wanted to give up that valuable real estate. I went 4 years between my first and second tattoos for money/confidence/time reasons, and now that I seem to be getting in a better place overall, I might work at a faster pace. I'm fine with any of the other places I don't consider off limits (neck, hands, etc) in any order. I'd like to space them out a little at least for healing purposes, but they'll probably be unintentionally more spaced out than I would like based on money. I don't consider myself a collector and just don't really have any interest in traveling all over the world for tattoos, I'd rather find some good local-ish artists.

I have two spots that I consider prime canvas: I would like sleeves of some length (I've flip flopped from half to 3/4 to full) and maybe a large piece on my back. Because I'm not sure exactly the size and style of tattoos I want in those areas and I want them to be cohesive, I've always known I would save those until I was 1000% sure I wanted to give up that valuable real estate. I went 4 years between my first and second tattoos for money/confidence/time reasons, and now that I seem to be getting in a better place overall, I might work at a faster pace. I'm fine with any of the other places I don't consider off limits (neck, hands, etc) in any order. I'd like to space them out a little at least for healing purposes, but they'll probably be unintentionally more spaced out than I would like based on money. I don't consider myself a collector and just don't really have any interest in traveling all over the world for tattoos, I'd rather find some good local-ish artists.

Oh, see, if I had time to travel, I'd do it in a heart beat... I've began planning a minor trip for a pin-up, though I haven't even nabbed the artist yet. Too many responsibilities in real life.

Like you, I'm saving my prime real estate, albeit for the big guys (or gals), particularly my back. I know what I want, but it has to be perfectly executed. It may be a couple years, but I'm in no hurry.

I have two painful areas left and im done,although I want to start laser on my left sleeve but only after those areas are finished.... Ribs, god damn ribs!!!

My first was on my outer thigh, so I thought tattooing was easy-peasy. Then the next four were rib, abdomen/pubis, and hip tattoos. Holy Jesus. That hip tattoo was way worse. I had to keep apologizing to the poor artist for putting up with my bullshit. When in pain, I count, deep breathe, but even then, sometimes I couldn't help but moan a little. No one wants to put up with that.

I must say now I am in a financial position to get more tattoos I am making full advantage of it, the thought being that in say 5 years I won't have as much money to spend on tattoos, hence why I am starting my backpiece in 26 days (not that I'm counting. haha) All my tattoos are traditional so I guess it makes it easier just to go get a one shot when I can afford it after that, that's the plan for the rest of my left arm!

I have a list of people I want to get tattooed by, I really like the old way of thinking, or not thinking should I say, and going and getting a tattoo without an idea of what I want when the opportunity arises. That's how I've inadvertently started my left arm in the last month. I see something, I like it, I get it. (be impulsive!) Maybe its easier with traditional? But for sure some of my favourite tattoos were impulsive decisions (well, when you walk in to a shop and Valerie Vargas has a cancellation, its a good idea to take it!)

I must say that in the last two years I've really made headway with my arms, I had always imagined myself with sleeves from when first started being interested in tattoos all those years ago, I'm now finding myself considering my chest/stomach/legs something I had never considered before. Even up until a year ago I had never considered my back, now its happening!

Once my back and chest are done, i'll slow down and end up getting covered piece by piece.