Suggestion: A way for LST to save a little dough

As I was perusing the forum, I found myself in the Initiation section and made a comment on someone's thread about not posting a new thread just for the sake of showing off a new tattoo, mentioning that there would probably be hundreds of threads about new tattoos when we have one thread that has served the community perfectly well for that purpose. And then my brain got to thinking, "well, what would happen if there actually were hundreds of threads for basically the same function? probably would take up a ton of server space, and be really expensive to maintain."

And then upon going back into the Initiation forum, I noticed the 51 pages of threads. Now feel free to disregard this suggestion, but I think it would probably help with the site's expenses if every thread in that section of the forum were deleted after 60 days. Or perhaps deleted after 60 days of inactivity. Obviously, not every person who signs up here ends up sticking around. Which is fine! To me, it seems a little unnecessary to archive threads that say basically the same thing, by people who have already left and by people who have become active members. Also, with fewer threads to sort through, the ones actively present in the sub-forum reclaim their relevance.

Anyhow, just an idea. Thoughts?

As I was perusing the forum, I found myself in the Initiation section and made a comment on someone's thread about not posting a new thread just for the sake of showing off a new tattoo, mentioning that there would probably be hundreds of threads about new tattoos when we have one thread that has served the community perfectly well for that purpose. And then my brain got to thinking, "well, what would happen if there actually were hundreds of threads for basically the same function? probably would take up a ton of server space, and be really expensive to maintain."

And then upon going back into the Initiation forum, I noticed the 51 pages of threads. Now feel free to disregard this suggestion, but I think it would probably help with the site's expenses if every thread in that section of the forum were deleted after 60 days. Or perhaps deleted after 60 days of inactivity. Obviously, not every person who signs up here ends up sticking around. Which is fine! To me, it seems a little unnecessary to archive threads that say basically the same thing, by people who have already left and by people who have become active members. Also, with fewer threads to sort through, the ones actively present in the sub-forum reclaim their relevance.

Anyhow, just an idea. Thoughts?

Hey - thanks for the suggestion!

The overhead for having those threads is relatively nominal actually, so from a cost perspective, there isn't much of a motive to delete threads. We also don't want to mess with people's post count and what not. ;)

Anyways - thanks again for thinking of ways to improve the forum - we ALWAYS want to hear what you are thinking on that topic, so please keep the ideas coming!

Cheers