just one questions

riddle

Riddle me this

If I can't get an apprenticeship in my town (no one wants one, or I'm out of town too often, or there are no tattoo shops, whatever reason) where does one draw the line and start scratching at home?

How do you know you can justify scratching? Seeing all these guys in the magazines and everything who started scratching. I think I am close and I need someone to talk me into it or out of it. Checking kits and machines on eBay as we speak.

I think you should try harder and try more to find an apprenticeship.. Scratching at home is a bad idea.

If you truly want to pursue tattooing, maybe you should look beyond your town, county or state. There are more shops out there then ever before and there's no excuse for scratching at home if you're truly serious. Couple that with gaining the respect of your peers will be nearly impossible.

Out of town too often? This is hard work and dedication; what you are willing to sacrifice? Home life? Play time? Traveling? It better be all of those things.

Have you spent money getting tattooed any the shops you went to? Or are you just going in asking strangers to teach you a trade? Go get heavily tattooed at one of these shops, and maybe they'll take you more seriously. Go every week. Invest in your future career; that is, if tattooing is right for you. It's not for everyone.

Btw; telling us that you are looking at machines and 'kits' on eBay was about the dumbest thing anyone has posted all week.

Some things to think about:

-tattooing a craft, blue collar work. Like a blacksmith, carpenter, etc

-tattooing (almost always) involves two people

-medical training is necessary on a fundamental level

-tattooing is an extremely difficult and specialized thing to do

These are aspects of the job that are not widely publicized nor very glamourous. Taking all of that into account, are you willing to compromise other people's health and self image because you are too impatient to do it the right way? And given the last point especially, it isn't something you do as a hobby. If you scratch at home, you always have a foot out the door. You can stop any time you like, nobody will be there to hold you accountable and make you want to get better. I'm not being condescending per se, just letting you know that the hard way is the only way and tattooing is por vida.

I noticed you made two threads about the exact same thing, both in the initiation section and never introduced yourself or put forth the effort to participate enough to be able to start your own thread.

Really evaluate your efforts regarding tattooing and ask yourself if you are taking the same short cuts.

I posted in the other thread as well before noticing this one.

Riddle me this

If I can't get an apprenticeship in my town (no one wants one, or I'm out of town too often, or there are no tattoo shops, whatever reason) where does one draw the line and start scratching at home?

How do you know you can justify scratching? Seeing all these guys in the magazines and everything who started scratching. I think I am close and I need someone to talk me into it or out of it. Checking kits and machines on eBay as we speak.

No. You can never justify scratching no more than you can justify practicing law, medicine, or anything else without proper training and licensing.