What's a good gratuity or tip?

titforatat

Generally we like to keep talk about money off of LST.

I don't like talking about money either and call me old fashion...or just plain old, I prefer to bring gifts. Books, bottles of alcohol, some type of food or treats. Sure cash can be king, but this works for me and the artist always seem to appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Generally we like to keep talk about money off of LST.

Sure, same as on other forums. But I'm not certain if people are aware that at lots of shops where a tattoo artist is employed, and not the shop owner (or a partner), s/he receives a percentage of the price -- 50% is traditional and frequent -- rather than all of it. So, might be that of the $120 someone's paying for that cute 'lil skunk, only $60 is headed for the artist's wallet. Is anyone tattooing for an hourly wage? :confused:

I don't understand. Why are we not allowed to talk $? It can only be good for the artists if people understand generally accepted etiquette...

I was just wondering this the other day. I have always tipped, but those were guys tattooing out of other peoples shops. Does the same go when you are paying hundreds an hour to a guy who owns his own shop? You don't have to give me a $ or % amount if it's breaking some rule, just wondering overall.

Tipping in the service industry is customary. In the US, this is usually about about 15%. Many people have their own ideas, less or more. I've spoken with people from other countries, and some countries don't tip, or tip less.

A lot of people mentioned bringing non-cash tips.

A good rule, whether an owner or someone who simply works in the shop does it, is what the tattoo is worth to you. If it was agreed upon to be a $300 job, and you feel it's worth $350, doesn't matter who does it. If you feel you got ripped, talk with the artist how to fix it, leave a standard tip to part on good terms if they're amicable. If they're rude and refuse to consider further discussion, then leave without tipping and never return.

This thread should be called "Please explain to me the basis of tipping?" This subject has been spoken about a few times. You either understand tipping or you don't. There's no magical formula for tattooing. You are giving extra money based on your satisfaction. The key is "YOUR" satisfaction, that's all you need to concern yourself with.

I don't understand. Why are we not allowed to talk $? It can only be good for the artists if people understand generally accepted etiquette...

I was just wondering this the other day. I have always tipped, but those were guys tattooing out of other peoples shops. Does the same go when you are paying hundreds an hour to a guy who owns his own shop? You don't have to give me a $ or % amount if it's breaking some rule, just wondering overall.

Gratuity is just that, an expression of gratitude. But on the other note, a shop owner has it harder than you think. They are responsible for all overhead, maintenance, extraneous expenses, etc., which may or may not add up to a lot during any given month.

Agreed with @dari. Talking about cash carried by you to a tattoo shop and thus potentially by your artist at day's end is not something that should be talked about on a PUBLIC forum.

Let's all think on that for a moment and let your imaginations run their course.

...and the light bulb flashes on! Hopefully.

I generally have this bad habit of walking around with too much cash or leave it in my car. Am I a target? Not really, unless you like to get shot.

After my appointment, I like to stay around as they close up the shop just in case.

Rob

Tips have never been an issue for me. What I mean is, I don't have a pre set thought on what is the best "percentage" , or even whether or not I get them.

Usually, people just do what they can...... If I price a walk in well below the assumed price, I often get a larger tip............but on loyal repeat customers, with ongoing work I usually get the same amount each time.

I tip as I see fit when I get tattooed....and I base it on exactly what I hope people base mine on...

The experience...

The level of professionalism...

The attitude of the Tattooer....

The work itself ..of course....

I give as much as I can when the experience is all around good......and I've had the pleasure of getting tattooed by some super KOOL folks. The kinda tattooers that make you return later and give them something for a tip that goes beyond the money.... A gift of sorts....

I've also been tattooed by some...well.... Less than KOOL folks. I won't ever in my life spend another cent of my money on them. I don't pay people I can't stand. Whether the work is the best in the world or not, if your an ass.....you aren't getting my money. That's just me.....

There's FAR too many great folks to get work from on jerk...... They are the minority... Find someone who has solid work AND is a gent...or lady.....

Tips have never been an issue for me. What I mean is, I don't have a pre set thought on what is the best "percentage" , or even whether or not I get them.

Usually, people just do what they can...... If I price a walk in well below the assumed price, I often get a larger tip............but on loyal repeat customers, with ongoing work I usually get the same amount each time.

I tip as I see fit when I get tattooed....and I base it on exactly what I hope people base mine on...

The experience...

The level of professionalism...

The attitude of the Tattooer....

The work itself ..of course....

I give as much as I can when the experience is all around good......and I've had the pleasure of getting tattooed by some super KOOL folks. The kinda tattooers that make you return later and give them something for a tip that goes beyond the money.... A gift of sorts....

I've also been tattooed by some...well.... Less than KOOL folks. I won't ever in my life spend another cent of my money on them. I don't pay people I can't stand. Whether the work is the best in the world or not, if your an ass.....you aren't getting my money. That's just me.....

There's FAR too many great folks to get work from on jerk...... They are the minority... Find someone who has solid work AND is a gent...or lady.....

You're right, people tip what they can afford to. When I had my last koi fish done, the 2nd session came in way under what I expected. So I laid a $50 on her for that. Decent tippers get treated better, not that I expected it, it just came around like that.

My son, he just had a nice piece done last week at the shop we go to. He's a good tipper as well and he gets treated as well as I do. I've had more than one artist tell me that there are a lot of creeps that come through the door.

Rob