Greetings from Long Island. Any input on my sleeve

Rorschach

Hey guys, new to this forum. Looking forward to becoming a member of this community. Currently have 4 small tattoos and looking to get my sleeves done. I fucked up getting my first two tattoos done getting really bland quotes which I now am working on covering up. I put more thought into my next two tattoos and I'm much more happy with them. In order not to make the same mistake a third time I come to you guys for advice if you are cool with that.

I wanted my sleeves to have something to do with the inkblot test. I was thinking of filling my entire arms in black and using the negative space to make some inkblots. Perhaps make inkblots using both the filled in areas as well as the negative space if possible. That probably will look weird, hard to really visualize it; I've never been the creative type. I know that asking the artist is always a good idea and I definitely will give him much creative freedom however just wanted to see if I could work on some preliminary ideas before going to him.

From quotes to the other extreme: inkblots! Definitely a pretty original idea, but the finished product might look exactly like that.. a bunch of blobby black that you may end up regretting as much as the original quotes. Tattoos don't need to be literal. That's why you can get a reaper and have it mean death or life or party time or nothing at all. If you're going for full arm coverage start checking out some large-scale work. LST is a great place to start.. Maybe start with a portrait of Rorschach himself if you're really into it. I mean, he's not an unattractive man: Hermann Rorschach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That probably will look weird, hard to really visualize it; I've never been the creative type. I know that asking the artist is always a good idea and I definitely will give him much creative freedom however just wanted to see if I could work on some preliminary ideas before going to him.

If you think it would probably look weird, then... I think blobs all over one's arms might end up looking more like a fucked up vitiligo than sleeves. Youre definitely on the right track wanting to give your artist creative freedom.

Tattoos don't need to be literal... If you're going for full arm coverage start checking out some large-scale work. LST is a great place to start

I think gougetheeyes is right, you could do some research to get some imagery, and looking at large scale work is a good starting place to stimulate some creativity and get some inspiration: just make sure you're not directly copying any tattoos you see.

From quotes to the other extreme: inkblots! Definitely a pretty original idea, but the finished product might look exactly like that.. a bunch of blobby black that you may end up regretting as much as the original quotes. Tattoos don't need to be literal. That's why you can get a reaper and have it mean death or life or party time or nothing at all. If you're going for full arm coverage start checking out some large-scale work. LST is a great place to start.. Maybe start with a portrait of Rorschach himself if you're really into it. I mean, he's not an unattractive man: Hermann Rorschach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or a Charles Maggio portrait?

I immediately thought of Kenji Alucky, Thomas Hooper, Roxx at 2Spirit, Dan Mattia, and other artists doing blackwork/dotwork, etc. (The aforementioned are names that popped into my head.) If you asked someone like that to do a Rorschach inspired tattoo, that might look super cool. In all honesty though, I'd start looking at a bunch of different artists/shops and see if an artists' style/work jives with your personal aesthetic, you can figure out the rest from there.

@Rorschach, I'm curious why Rorschach and why the inkblot? Psychology major/nerd, here... If you like the meaning of the ink blot, just be aware that the concept of a projection-based test did a lot for the field whereas the actual inkblot test is useless and was abandoned a long time ago. There are other projection tests still in use, but in general they have little validity in research/diagnosis. Get what you love and do whatever floats your boat, I guess I'm just not the kind of person who would get a whole sleeve based off of a flawed and over-hyped practice. Really not trying to be an ass, just playing a little devil's advocate.

I immediately thought of Kenji Alucky, Thomas Hooper, Roxx at 2Spirit, Dan Mattia, and other artists doing blackwork/dotwork, etc. (The aforementioned are names that popped into my head.) If you asked someone like that to do a Rorschach inspired tattoo, that might look super cool. In all honesty though, I'd start looking at a bunch of different artists/shops and see if an artists' style/work jives with your personal aesthetic, you can figure out the rest from there.

Will definitely go to Thomas Hooper. Really like his work.

2011 : 2501

Some of it reminds me a lot or Rorschach, while being a little less abstract. Might give you inspiration.

Good luck.

Awesome, thank you.

@Rorschach, I'm curious why Rorschach and why the inkblot? Psychology major/nerd, here... If you like the meaning of the ink blot, just be aware that the concept of a projection-based test did a lot for the field whereas the actual inkblot test is useless and was abandoned a long time ago. There are other projection tests still in use, but in general they have little validity in research/diagnosis. Get what you love and do whatever floats your boat, I guess I'm just not the kind of person who would get a whole sleeve based off of a flawed and over-hyped practice. Really not trying to be an ass, just playing a little devil's advocate.

tbh, I just like Watchmen and I think inkblots are a cool concept regardless of how well they serve their prupose.

• 2 weeks later...

psych major here too. and maybe u wanna get a piece of a full inkblot? a part you found interesting. one of the colored ones. i think that'd look pretty cool.

- - - Updated - - -

oh wow. that's gorgeous work

I wish you didn't post that. Now I'm fixated on getting tattooed by her but she isn't taking any appointments.... lol damn.

I wish you didn't post that. Now I'm fixated on getting tattooed by her but she isn't taking any appointments.... lol damn.

There are tons of fantastic tattooers in NYC and Long Island. I'm sure we can point you in the direction of some good ones. Here are some of the shops I have gotten tattoos at or like in general.

Invisible NYC ? Tattoo Studio in New York City

Saved Tattoo

Kings Avenue Tattoo | New York Tattoo Shops | Long Island & Manhattan

Thicker Than Water Tattoo NYC

I actually got my last tattoo at King's Avenue. I'm going to stick with them for the majority of my tattoos but Amanda Wachob's style is so unique and is pretty much perfect for what I'm going for.

which artist at kings ave did you last tattoo? please share