Preferred tebori styles

taaarro

HAHA, you'd have to pay me to do the whole thing, but the discussion around 16:00 about successors is pretty interesting. He says that until three years ago, he had a successor (Horitoshi II) lined up, but that the successor did not abide the rules of the family and was expelled. Then, he had a Horitoshi III lined up, but that this potential successor had no intention of leading the family. So, he has decided that they will elect a Horitoshi III democratically between him and his three oldest "sons." The ideal successor, he says, has to be good at tattooing, but also a man of character. He has to be mild-mannered because he (Horitoshi I/the family) has various domestic and international relations to maintain, and dedicated to the family.

In another really interesting bit of the interview, at around 24:00, he says his "family" differs from other families in that his relationship with his "family" members is really one between father and son rather than master and apprentice. The apprentices start as such, but after spending some time apprenticing and being deemed worthy based on character, they become his sons. That is why they call him "Oyaji" (Pops) rather than "sensei." Despite this, in the most unfortunate case, he says, an apprentice/son left the family after six years.

Finally, towards the end, Horitoshi expresses his devotion to the preservation of tebori as a Japanese tradition. He says that ultimately, he is teaching his apprentices to maintain tradition. The Horitoshi Family, in Japan, he says, is the family most dedicated to tattooing as a Japanese tradition. Machines could be used for lining, but shading has to be done by hand to preserve tattooing as a Japanese art. He doesn't think tattooing will be accepted in Japan anytime soon, but maybe in fifty years, Japanese people will have a more "casual" attitude toward it.

When was this documentary made? I knew a tattooer in LA that was part of the Horitoshi Family in the mid 90's. And this story sounds familiar.

Slightly different topic, can anyone give the accurate name's for the different suits depicted here -

g6sl.jpg

Here's my stab at it. Let's start at the top row from left to right:

Gobu sleeves (five tenths) with hikae (chest plate), Shichibu sleeves (seven tenths) with hikae, classic munewari with gobu sleeves and thighs or basically a gobu munewari, next is a variation of the munewari with hanzubon (shorts) where the inner thigh is completely filled in with tattoo work, full body suit or donburi soushinbori with nagasode (long sleeves), the back piece diagram is kame no koh (turtle back) then the last suit is a shichibu munewari (seven tenths).

Gobu sleeves (five tenths) with hikae (chest plate), Shichibu sleeves (seven tenths) with hikae, classic munewari with gobu sleeves and thighs or basically a gobu munewari, next is a variation of the munewari with hanzubon (shorts) where the inner thigh is completely filled in with tattoo work, full body suit or donburi soushinbori with nagasode (long sleeves), the back piece diagram is kame no koh (turtle back) then the last suit is a shichibu munewari (seven tenths).

Give that man a prize!

Impressive :cool:

Thanks mate, that helps to do some google re"searching".

Are there anymore traditional placement / coverage not included here? Trying to know a bit more about this and how to organically grow vs just slapping things in a spot and forcing a cohesive suit.

Thanks mate, that helps to do some google re"searching".

Are there anymore traditional placement / coverage not included here? Trying to know a bit more about this and how to organically grow vs just slapping things in a spot and forcing a cohesive suit.

I might be wrong but I believe traditional style is to start with a back piece (turtle back) and kind of grow from there. Or plan out a munewari or full body suit unless you want work from different artists. I've kind of pieced my quasi-suit together.

That's probably what I will end up like, with a quasi suit... Starting a back piece in half a year or so, small coverup and going till butt. Also koi ok right back / side thigh will need to somehow be built in.

Anyway apologies for derailing this thread. Will continue on the more appropriate one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting a small tattoo done by Horizakura at the moment. I love how the bars interweave between the foreground and the background.

(Edit: I am not getting a tattoo with wind bars, yet.)

Hi Fala. Lucky you! I would love to get in touch with Horizakura (just love his style), but he doesn't seem to work in NY Adorned anymore... Could you plz indicate me how I can join him? TXs

@tavoz - He still works at NY Adorned, I suggest calling the shop and inquiring there.

Txs! This is great info. I had read somewhere on internet that he was no longer in Adorned, tattooing in his own studio, for choosen customers only... Can I ask you about your experience?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...