Stick some shrimp on the barby...

dharmakaya

Contrary to belief, that's not something that's heard very often here in Australia.

I live in Sydney and of Indian ethnicity (I felt this important due to skin type, coloured inks etc).

About me I turned the big 30 this year and it has been an eye opening year for me, very positive but also a time of reflections. I feel like I'm at some sort of a cross road in my life and somehow it has also triggered the urge to create an expression/extension of myself by putting a needle and ink to my skin.

Right from when I was about 16 I wanted a tattoo as some of the cool kids were getting one and a "Tattooist" showed up on the scene in my hometown. Obsessing with many images and symbols I ended up not getting any. As you can guess, time buried those images and honestly I'm glad I never did. I always knew I wanted one but never gave it much thought. In '06 the itch began again and I landed on a tibetan chant which I decided was what I would get. Sought out a relatively established artist in Melbourne and the cost was a bit prohibitive for me, I came off to say that I'd get to it at some point. If it interests you, the chant is "Om mani padme hum" and often tattooed - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/OM_MANI_PADME_HUM-bw.svg

Anyway to cut to the chase, a year later I was in thailand and I realised what an awesome tattoo culture they had there. So I was finally ready and still thought I'd go with my original idea. Somehow when I went in the store and chatted with the artist and looked around I chanced upon a scrap of paper with someone's practise drawing, of an oriental dragon head. Who knows what happened, I decided thats what I wanted and had that slapped on my back in under an hour.

That was 6 years ago, always knew I wanted to complete the dragon and every now and then looked up images on the internet. However I've had no work done since. The 2 attachments are of the day after the tattoo was done (closeup) and from last month (body shot).

Que 2013 and all of the changes and my personal state of of mind by august I was dealing with a lot of anxiety/turmoil of emotions and somehow I started actually digging a little deeper into the significance of Japanese tattoo and also discovered Irezumi and what the elements of Japanese tatooing meant.

I'm now more or less finalising a back piece and will be flying to Thailand in December. I paid the artist a visit in September to get a feel for the guy and the vibe.

Now in the last week I stumbled upon this forum on google - http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-advice/805-full-body-suit-people.html

Whats been the highlight on this forum was the Kore Flatmo interview - this dialogue totally blew me away. Leaving aside any of the tattoo related stuff, just his general approach to life and humility was such an eye opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpqwCuwGPtI

I'm now here as I have a few weeks left, I want to broaden my mind with peoples experiences, comments and criticisms! I'm excited but also a bit nervous, I will be opening up a lot of skin and I'm not sure how this will pan out as I plan on having 2 days of 5 hour sittings then taking a week off and having another sitting or 2. Thats the plan...for now atleast.

Come at me !

Welcome dude! Sounds like it's been a long road but glad you're here. When's the first appointment?

Glad to be here! Actually it has just been me drifting along, nothing ever took much effort up until now. I think my journey has just begun!

If things go according to plan, first sitting 18th Dec and then 19th Dec. A break and then 25th Dec.

Welcome...I hope to visit Thailand someday and get tattooed.I met this guy from Thailand in NYC last year,and he had a nice koi that he got done@ Mimp Tattoo ???????, Bangkok Tattoo,Thailand Tattoo,Japanese Tattoo He also told me this guy is good too. easytattoo

Are you getting it finished by the same artist.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The major cities in Thailand literally have tattoo dens every street. BKK/Pattaya and Phuket(Patong) probably have more tattoo businesses than supermarkets.

Some major districts like Khao san road in BKK have upto 25-30 stores. I got mine from a guy called Mr.Aob, he doesn't seem to be around at the store anymore, but this is the group he operated from - Eak tattoo - they have about 6 shop fronts within a block! KHAOSAN TATTOO : The Best Tattoo Studio on Khaosan road Bangkok Thailand

I have sought out another artist who decorated one of my friends and her boyfriend, so this is mostly who I will end up with.

I have lots of questions and opinions I want from you guys, I guess I will patiently wait to hit my 10 post threshold before I offload.

finally - why no comments on the existing piece? Do you love it hate it, think I'm an idiot ;)

finally - why no comments on the existing piece? Do you love it hate it, think I'm an idiot

When you wrote you chanced upon someone's practice drawing of an oriental dragon,and got it tattooed on you.I think that was the problem..I think you can get much better work than that.

Instagram works in Sydney and is from Thailand

Som Nakburin |

Som is also from Thailand.She could maybe give you more referrals to good tattooers in Thailand.

When you wrote you chanced upon someone's practice drawing of an oriental dragon,and got it tattooed on you.I think that was the problem..I think you can get much better work than that.

Valid point and I think I need to hear from others too.

Surely I can get better work than that and luckily I found you guys. Foremost on my mind right now is to actually get a coverup. I still want a dragon / tiger japanese themed piece. From a placement perspective the coverup is surely a much more practical move.

Somehow I'm holding on to some last bits of sentimental value for this piece.

Instagram works in Sydney and is from Thailand

Som Nakburin |

Som is also from Thailand.She could maybe give you more referrals to good tattooers in Thailand.

Thanks! Will pursue this

Valid point and I think I need to hear from others too.

Surely I can get better work than that and luckily I found you guys. Foremost on my mind right now is to actually get a coverup. I still want a dragon / tiger japanese themed piece. From a placement perspective the coverup is surely a much more practical move.

Somehow I'm holding on to some last bits of sentimental value for this piece.

