Tattoo Books...

I got my first tattoo a while ago, and fell in love with the medium and the art of the trade. Since then I've been engrossing myself with as much information about tattoos I can find. I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations for books that have information about the history of the art and some of the key artists in the past. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Maxx

Max- Here's a quick list of some threads on our tattoo forum/community where tattoo books have been suggested for both tattooers and tattoo collectors:

Tattooer's Reference Libraries

Tattoo Fonts, Tattoo Lettering & Tattoo Script

Tribal Tattoos

Religious and Spiritual Tattoos

Russian Tattoo Designs

Old Tattoo Photos

Tattoo Archive

Was tattooing as popular 100 years ago?

Artist Sketch Books

Tattoo Definitions

Patrick asks a good question:

I would also be interested in knowing what tattooers think of non-tattooers such as myself having access to these kinds of books/information.. Not like I'm some jerk sporting a bedazzled t-shirt who loves me some "siq tatz" but maybe there's a little ambivalence since I'm not a tattooer..? (Man, I hope I don't get shut down here!)

In his thread about Tattoo Archive that no tattooers have answered. I don't know if this was missed or tattooers are opting to respect the site keeping it positive and just not weighing in which is appreciated! I do also know I have asked some questions as well that don't get answered so I always assume the two above answers as feasible so out of respect for the trade and love of tattooing I'll let them remain silent or weigh in positively and respectfully. Just so you know if you don't get many answers here. I do look forward to new books all the time so I can continue to learn to respect tattooing and its history and present more.

As to the question on tattooers suggesting other tattooers both past and present that is all over the site and I won't put it all in one thread cause that would take the mystery and fun from reading each thread!

Thanks in advance!!

Hey Maxx i'm pretty much in the same boat as you and an avid bookworm.First stop check the book review section of this site Bob Roberts is certainly a key player and a living legend,and the Hanky Panky book a great reference that will point the path to more artists .I my self can recommend Sailor Jerry Collins American Tattoo Master as an entertaining introduction that is also inexpensive.If Irezumi is your thing Bushido ,or Tattoos of the Floating world by Horitaka are excellent starting points.Bookmistriss is a really great site for more in depth stuff particulary in the traditional vein .It's mentioned elsewhere on this site i think under C.W. Eldridge-Kyle

Hey Maxx i'm pretty much in the same boat as you and an avid bookworm.First stop check the book review section of this site Bob Roberts is certainly a key player and a living legend,and the Hanky Panky book a great reference that will point the path to more artists .I my self can recommend Sailor Jerry Collins American Tattoo Master as an entertaining introduction that is also inexpensive.If Irezumi is your thing Bushido ,or Tattoos of the Floating world by Horitaka are excellent starting points.Bookmistriss is a really great site for more in depth stuff particulary in the traditional vein .It's mentioned elsewhere on this site i think under C.W. Eldridge-Kyle

Kyle thanks for picking up the slack on suggesting LST's Book review section Scott started as I spaced. I added backlinks to your post for them.

Lochlan and Kyle thanks for the great responses... I must say that this forum, despite its smaller size of users, has had the most helpful people on it. The replies are always incredible. I will definitely continue to post here! however, I am still new to the world of tattoos, so I think more reading is in order before writing. Thanks again guys.

• 2 weeks later...