iambilly-Billy Hill on Youtube

Sorry if this subject can be found in another thread. My search skills may be lacking.

I often spend time searching out tattoo media of some sort; either here or shop websites, blogs, Instagram or Youtube.

I happened upon this series of vids by Billy Hill on Youtube. Surprised I'd never seen them before. Perhaps I passed over them a hundred times. Who knows.

I am not a tattooer but I am interested in the craft from many angles. I've found these vids fairly entertaining and informative. There seems to be a shitload of them, of which I've only watched a few.

I'm just curious about opinions of those here, especially tattooers, that are familiar with the man and/or the series.

In the current era, is it still taboo to talk about techniques and methods openly as opposed to the old school's guarded secrecy?

I have huge respect for those artists that came up the hard way not so long ago. I recall the Tim Hendricks LST interview when he talks about counting drops of ink on the sly while being tattooed. That's fucking cool imho. I can relate to that on a somewhat different level as a guitarist in his 40s. When I was coming up, I was in many ways, on my own. I learned what I could from books and friends and local badasses. Other than that, I picked up and redropped the needle (no pun lol ! ) hundreds of times on Hendrix, Zeppelin and Sabbath albums, to name a few. No Youtube tutorials and what have you. I think that relative solitude hepled me develop of voice distinctly my own. Many a tattooer could probably tell relatively similiar story.

But them days is way over so....sorry....didn't mean to get all philosophical n' stuff lol

So....anyone seen, like or hate these vids ? Guess I should post a link.....the trailer in pretty funny I must admit ;)

Billy Hill - YouTube

This has the potential to be an interesting thread. I have watched many of Billy's videos and wondered what respected tattooers would think of them.

Not being a tattooer myself I don't really get an opinion but...it seems to me that he straddles the very fine line of maybe talking a bit too freely about the craft? I have to say I kinda enjoy the videos as I enjoy learning about the craft even though I have no interest in ever trying to become a tattooer--zero drawing ability and too old to think I could master something like that.

This has the potential to be an interesting thread. I have watched many of Billy's videos and wondered what respected tattooers would think of them.

Not being a tattooer myself I don't really get an opinion but...it seems to me that he straddles the very fine line of maybe talking a bit too freely about the craft? I have to say I kinda enjoy the videos as I enjoy learning about the craft even though I have no interest in ever trying to become a tattooer--zero drawing ability and too old to think I could master something like that.

My sentiments exactly.

I thought too that it might become an interesting thread but, perhaps I've missed the boat and this has already been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere here. If that is the case, mods, feel free to ditch this sucker ;)