Preferred tebori styles

taaarro

Wow just watched the documentary. It's very informative and interesting to hear Mr. Horitoshi's beliefs and stories and of course the tattooing is mindblowing but the video direction is unintentionally hilarious. If I was those two men, I would've been like, "you want me to do what in a fundoshi?"

Wow just watched the documentary. It's very informative and interesting to hear Mr. Horitoshi's beliefs and stories and of course the tattooing is mindblowing but the video direction is unintentionally hilarious. If I was those two men, I would've been like, "you want me to do what in a fundoshi?"

Now that the secret is out that you understand Japanese, you're going to have to translate the whole thing for us. Consider it your LST due diligence.

Now that the secret is out that you understand Japanese, you're going to have to translate the whole thing for us. Consider it your LST due diligence.

HAHA, you'd have to pay me to do the whole thing, but the discussion around 16:00 about successors is pretty interesting. He says that until three years ago, he had a successor (Horitoshi II) lined up, but that the successor did not abide the rules of the family and was expelled. Then, he had a Horitoshi III lined up, but that this potential successor had no intention of leading the family. So, he has decided that they will elect a Horitoshi III democratically between him and his three oldest "sons." The ideal successor, he says, has to be good at tattooing, but also a man of character. He has to be mild-mannered because he (Horitoshi I/the family) has various domestic and international relations to maintain, and dedicated to the family.

In another really interesting bit of the interview, at around 24:00, he says his "family" differs from other families in that his relationship with his "family" members is really one between father and son rather than master and apprentice. The apprentices start as such, but after spending some time apprenticing and being deemed worthy based on character, they become his sons. That is why they call him "Oyaji" (Pops) rather than "sensei." Despite this, in the most unfortunate case, he says, an apprentice/son left the family after six years.

Finally, towards the end, Horitoshi expresses his devotion to the preservation of tebori as a Japanese tradition. He says that ultimately, he is teaching his apprentices to maintain tradition. The Horitoshi Family, in Japan, he says, is the family most dedicated to tattooing as a Japanese tradition. Machines could be used for lining, but shading has to be done by hand to preserve tattooing as a Japanese art. He doesn't think tattooing will be accepted in Japan anytime soon, but maybe in fifty years, Japanese people will have a more "casual" attitude toward it.

@Cork Horitoshi I gave it to the man with the donburi suit as a "gift" when he finished his suit. It's a traditional Japanese motif that's supposed to bring good luck, but in this case, it's something Horitoshi puts only on people he really likes and he feels really understand his work. There are about 30 people in the world who have it. Both men in the video have it, and it makes them "like brothers" in a sense.

@Cork Horitoshi I gave it to the man with the donburi suit as a "gift" when he finished his suit. It's a traditional Japanese motif that's supposed to bring good luck, but in this case, it's something Horitoshi puts only on people he really likes and he feels really understand his work. There are about 30 people in the world who have it. Both men in the video have it, and it makes them "like brothers" in a sense.

Thank you taaarro. I kind of assumed that's what it meant, but it's nice to have it confirmed. I've seen a couple other peach pictures on his Instagram too, so I figured it was significant.

I maybe biased since i'm currently getting work done by him, but Horitomo is my favorite.

Im currently on vacation in Japan and the other day I saw Bill (wearing a Horitoshi I leather jacket) and Junii from Diamond Club in Kyoto.

I was in Osaka yesterday getting work done by Mutsuo at Three Tides and Horitomo was there hanging out.

NICE!!! What are you getting?

- - - Updated - - -

And what did you get from Mutsuo?

I have two half sleeves and chest panels from Horitomo. My right arm is a Haanya completed about 5 years ago and with a Fujin chest panel that was started 3 years ago. My left arm is a dragon and left chest panel is a Rajin. I have about 12-13 hours left. I dont live in the Bay Area any more so the piece is getting drawn out a bit longer.

I wanted a souvenir piece from Mutsuo so i got a Daruma. If anyone ever visits Osaka, ThreeTides is worth checking out. Mutsuo is definitely a great talent

I have two half sleeves and chest panels from Horitomo. My right arm is a Haanya completed about 5 years ago and with a Fujin chest panel that was started 3 years ago. My left arm is a dragon and left chest panel is a Rajin. I have about 12-13 hours left. I dont live in the Bay Area any more so the piece is getting drawn out a bit longer.

I wanted a souvenir piece from Mutsuo so i got a Daruma. If anyone ever visits Osaka, ThreeTides is worth checking out. Mutsuo is definitely a great talent

Hmm...did you get that Hannya done at the Reno convention? And do you live in NYC now? If so, I remember you.

The Horitoshi documentary is fantastic. I got it a few years ago on DVD. You can get it here:

LA VOIE DE L'ENCRE Lardux Boutique

In terms of which Traditional Japanese artists I like the most it's kind of like trying to pick your favorite sweet in a candy store. Obviously Horiyoshi III is very high but I feel that kind of goes without saying. Beyond him I love the work of Horiyasu. The black that he gets is so dark and smooth and the colors are incredibly vibrant to go with it. Horitoshi is obviously very good as well. I would also mention Horimasa from Isesaki. He did a phoenix on my lower right leg a couple of years ago at the Brighton Tattoo Convention. He worked incredibly quickly and produced an amazing piece. I am thinking about getting something else big from him in the future but that depends on time and money. This is the phoenix I got though.