I'm Gonna Get My First Tattoo!

Carly Wilkinson

Hello everybody! As the title says, I'm going to get my very first tattoo in the near future, so I decided to join a forum to learn what I can. Just from browsing various threads, I know the subject of price tends to be pretty touchy. However, if it's possible, I'd like to have at least a ball-park estimate of the cost of the tattoo below (just the narwhal itself, no waves). Also, if you, dear reader, have any suggestions as to how this tattoo could be improved, I'm all ears! It will go on my foot, just like in the picture. Thanks for reading~

tumblr_ly7u5ohWEd1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

Hello and welcome. The best way to get a good tattoo is to go to a good artist. If you tell us where you are we can suggest some good people around you.

That we don't talk about price here aside, it's impossible to tell you what a tattoo like that "should" cost because pricing usually depends on a lot of factors.

Thank you! I live on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, if you know of any artists there. Assuming I do find a good artist, considering the size and location of the tattoo, could you give a guess? I don't want an exact price and I won't assume that it's correct, but it would be helpful to have a general idea before I go.

I don't know of any specifically in Cape Cod, but I'd drive to Providence RI and go to Providence Tattoo. I really like what Dennis there is doing, but they all have really solid portfolios. Ron Henry Wells is mostly based in RI these days as well, I believe. He's tattooed me a couple of times and I highly recommend him, he's a great tattooer and really such a warm and enthusiastic guy.

I can't guess what a tattoo like that would cost.

If I can't make it to Providence Tattoo, do you think this would be a good place, based on the art? I've had friends go there for piercings and they say the environment is great, but I'll look elsewhere if the art is sub-par. Thank you all for helping me by the way, you guys are fantastic!

I think those artists could easily do what you're wanting.

That shop looks nice and I'm sure they do a great job of tattooing daily. Personally, nothing catches my eye, which would make me look elsewhere. But, I'm not getting my first tattoo anymore and I've learned what I love and look for in a tattooer. This is your first, probably won't be your last, just look for something exceptional.

TAM Blog has this up, and it's been posted here before. While I find fault with a few things, I think it is a good starter for someone new to tattooing: Guen Douglas: How to Properly Examine a Tattoo Portfolio | TAM Blog