Hello World! Or in other words, titles and I are not friends.

thefifthrevolution

I'm Lilly, from the middle of nowhere in Canada. I'm getting a tattoo over Christmas; hopefully the first of many to come. :) I've been fascinated by tattoos since I was little and my uncle got his first one; a floral sleeve that I would stare at and poke whenever he came over.

As excited as I am, I'm having a little trouble deciding what to get. :/ I have picked out seven (4 which I'm thinking would be more generic, 'first' tattoos to make the plunge with) designs over the last 3 years and now that I'm legal to get one, I've just got to decide which to start with. They've all got special meaning and I'm hoping that all you lovely people could give me a little help deciding. (I've posted a couple pictures for some of the ideas).

1) 'I am both happy and sad and trying to figure out how that could be'. Either in braille or white ink although I can't decide between my ribcage or forearm. (left rib- right -arm).

2) Peter Pan flying with the Darling children on the inside bit of my right foot. In black ink or wild orchid.

3) wallflower white ink under left breast. typewriter font.

4) everything was beautiful and nothing hurt. black ink. typewriter font. No idea where to put this...I don't want it on my shoulder for sure nor on my calf.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome; I am super happy to be here!

Cheers,

L

Hello Lilly and welcome to LST. I'm curious about your idea of starting with something, as you put it, "generic" as your first tattoo because it sounds like you have grander tattoo plans. If you want something bigger and bolder, start by getting something like that. As for the ideas you have, I don't think they would make for good tattoos. White ink tends to age poorly, and if you're concerned about keeping your tattoos concealed--and I think this is a totally legitimate concern, especially because you're young and you don't know what your life is going to bring you--there's a lot of space that is easy to keep covered by clothing on your torso and upper thighs. The Peter Pan one could be done well, but you'd have to go a lot larger than the side of your foot. You could do a nice thigh piece of that. If you let us know where the middle of nowhere in Canada is, I'm sure we can recommend good artists near you.

I totally understand not knowing what you want. I strongly recommend that you do not get a tattoo unless you are 100 percent ready and know what you want. Starting with smaller tattoos and "planning" to get bigger tattoos later is a bad idea in my opinion. The reason is if you get a smaller tattoo on say your upper arm and decide later on you want a bigger sleeve that first tattoo may be in the way and limit the things you can do later on...

White ink I'll just say not a good idea ! I'm sure many people will tell you the same thing.

Having said all this I think you writing on this forum is kinda a waste of time. The reason is most people don't follow advice from other people from these forums . Like white ink tattoos I'm sure you will do it anyway and in a year or so you will understand what we where talking about. I wish you luck !!! HAHA!

Having said all this I think you writing on this forum is kinda a waste of time. The reason is most people don't follow advice from other people from these forums . Like white ink tattoos I'm sure you will do it anyway and in a year or so you will understand what we where talking about. I wish you luck !!! HAHA!

Is this kind of comment really necessary? LST should be a welcoming place for everybody who is genuinely interested in getting good tattoos, and I don't see any purpose in being a complete dickhead to somebody who comes here asking for a little bit of advice.

Hey Lilly,

From the idea's listed it sounds like you want to do something with words or text more than anything. From what I have seen placement and style will really determine how well it will read and look. There is no harm in getting opinions from others but make sure its what YOU want, not what someone else tells you looks cool. DO NOT RUSH THIS! Take your time and research artists and styles.

I agree with Graeme as well, while we all love tattoos having the option to conceal it might save you headaches in your future.

Also keep in mind the body is made up of curves so a font that looks good on paper might look funky once it is applied to a curved surface.

Peace,

Ken

Is this kind of comment really necessary? LST should be a welcoming place for everybody who is genuinely interested in getting good tattoos, and I don't see any purpose in being a complete dickhead to somebody who comes here asking for a little bit of advice.

Okay I guess I may have sounded that way. Anyone who knows me can tell you I'm not a dickhead haha.. Not that I really care if you do call me a dickhead but isn't that too being a dickhead?? LOL

Anyway I've seen much more nasty comments by others like on the black light tattoo forums. Why aren't you policing them?

I still stand by what I said coming on LST and asking for advice is good but most people don't follow any peoples advice . Call me what you want but it's true.