Who made this tattoo?

beez

I love this tattoo, and it is one of the first large Japanese tattoos I was ever exposed to, and I would like to know who did it!

The woman is Shoko Tendo, a woman who wrote a memoir about being a yakuza boss's daughter. I have not read her book (I was searching for more info about the tattoo when I found her name and stuff), where perhaps she reveals this information, and I have only done a very cursory search and comparison of signatures to tattoo artists I already know.

So with that all said: does anyone have any info? Drop some knowledge on me!

I love this tattoo, and it is one of the first large Japanese tattoos I was ever exposed to, and I would like to know who did it!

The woman is Shoko Tendo, a woman who wrote a memoir about being a yakuza boss's daughter. I have not read her book (I was searching for more info about the tattoo when I found her name and stuff), where perhaps she reveals this information, and I have only done a very cursory search and comparison of signatures to tattoo artists I already know.

So with that all said: does anyone have any info? Drop some knowledge on me!

I've got that book, Yakuza Moon, lying around somewhere. I believe the artist is Horiedo. I'm not too sure of the spelling though. Her tattoos are pretty awesome. Have you ever seen photos of Junii's suit from Horitoshi? Woah! That one 's a jaw dropper too. But I'm sure you get to see her arms when you're at the shop so I'm guessing you already know that :-)

I've got that book' date=' Yakuza Moon, lying around somewhere. I believe the artist is Horiedo. I'm not too sure of the spelling though. Her tattoos are pretty awesome. Have you ever seen photos of Junii's suit from Horitoshi? Woah! That one 's a jaw dropper too.[/quote']

Thank you @Lance!!!

Is the book any good?

Actually, I had had Junii's tattoo in my 'tattoo inspiration' folder before I even knew who Junii or Horitoshi were! When I put Junii and the tattoo together it was a serendipitous moment. Her tattoos are sick!!

Ha ha @beez! Actually, I just bought the book because of the photos of her tattoos. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It's in my "to read" stack. Sad right? Absolutely. But I've heard it's good unless you're a yakuza-phile. It's about her life not details into yakuza underworld. So I've also heard wannabe yakuza romanticists are disappointed.

You're in good hands with Junii so you're doing it right!

Lance is correct on all fronts including the spelling of the artists name . I have the book too and I enjoyed it ' date=' it's available online for little expense and not hard to get through so I would recommend it .[/quote']

Thank you @kylegrey! I believe I will pick up the book; I've read some interviews and she is interesting and well spoken...and I love reading anything from people who have chosen the heavily tattooed path.

Someone I follow on tumblr recently posted a picture saying he thought it looked like Shoko Tendo's work, I disagreed and we have gotten into a very polite and amicable argument about it. Truly though, my eye is untrained and I may be missing quite a lot, but at first blush I do not think these are by the same artists or in the same family.

I think the dog might be my favorite part of the pic, hah!

Anyone recognize this tattoo? Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

@beez if you are on Instagram, look up @Tamakisakura

She has an AMAZING back piece from Horiyoshi 3. She's a tattoo model, does shibari, member of the Gomienoko Crew, and the main subject of the photo essay book Wanzakure.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I rarely use instagram, but it is good to have for times like these! And now I have new obsession. <tips hat> thank y' kindly, sir!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I rarely use instagram, but it is good to have for times like these! And now I have new obsession. <tips hat> thank y' kindly, sir!

She doesn't have too many pics, but there are pics of her with Horiyoshi 3, Ed Hardy and a handful of back shots which are AMAZING. The level of detail and the colors of her tattoos are just fantastic!

Found some pics of the book (love the Internet!):

59150957.jpg

59152097.jpg

wanzakure-0013.jpg

She doesn't have too many pics, but there are pics of her with Horiyoshi 3, Ed Hardy and a handful of back shots which are AMAZING. The level of detail and the colors of her tattoos are just fantastic!

Found some pics of the book (love the Internet!):

59150957.jpg

59152097.jpg

wanzakure-0013.jpg

That's a great book which shows progression from a sketch on her back to finished piece. I also like it because as far as I know, it's the only publication outside of Bushido that shows Taki's backpiece, albeit still in-progress. Even better since I added it to my library via the clearance section of Kinokuniya bookstore (suckers!) ;-)

On that note @beez, and anyone else visiting, you should check out that bookstore in Japan Town (SF not SJ's store). It's tattoo section is much better than Seattle's Kinokuniya. Also not really my thing these days, but if anyone is an anime/manga fan you'll drop dead of a heart attack.