Being done vs Waiting, and collecting

joakim urma

Oh, see, if I had time to travel, I'd do it in a heart beat... I've began planning a minor trip for a pin-up, though I haven't even nabbed the artist yet. Too many responsibilities in real life.

Not to say I refuse to travel. If I ever find an artist that I love and a design I really want that particular person to do, I would go to them as soon as it was feasible. But I'm just not interested in hopping all over the world getting things from different people just to say I got tattooed by so-and-so. Great for people that are into that, but I'm just not.

I have two spots that I consider prime canvas: I would like sleeves of some length (I've flip flopped from half to 3/4 to full)

I used to be the same way and my very first tattoo was a half-sleeve a week after I turned 18. I never imagined getting more tattoos after that but sure enough I now have a full-sleeve and my entire chest done as well with more ink on the way.

I can say that for the arms especially, you will feel incomplete eventually with just half-sleeves. Once you start on the arms, I believe it's hard not to go all the way to the wrist.

I'm currently at the waiting stage, but somewhat planning future tattoos and generally obsessing about it. Have only got one tattoo at the moment (on my arm). Next step is a full back piece, then onto my empty arm, where I'm yet to decide between a half-sleeve or several small tattoos (leaning towards the latter). After that, probably a chest-piece or something on my ribs. Not planning to cover my whole body, but who knows...

Started on a shoulder/arm piece which is turning into a full sleeve. I'm already thinking about the next possible project. DEFINITELY going through an obsessive moment here, so I'm trying to pace. I think it's important to see if my current wish for the next tattoo lasts for a while.

I've been getting tattooed quite a bit lately, but everything is on hold for the moment. Once my ribs, left leg, and stomach are finished I'm going to hold off for awhile. As far as saving space, I'm saving my entire right leg from ankle to halfway up the thigh, in case I ever go to Japan and have Tebori done.

I've been getting tattooed quite a bit lately, but everything is on hold for the moment. Once my ribs, left leg, and stomach are finished I'm going to hold off for awhile. As far as saving space, I'm saving my entire right leg from ankle to halfway up the thigh, in case I ever go to Japan and have Tebori done.

Most (not all) tebori artists are slower than machine only artists. Keep that in mind if you're planning tebori for a huge piece like that.

There are a handful of artists here in the states that do tebori: Shinji (Horizakura) in New York and Horitomo and Horiken at State of Grace in San Jose, CA come to mind immediately. I know that several members of the Horitoshi family travel to conventions in NY and SF, too. Just sayin': you can get tebori stateside if you'd like.

Most (not all) tebori artists are slower than machine only artists. Keep that in mind if you're planning tebori for a huge piece like that.

There are a handful of artists here in the states that do tebori: Shinji (Horizakura) in New York and Horitomo and Horiken at State of Grace in San Jose, CA come to mind immediately. I know that several members of the Horitoshi family travel to conventions in NY and SF, too. Just sayin': you can get tebori stateside if you'd like.

Yea I know there was (is) a guy at Invisible doing tebori. Not sure if it was a guest or not but it was done there.

I'm going to collect tattoos over time. My taste has matured since I had my first one done (a Bettie Page head shot on my right hip bone and I still love it to this day), and I want to give myself at least 6 good months to make sure that what I'm thinking of will still be what I want by the end of that time. It doesn't matter which tattoos get done first, but I plan to have the outsides of my upper arms, calves, lower back area, and possibly the sides of my thighs. All the parts that hurt the least! lol. I don't think I really have an artist preference in terms of who's tattooing me, but that could change. I know for certain that two tattoo ideas I'm currently piecing together (as separate tattoos) have to do with my grandparents and my love for Canada (I have family there and massively enjoy visiting). I am having an issue with my preference for the coloring of whatever I get next, as I don't want to have so much dark in any of them that years from now they'll look like dark blobs- but at the same time, I trust the artist I'm working with and the opinions on it that she/he will have.

Yeah, I know Tebori is a long process, but I feel like it would be worth it.

Thank you very much for telling me about those artists. Getting it done in the US would at least cut down the traveling costs, so that's definitely a great option.

• 2 weeks later...

I am enjoying taking my time with getting to the point of being covered. I have a list of tattoos I want, and for the most part its been a lack of funds or the fact I was pushing out babies that prevented me from getting them sooner ;) but I like sitting on an idea for a while and making sure I have it worked out before going in for a consultation. I get that not everyone gets every single tattoo to hold huge meaning ( I have a few in mind that I want that are just because I like the way they will look)- but it does annoy me when I see friends get a heap of stuff done in a small time frame purely for the popularity factor. for me personally- its about the journey.i want to have a fantastic story to tell when im 75, not "oh I got all this done by a guy who offered a cheaper rate all within 18 months".... I want to be able to waffle on for hours :)

I am hesitant to even type this, but I think I need to start slowing down. I believe I've gotten 11 tattoos this year, and I'd like to get 2 more to make an even 13 for 2013, but I'm also not a very large person. I've only been getting tattooed for about 4 years and probably have 25% coverage. I'd like to get tattooed for many years to come and I know my tastes are going to change. What's probably going to happen is I'm going to stop getting tattooed for a little while, save up a bunch of money, and then start working on the really big pieces.

