Shop etiquette question

Synesthesia

Just out of curiosity...what's the general consensus on getting ink from different guys in one shop? Is it better to stick with one guy per shop?

I can l probably best explain it like this.

I am currently getting tattooed by two guys in the same shop at the same time. Yup that's right. Regino on Saturday, Matt on Sunday. They seem to have zero problem with it and usually swing by whenever the other is tattooing me to look at what they are up to.

Go for it!

I'm working to get tattooed by everyone in the shop I frequent. I've never heard about it being a problem. In fact, the artists seem to enjoy seeing what each other is up to. The only time I think it might raise eyebrows is if you are getting one artist to change or cover up another artist's work. Again, the situation would largely be dependent on the personalities involved - including the client.

I'm working to get tattooed by everyone in eh shop I frequent. I've never heard about it being a problem. In fact' date=' the artists seem to enjoy seeing what each other at up to. The only time I think it might raise eyebrows is if you are getting one artist to change or cover up another artist's work. Again, the situation would largely be dependent on the personalities involved - including the client.[/quote']

Agreed! The reason I want work from all is their styles very, although my current artist will be doing my traditional work on my left arm.

Thanks guys, I didn't know if it would be considered rude somehow. It's not exactly realistic to expect someone to get ALL their tattoos from just one guy, but didn't know if it was thought of as someone "stealing" someone else's business or anything like that. I've been looking into local-ish shops lately and there's some places where I love what everyone is doing, and would consider getting pieces from each of them.

I really like the work of the one person in the shop I'm at. However, I wouldn't hesitate as much as I've talked to the other guys to talk about what they like to do and see their portfolios. If I can catch him, I plan on talking to one of the guys just because I like what he's done on other people, and I want to see more... Already told one guy I wanted him to do a wolf and touch up my old, old cherry blossom and add a koi in addition to my next tattoo.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a pretty common thought from clients.......

......I explain to them that tattoo "collectors" are different than people with tattoos....

I push clients to explore the world of tattooing and collect tattoos from folks who create the kinda stuff they dig. Especially if your already interested in travel. Work a tattoo appointment into a vacation..or a trip.... Get work from outside your bubble.

So...whether it be from 3 guys in one shop.....3 shops on one block or 3 shops around the map.... The goal should be to get excited about your collection.

Any shop that has tattooers tattooed by many, should endorse you getting tattooed by ANY...

As long as it's good solid work.... Go get it... Anywhere you find it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This is a pretty common thought from clients.......

......I explain to them that tattoo "collectors" are different than people with tattoos....

I push clients to explore the world of tattooing and collect tattoos from folks who create the kinda stuff they dig. Especially if your already interested in travel. Work a tattoo appointment into a vacation..or a trip.... Get work from outside your bubble.

So...whether it be from 3 guys in one shop.....3 shops on one block or 3 shops around the map.... The goal should be to get excited about your collection.

Any shop that has tattooers tattooed by many, should endorse you getting tattooed by ANY...

As long as it's good solid work.... Go get it... Anywhere you find it....

Mr Bruce!!!! Awesome to see you here! We met at the Live Free or Die expo this past year, and I hope to get tattooed by you there next year.

Happy Holidays!

Rob Ieva

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure if I should start another thread but thought since this was another etiquette question it would be ok here.

So, the guy who did my blossoms, feet and then my peony last month moved. He just happened to be back for Christmas so I got the peony. We'd planned on making the trip down to see him when I'm off work for a week in March so I could continue w/my arms. They're short officers for two months starting this coming week so JD will be working a lot and we won't be able to squeeze in the trip. It's a 4.5 hour drive to get there. The shop where he was at is 1 hour away. We could do that. There are a couple other artists there. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Addictive-Tattoo/164321993593599?ref=br_tf We could probably swing Omaha or Des Moines too if need be.

I'd been talking to the guy who moved about where to go next w/my arm...would it be bad etiquette to have someone else do some of the flowers etc, or should I wait until he can get back up here again? My cherry blossoms for sure will wait b/c he started them and I want to add more on that side. But the right arm/shoulder/upper back is what I'm wondering about.

@iowagirl I think it's up to you. I mean, I'm not sure if he would be offended (doubt it), especially since he moved and it's not in the cards for you guys to travel. If you are antsy to get started on it and are OK with going to someone else, then go for it. But if you really want the original artist to finish it, then wait and get the tattoo you want. That's really all the advice I could give: get the tattoo you want. I know your question is really about etiquette, but I don't see an issue with having someone in the shop finish it. Especially if the original artist was cool with it.

Thanks HaydenRose!

I should probably just suck it up and message him and ask about it. I'd like to start by doing something to cover the arm band and then work my way up the arm. The blossoms I feel are "his"..he gave me the stencil so if I wanted any more I'd have it. The arm band is irritating me now since I have the new peony right above it so I really do want to get something done.

I messaged him and he gave me the name of a guy in Omaha-I looked him up and like his work so yay! My husband was dubious about it being proper to go somewhere else, so I'm glad I asked. The shop I'd been looking at down there, the recommended guy is actually from there, just in a different shop now, so I thought that was a funny coincidence!