Thanks! Will pursue this

I think the tattoo has merit. It's much better than most, if that helps. But IMO I would suggest a cover-up and backpiece... Definitely a backpiece :)

I think the tattoo has merit. It's much better than most, if that helps. But IMO I would suggest a cover-up and backpiece... Definitely a backpiece :)

Thanks Hayden! I did not want to hear that it's good. I can just ask random people at a bar and thy will be like "siiiiiiick bro" hehe.

Definitely I've liked my tattoo and wore it with pride(and that has helped). The winds of change are blowing and it's time for me to let go!

Would posting pics or linking to the intended artists website be a good idea for feedback or is that not the best way...

Thanks

Thanks JV.

One thing I want to add is the Dragon/Tiger theme is to depict yin/yang , opposing forces and male/female energy. This literally defines what I've been going through and theres some crazy connections and the universe "telling me" things if you believe that kind of stuff.

Simply put this is my way of tattooing a girls name on me but in a deeply meaningful and symbolic way. Her and I may not last but my tattoo will and nothing will take that away from me.

Question (it's a personal choice I know) -

For creating a back piece / placement wise I definitely think I need a cover up.

However who thinks reworking this piece can also be a worthy option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Hayden! I did not want to hear that it's good. I can just ask random people at a bar and thy will be like "siiiiiiick bro" hehe.

Definitely I've liked my tattoo and wore it with pride(and that has helped). The winds of change are blowing and it's time for me to let go!

Would posting pics or linking to the intended artists website be a good idea for feedback or is that not the best way...

Thanks

Post away! We would love to see who you're thinking of getting work done by. Some people on here may be able to recommend some artists in your area.

Living in Sydney I don't understand why you would travel to Thailand for a tattoo ? You could jump on a plane and in under three hours flying time get tattooed by a world class artist like Dean Sacred in Auckland N.Z. or in the other direction get yourself to Melbourne and the likes of Trevor McStay or Geordie Cole . Either are far shorter distances and I guarantee you will never again need a cover-up . Here's some links to ponder

Dean Sacred | Sacred Tattoo Shop

Geordie Cole

Trevor McStay | Dynamic Tattoo

Ponder is the right word... Thanks for keeping it real guys.

Joe has been shooting some awesome images my way and Deans work looks amazing too.

Current rates around here(Sydney) put me in the range of about $7.5-$9k. It shames me to have to say that money is an object when it comes to something so personal and permanent. I used the Honda civic vs Porsche analogy with someone and I know that's WRONG!

That being said this year I've been travelling outside Australia every month except march. Sometime I was gone up to 3 weeks. Most of the time is spent in Asia where I also have family. So flying to Thailand is not necessarily an additional cost.

I know I want to do this however I'm not sure can commission the best and at those prices. I may need a lifestyle change and wait another few years to get started if I chose to wait and go local.

Living in Sydney I don't understand why you would travel to Thailand for a tattoo ? You could jump on a plane and in under three hours flying time get tattooed by a world class artist like Dean Sacred in Auckland N.Z. or in the other direction get yourself to Melbourne and the likes of Trevor McStay or Geordie Cole . Either are far shorter distances and I guarantee you will never again need a cover-up . Here's some links to ponder

Dean Sacred | Sacred Tattoo Shop

Geordie Cole

Trevor McStay | Dynamic Tattoo

I am still new to getting tattoos, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd rather wait and save up for a tattoo from a top-notch person than get a tattoo because the price is right, especially with something like a backpiece. You are going to have it forever, might as well save up and wait for just the right tattoo artist vs getting something less than stellar from someone random.

Edited by Fala
clarity, conciseness

Yep or alex rusty cairns

There are so many great tattooers in Sydney just got to want to find them.

Yep Alex is great as well. I also really like Adam Kitamoto in Melbourne.

And yes you really do have to look hard to find some of the top artists.

Edit: almost forgot Rhys Gordon

Thanks for the links guys... Keep them coming.

I actually happened to check out lightening tattoo in September... Talked to Brett. Thats where Rusty operates too when i looked it up.All top artists there judging from the work.

Also Evan Griffith from Melbourne...loved the work (attached)

Committing to 8-9k for a back piece is something I need to come to terms with. Doesn't mean I expect to pay 2k and get a top job.. But there's a difference between 5k and 9k.

Apologies if this isn't the sort of talk expected here or offensive to artists, I definitely see why good work is costly due to the years in training, tools, materials and expertise / availability.

post-17665-14616886094_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the links guys... Keep them coming.

I actually happened to check out light house tattoo in September... Talked to Brett. Thats where Rusty operates too when i looked it up.All top artists there judging from the work.

Also Evan Griffith from Melbourne...loved the work (attached)

Committing to 8-9k for a back piece is something I need to come to terms with. Doesn't mean I expect to pay 2k and get a top job.. But there's a difference between 5k and 9k.

Apologies if this isn't the sort of talk expected here or offensive to artists, I definitely see why good work is costly due to the years in training, tools, materials and expertise / availability.

If theres anything I've learned, as I'm sure have many others on this forum, is that skimping on the price of a tattoo will ultimately get you something you regret. I know I'm telling you to suck eggs, but I just can't emphasise it enough. Save for another year if you need to, heck you might be on a waiting list for that long anyway.

I'd like to second the sentiment on avoiding skimping on the piece. I've got some tattoos I paid through the nose for, but I'm much happier that I did that than went for a cheapo.

Also, keep in mind that you won't be paying that all at once. You'll most likely have to wait to get your first session, then wait again for your second session, then again for your third, etc.