I definitely wish I hadn't gotten tattooed as rapidly as I did for a period of about three years. I had a good relationship with a few good artists and that made it hard to stay away, but I really wish I'd fleshed a few of these ideas out a bit more before committing to them; there's a few good tattoos that had the potential to be REALLY good.

I'm about 60% to 70% covered, which seemed really cool a couple years ago but I wish I'd been a bit pickier.

Yea I know there was (is) a guy at Invisible doing tebori. Not sure if it was a guest or not but it was done there.

Yeah, that was actually my sensei, Horitoyo. He was doing a guest spot at Invisible NYC.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2 full sleeves and leg pieces. I don't really know what I want or have much ideas. Ideas usually come when I have the finance for the tattoo haha. I try to save the locations for specific artist I look up to. Like my back is for my teacher, Horitoyo.

I am hesitant to even type this, but I think I need to start slowing down. I believe I've gotten 11 tattoos this year, and I'd like to get 2 more to make an even 13 for 2013, but I'm also not a very large person. I've only been getting tattooed for about 4 years and probably have 25% coverage. I'd like to get tattooed for many years to come and I know my tastes are going to change. What's probably going to happen is I'm going to stop getting tattooed for a little while, save up a bunch of money, and then start working on the really big pieces.

Honestly, I'm starting to feel the same.. After having trouble finding a spot for a palm sized tattoo when I was in SF it really hit me. Since January 1st I have been tattooed 10 times (and got tattooed 2 days before new years this year). I also am getting tattooed on Friday and then again on December 4th. So that will make it 13 before New Years again. Last year I got tattooed around 15 times. As much as I say I want to slow down a bit, I love traveling and I love tattoos and getting them. I'm already planning to go to the Philly convention in February and then getting tattooed by Rob Ryan the day before the convention.. Also planning a trip to Ann Arbor in April to get tattooed by Jeff Zuck & Cole Dunn.. maybe after then I will take a little break :rolleyes:

I usually get 2 tattoos each year, that's because of my budget and the artist that I go to isn't cheap. He's usually booked out 3-4 months so it gives me time to save up. Family and bills always the priority obviously, but I love getting tattooed. Being new to tattooing I love to learn from tattooers I'm inspired by so I get tattooed by them. I'm saving my large canvas for the tattooers that I want to tattoo them. I have fun getting somewhat larger pieces on my arms and legs and that's what I will do for a while. Until I have the funds for my chest/stomach and back piece. I want to be able to get tattooed up until I'm gone, who knows if that will happen. I'm just not sure how I'd like feeling about not having any space left to tattoo (face is off limits).

I'm glad I took many years off between tattoo obsessions. Prior to 2005, I only had 5 and 4 were big. I'm getting the last one redone in a couple of weeks and it will go into a full forearm sleeve.

I jumped around a lot of shops when I was younger, have been tattooed by only 2 artists since, both being ladies. I have 11 tattoos now.

I'd have more work done, but I did a big stretch of night college and had a family to raise. So funds and time were limited. My intent is to get something done each year. I save up with $20 here and there until I have more than enough. I'm hoping my next work will come in at under $800.

Rob

Heres my two cents on the subject. I am 35 years old got my first tat about 20 years ago. I was 15 or 16 years old at the time. A friends brother did them so I was able to bypass the age thing. I have always loved tattoos but the one I got I cannot stand anymore. I have not liked it for many years and its getting covered up on the 19th along with the 2nd tat I have. At the time they were sweet but as I aged I changed alot. My personality my likes and interests. I feel that time between tats is a good thing because as your tastes change so will your ta5s and you will have a place to put them left. Plus I can afford a quality tattoo that i was unable to have years ago. I focus on quality not quantity.I rather have one amazing piece over a bunch of good pieces. I will be starting a full slevee on the 19th and have no plans on anything else. I do want my other arm done but gonnq wait until when i dont know.Just my experience.

Edited by jvince1230
more thought

I wish I had the money to get more than 1 or 2 decent sized tattoos a year

I splurged this year, by this time next week I'll be at 5 for this year.. I don't anticipate having this much done next year.

Like said above, I'm in no huge rush. 1-3 per year depending on size should work.. ;) unless if course I come across extra funds.