Stick some shrimp on the barby...

dharmakaya

I definitely see why good work is costly due to the years in training, tools, materials and expertise / availability.

I think good work is costly mostly because the artist can "afford" to be pricy. He has gone beyond the need to compete for customers through low prices. If you're not gonna pay a high price, someone else is already trying to get a spot, and will, gladly.

A high cost is usually a good sign and is very often in proportion with quality. People are aware of the internet and forums like these.

Stay the hell away from making a convenience-based choice, man! A backpiece cover up is pretty hard to cover up again.

I think good work is costly mostly because the artist can "afford" to be pricy. He has gone beyond the need to compete for customers through low prices. If you're not gonna pay a high price, someone else is already trying to get a spot, and will, gladly.

A high cost is usually a good sign and is very often in proportion with quality. People are aware of the internet and forums like these.

Stay the hell away from making a convenience-based choice, man! A backpiece cover up is pretty hard to cover up again.

Well, good tattoos are also worth it. I don't think most top-tier artists decide on their pricing as some sort of ego-stroke, but rather they have worked hard and deserve it. You ever get a raise at work? I've worked in bike shops for the last 6 or so years, and as my skills have gotten better and better I have (generally) been compensated appropriately (the bike industry is still incredibly undervalued in the US, but this is neither the time nor the place for me to go off on that tangent). As you then become in higher demand, you can raise your prices to adapt - it's fairly simple economics.

All that being said, an expensive tattoo is not good because it is expensive. And as has been mentioned on here before, a lot of the artists whose work we admire is not as prohibitively expensive as you might guess. If it's really worth it to you, save your pennies a little longer and go with who you think will execute the tattoo the way you want it. Everyone gets the tattoo they deserve...

/rant.

Well, good tattoos are also worth it. I don't think most top-tier artists decide on their pricing as some sort of ego-stroke, but rather they have worked hard and deserve it. You ever get a raise at work? I've worked in bike shops for the last 6 or so years, and as my skills have gotten better and better I have (generally) been compensated appropriately (the bike industry is still incredibly undervalued in the US, but this is neither the time nor the place for me to go off on that tangent). As you then become in higher demand, you can raise your prices to adapt - it's fairly simple economics.

All that being said, an expensive tattoo is not good because it is expensive. And as has been mentioned on here before, a lot of the artists whose work we admire is not as prohibitively expensive as you might guess. If it's really worth it to you, save your pennies a little longer and go with who you think will execute the tattoo the way you want it. Everyone gets the tattoo they deserve...

/rant.

Ego stroke? Sure, they're worth it, but that is the enabling factor that makes them, in the end, pricy.

The demand-supply principle here is simply the artist being aware that they supply a service, whose demand is beyond ready availability, hence the high price.

I think few artists would, in their ideal world, NOT charge high prices. Those who can, do so, because the quality of their work and the recognition they get enables them to do it.

Yup, I did get a raises at work. I also negotiated salaries based on the increasing quality of my background and the knowledge that my employer was aware of it. That doesn't change that I would've gladly enjoyed the salary I have now when I started out. I just knew I had to earn the trust.

Everyone does, for sure, get the tattoo they deserve.

I want to thank all of you for making me open my eyes and "suck eggs" as Amok put it. Also I just realised that whatever responses I made via the "Tapatalk" app have not seen the day of light....

So as an update, Joe Shit was in dialogue with me and cleverly influenced me without actually saying DONT DO IT. I've been pouring over some of the work from the links he and you guys provided on this thread. Some I relate to, some just look liked great art. But here's the thing... I started noticing certain tattoo's that capture an emotion. What I'm saying is I saw some amazing work and then I saw meaningful work.

I posted a pic earlier of this back piece by Evan Griffith it struck a chord. There's something there captured which seems to be what I'm looking for too. I'm not suggesting I want to replicate that... but I need to find someone who can capture the emotion for me.

Here's my question to you guys - how many of you sat down told your story and theme and had the artist come back with what you wanted? For me that back piece made me sit up in my chair and go "WTF.... are you kidding me?"

If theres anything I've learned, as I'm sure have many others on this forum, is that skimping on the price of a tattoo will ultimately get you something you regret. I know I'm telling you to suck eggs, but I just can't emphasise it enough. Save for another year if you need to, heck you might be on a waiting list for that long anyway.

True.

I'd like to second the sentiment on avoiding skimping on the piece. I've got some tattoos I paid through the nose for, but I'm much happier that I did that than went for a cheapo.

Also, keep in mind that you won't be paying that all at once. You'll most likely have to wait to get your first session, then wait again for your second session, then again for your third, etc.

Truer

Not much of a help here, but wanted to pop in and say that I'm excited to see this back piece come together. The dragon you have already is pretty cool, I'm interested to see what your artist s going to do with it.

Thanks. Undecided about keeping it really. In fact thanks to this lot here I'm most likely not getting anything on my back anytime soon...