Preferred tebori styles

taaarro

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
So Horitoshi 1 is none other than Horitoshi 1. Recently I found a guy on Instagram who is Bunshin Horitoshi. Who is that guy? And how does he walk around with balls that size while calling himself that name?

I'm not sure I get what your talking about but I'll hazard a response. Yes there's Horitoshi I that we all know. There's also a Bunshin Horitoshi. 2 different artists and differing styles. I don't think it's a case of the latter trying to make himself being thought of as being THE Horitoshi. It's just a name. "Hori" being the usual prefix. The latter half usually being part of the person's name. In this case "Toshi". "Bunshin", may be something added to further identify that artist from others. Just a guess. A little different, but not unlike "Gifu" Horihide, "Asakusa" Horiyasu, "Yokohama" Horiken. In those instances, they've added locations as part of their names to distinguish themselves. I know there's also another Horiken in Japan. Also a Horizakura, other than the one from The Horitoshi Family too. There's actually 2 Horitakas in California come to think of it. One from State Of Grace and the other at Onizuka Tattoo, who's part of the Horitoshi Family. I don't think there's any disrespect in any of these cases. They're just names each is entitled to. It just happens that's the way each name played out and in this case one Horitoshi is perceived to be more well known than the other. It does not always make it easy on potential clients however when there are artists around with the same names.

@Lance, thanks for that response. I didn't realize that the naming was that common. I assumed that since you sort of pick your own name, it would be disrespectful to choose one that someone else already has chosen for themselves. I didn't know that the "Bunshin", or the first name in any of your examples, was really a significant qualifier.

So Horitoshi 1 is none other than Horitoshi 1. Recently I found a guy on Instagram who is Bunshin Horitoshi. Who is that guy? And how does he walk around with balls that size while calling himself that name?
I'm not sure I get what your talking about but I'll hazard a response. Yes there's Horitoshi I that we all know. There's also a Bunshin Horitoshi. 2 different artists and differing styles. I don't think it's a case of the latter trying to make himself being thought of as being THE Horitoshi. It's just a name. "Hori" being the usual prefix. The latter half usually being part of the person's name. In this case "Toshi". "Bunshin", may be something added to further identify that artist from others. Just a guess. A little different, but not unlike "Gifu" Horihide, "Asakusa" Horiyasu, "Yokohama" Horiken. In those instances, they've added locations as part of their names to distinguish themselves. I know there's also another Horiken in Japan. Also a Horizakura, other than the one from The Horitoshi Family too. There's actually 2 Horitakas in California come to think of it. One from State Of Grace and the other at Onizuka Tattoo, who's part of the Horitoshi Family. I don't think there's any disrespect in any of these cases. They're just names each is entitled to. It just happens that's the way each name played out and in this case one Horitoshi is perceived to be more well known than the other. It does not always make it easy on potential clients however when there are artists around with the same names.

Crystal Morey Talks Shop with Bunshin Horitoshi

More info for y'all :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So since moving over here to Melbourne I decided it would be cool to do a trip over to Japan and get my peacock sleeve finished off. I have always been really intrigued by tebori and figured this would be the perfect opportunity...

I'm still trying to figure out who I want to do it though as I'm super ignorant about artists in Japan, and have to confess to being pretty confused by the different families and titles with the tradition. As it is only gonna to be small scale imagine that many of the masters wouldn't be interested. I looked at ShunHo after @ironchef's recommendation and thought he could be a possibility? Any of you guys familiar with his work?

Thanks very much @Graeme, I dropped Horitoshi an email, as you say...no harm in trying! How did you find booking in with him @taaro? I kind of feel unworthy writing an email to someone of such stature within traditional Japanese tattooing, like asking if he'd be interested in doing a smaller tattoo might be perceived as disrespectful in some way. I'm probably just over thinking it

I find it super interesting looking at tattoos done using Tebori, they seem to settle into the skin slightly differently to tattoos applied with machine. I haven't seen any healed Tebori work in person though so its just speculation, but it almost looks to me like it heals slightly less bright but that the carbon in the black settles in a quite particular way?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I started here my reseaches for a tebori artist to get serious irezumi done on me, and tanks to this thread and you guys, I'm getting tattoed by Horitoshi 1 sensei since two years now

I had left this forum after the beginning of my japanese journey and went back few days ago, and saw that a lot of you may have some questions about the Horitoshi familly, how to get in touch, how is it like and so on. I feel I may be helpfull to some of you, and repay a bit of the help I found here, and the nice time I'm having now so... anyone, feel free to ask, if I can help, my pleasure.

Mata ne!

Hi Cork

No body suit, I started with a traditionnal sleeve ('till the middle of the forearm), with half chest panel ("Kantobori") style. I'll do the other sleeve after that, and if possible, a full back piece ("Kame-no-koh") later, hopfully from Horitoshi's hand, maybe from one of his disciples. I started on arms because, unless you live in Japan, a full back is a looong way to go. A friend of mine had one, lasted 8 years and so to complete, he travelled from France twice a year for two weeks each time... Gives you an idea. That's tebori. If you check Horitoshi 1 instagram, you will see a pic (4th right now) of a sitting guy, with a Brown-orange dragoon back piece, this is him. The two first pics are my arm, getting background completed these days.