Hi, Im New!!

NotExpected85

Theres not a symbol for the verse(s) that i like or truly represents what im going after. Other than maybe a stop sign?

I've learned through these forums that the symbol does not have to be literal.. It's a strange concept at first if it's new to you but it opens up the possibilities to endless

You guys are just so funny suggesting things. Pentagrams, Rims, Fudos. No to all. Im pretty set on the wording without a symbol. When asking for advice I DID NOT mean " Should I get this?" or " What should I get". Advice in my mind meant " Hey dont wash it with a loofah " or " Wear sunscreen "..etc

You guys are just so funny suggesting things. Pentagrams, Rims, Fudos. No to all. Im pretty set on the wording without a symbol. When asking for advice I DID NOT mean " Should I get this?" or " What should I get". Advice in my mind meant " Hey dont wash it with a loofah " or " Wear sunscreen "..etc

Pardon us, you opened the flood gate of opinions :). If all you are looking for is aftercare advice: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/32-best-post-tattoo-care.html, I wholeheartedly encourage you to take advantage of the search function in the future.

Ok, advice: Leave the bandage on for at least a few hours. The less you do to it during healing process the better. Don't get it facing you; while this may not bother you or your friends, it's an A1 rookie mistake. And if you decide to get more and go bigger and start delving into the world of tattoos, you may feel a little sheepish about it.

Good luck!

Theres not a symbol for the verse(s) that i like or truly represents what im going after. Other than maybe a stop sign?

When I was getting my first tattoo, for months beforehand, I wanted to get a phrase taken from a John Cheever quote -- "write to make sense of life" (full quote: "The need to write comes from the need to make sense of one's life and discover one's usefulness.") -- AND I wanted to get in Latin. This was only six years ago, but I don't even remember what my reasoning was for the whole Latin thing.

Anyway, after stressing over the correct spelling for the Latin (seriously. wut.), font options for the script, etc., I finally decided the reason I was dallying on actually getting the tattoo was because I didn't really want to get words written on me. I wanted an image. I wanted something that would look beautiful. I wanted art.

So I found the ibis, the bird that represents the Egyptian deity Thoth, who served as scribe to the gods. As soon as I stumbled upon it, I knew it would be the image I got tattooed on me. It held the meaning I wanted, that was important to me, but it was also a beautiful image of a lovely bird (my ibis is in flight).

Now that I have three more tattoos, I feel confident saying I don't think I'll ever put text on my body. I think script can look really great incorporated into certain designs, but what I personally like about tattoos is that they are mobile art that I get to carry with me everywhere I go. It's a bit ironic given how much I clearly value the written word, but hey, a time and place for everything, right? :)

Side benefit -- there's more ambiguity with pictures. They feel more personal to me. I know what my ibis means, and if someone who sees it asks me about it, I can tell them. For everyone else who doesn't ask, they'll just see a pretty bird in flight. And that's cool, too.

Anyway, good luck with your tattoo -- I hope you get exactly what you want.

Edited by keepcalm
lol. I am long-winded. sorry!

Wel its done. I got Be Still facing me on my inner left wrist. :)

ETA:

Alright so heres the process for those interested :)

Im a GIANT chicken. I dont like needles/pain/etc. I was excited but nervous about it all but set on doing it. I researched a ton on aftercare and wrist tattoos in general. I watched You Tube videos to get an idea on pain and even the sound of the machine. I went yesterday and got Bacitracin, Dove Unscented and Curel Unscented. I told myself since i bought that stuff i was in it now. I even bought OJ because i heard it can help healing, lol.

I arrived at the shop and someone else was getting a tattoo so they had the machine going, which made me feel so much better. Still nervous but made me feel better. I also ate lunch before i left (sandwich and goldfish) because i heard it can prevent you from passing out.

I had already told the artist I wanted Be Still on my inner left wrist so she had a few fonts drawn up but i didnt really like how they looked more fancy than simple. She took out some loopy-ness to the Ls and made it more simple.

She had me lay down on my back and she started. Now I will tell you when she started I was FINE. It did NOT hurt. It didnt tickle but it didnt hurt. It did feel like "scratching"/"poking" closer to the middle of my wrist. BUT when she got to my right side of my wrist, I could have easily cussed and maybe grabbed the bed a little hard. It didnt last because she was moving quickly, but it felt more like the skin ripping some people talked about. Unpleasant but not unbearable. Not fun. The whole tat took seriously 5-10 minutes. She was fast. Im SOOOO happy. I was able to talk through it all, i had to pause at a few points but when she noticed it hurt she sort of moved and talked to me to keep me distracted.

Would you believe afterward, i thought " That was easy, i want to do it again"? :)

I left on the saran wrap for 2hrs (although she recommended taking it right off and washing every hour, but i cant do that with 4 dogs, 1 cat and 3 kids) Then i washed it with the Dove, patted dry and applied the Bac. I have left it unwrapped (until tonight and for tonight only).

Overall? IM SOOO GLAD I DID IT! Its so out of my element and not like me.

tat_zps2be8ce36.jpg

Edited by NotExpected85
added pic

No I was definitely joking. Smh to the idiot that did that rocker.

I guess, but I think that ultimately that if the person getting tattooed is given advice about the correct direction and they insist on it, it's on them. Tattoos are a statement and if what they want to put out into the world is that they're a self-absorbed moron who can't take good advice, then fuck 'em.