traditional flash help

traditionalguy

hi all this is my introduction thread. im a huge enthusiast in tattoos and i love american traditional style hence the name. im going to school to major in art education but i all types of art. the reason i titled this thread trad. flash help is because i drew an american traditional design and would like some input on it. i had planned to get it on my left leg but placement is still up in the air and i dont know if i should keep all of the elements. i also want to get a homeward bound ship on the same leg in the future so i need to plan around that. constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance guys

IMG_20130924_092720_zps4287bb3d.jpg

well its a tattoo done by amund dietzel ,legendary artist. his was originally the wheel on top of the anchor. but i wanted to make it a little more my own. just wondering if i should keep or get rid of any parts? and placement of it. it originally had a rope intertwining but i nixed that. really like the globe so i dont want to get rid of that.

well its a tattoo done by amund dietzel ' date='legendary artist. his was originally the wheel on top of the anchor. but i wanted to make it a little more my own. just wondering if i should keep or get rid of any parts? and placement of it. it originally had a rope intertwining but i nixed that. really like the globe so i dont want to get rid of that.[/quote']

I honestly can't see the pic you posted..

post-6005-146168860173_thumb.jpg

Mine

Honestly, this is what's gonna happen if you take that drawing into a shop: they're gonna look at your drawing, hand it back to you, grab the exact same line drawing from the back, and slap it on you. Amund Dietzel is a highly-regarded old timer and an influence to many tattooers working today. I'm gonna go on a limb and say you probably got that design from These Old Blue Arms? The original design exists, it's great as it is, and it works. Which isn't to discourage you from drawing and painting flash if you enjoy doing so, cause it's a lot of fun! Just like.. let the tattooer design your pieces. Everyone I know who has gotten their own drawings on them (including myself) regrets it. And that's not necessarily because the drawing is bad but because it's so personal, you are likely to grow out of it. As practicing artists, skills evolve.

interesting take. i saw in in an exhibit at an art museum, it was all dietzels flash art. ive already taken the drawing to a shop and to an artist that does a lot of traditional. id be fine getting dietzels design as is but i feel a personal touch will give a connection.

- - - Updated - - -

[Honestly, this is what's gonna happen if you take that drawing into a shop: they're gonna look at your drawing, hand it back to you, grab the exact same line drawing from the back, and slap it on you. Amund Dietzel is a highly-regarded old timer and an influence to many tattooers working today. I'm gonna go on a limb and say you probably got that design from These Old Blue Arms? The original design exists, it's great as it is, and it works. Which isn't to discourage you from drawing and painting flash if you enjoy doing so, cause it's a lot of fun! Just like.. let the tattooer design your pieces. Everyone I know who has gotten their own drawings on them (including myself) regrets it. And that's not necessarily because the drawing is bad but because it's so personal, you are likely to grow out of it. As practicing artists, skills evolve.QUOTE]

so your advice was ditch the design altogether? or id i misinterpret something

No, sorry if I was confusing. I mostly meant that you shouldn't go into a shop expecting to have the exact design you drew as the final tattoo drawing. Like... if the illustration is to show the tattooer the design elements you want to add, I think that's great. It is not uncommon for people to come into a shop wanting their exact drawing tattooed, when it may need adjustments to be tattooable. So I think you'll be fine. And keep up the drawing! :)

[No, sorry if I was confusing. I mostly meant that you shouldn't go into a shop expecting to have the exact design you drew as the final tattoo drawing. Like... if the illustration is to show the tattooer the design elements you want to add, I think that's great. It is not uncommon for people to come into a shop wanting their exact drawing tattooed, when it may need adjustments to be tattooable. So I think you'll be fine. And keep up the drawing! QUOTE]

i actually might have been confusing you guys. i took this into a shop and told the artist to fix what was wrong with it to make it a more solid design. so the picture i drew wont be an exact copy of what i get tattooed. i just wanted to give him an idea of what i would like it to look like and the colors in it. im pretty flexible with the design so ill let him fix things so its over all better

- - - Updated - - -

and the reason i wanted to make it more my own is then i have a reason to get it done. everyone says an anchor doesnt have any meaning to me so why get one. drawing the design myself gives me a little more of a reason when i tell people

and the reason i wanted to make it more my own is then i have a reason to get it done. everyone says an anchor doesnt have any meaning to me so why get one. drawing the design myself gives me a little more of a reason when i tell people

One of the biggest lies reality television has created is that you need a "reason" to get a tattoo. If it's cool, and makes you feel awesome, then that is all you need.

^ thats what ive been telling everyone. i love american traditional. im not a sailor and i have no interest in becoming one. but i love the style and era of tattooing. to answer your question im having it done by josh at cutthroat tattoo in milwauke WI. you can see his work on instagram @theonetrickpony