Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

Yeah, this is my skepticism of healing discussions on the internet; tattoos are finicky, our skin is finicky, they're just not all going to heal perfectly. C'est la vie and it's part of the medium. But if there was something really really wrong with it, you'd know!

But if there was something really really wrong with it, you'd know!

Agreed! I'll definitely know when something is really really wrong. Another positive note: I'm a big fan of blue cheese so I actually enjoy the smell of my leg right now! :p

I've had similar looking heals @BrianH , but not since I've been on the 'derm, and usually from the heavier handed artists. It looks pretty dry to me, but I would only be concerned if the redness spreads over the next few days.

Has anyone used both saniderm and tegaderm? I've only used Tega and if Saniderm is recommending that a lotion/cream can be used prior I'm a bit sceptical.

From my understanding and experience with it, a sterile environment is what you are trying to seal in, and the natural healing fluids (that would normally form scabbing?) produced by the wound prevent adhesion. IMO it's pretty hard to keep a cream/lotion sterile, at least to the level I believe the 'derm requires, I just use an antibacterial soap for the wash prior to application, then just lotion after the 'derm comes off.

So, forgive me if im wrong here, but im a little slow. The leaky blood and plasma actually helps with the -derm? In small amounts at least?

I ask because I normally hot press (press a really hot damp towel to the fresh tattoo when I get home from the appointment, which pulls out a lot of the excess plasma and gunk) so if I try the -derm, should i still hot press first, or would I be better off with a normal wash the first day, and then derm the next? And will I need to rewrap? I normally dont rewrap after a hot press

So, forgive me if im wrong here, but im a little slow. The leaky blood and plasma actually helps with the -derm? In small amounts at least?

I ask because I normally hot press (press a really hot damp towel to the fresh tattoo when I get home from the appointment, which pulls out a lot of the excess plasma and gunk) so if I try the -derm, should i still hot press first, or would I be better off with a normal wash the first day, and then derm the next? And will I need to rewrap? I normally dont rewrap after a hot press

Are you unsatisfied with how your tattoos are currently healing? If you are satisfied I would stick to your current method.

I am mostly, but it tends to be a pain in the ass for the first week or so. The last few tattoos have been at busier points in my life, so I've noticed the inconvenience a lot more.

I also tend to have dry skin, which means I usually baby them a bit more than im guessing the average person does.

So I guess im satisfied with the results, but not the process, if that makes sense. That's what appealed to me most about the -derm, the easyness of it.

@TrixieFaux & I are going camping like two days after I get my sleeve worked on by Seth Wood and I was thinking about trying this out so I can put it on and forget it. Has anybody actually used this to wrap a whole arm? Should I get a roll or individual strips -- and how is the mobility with it on? Like would I be able to put it on the elbow or no? Is there a preference between any of these brands? Looks like Saniderm is made especially for tattoos, which actually makes me more skeptical of it 'cause all that stuff kinda seems like snake oil to me...

@DJDeepFried 1st time i used derm products i wrapped up half my arm, including my elbow. it worked very well. but my 3rd and most recent experience using derm products has not been pleasant (rash and heavy scabbing). i don't recommend this stuff. stick to more traditional methods: dry healing, ointment, or washing and re-wrapping with regular plastic wrap every few hours.

• 3 weeks later...
Okie-Dokie y'all..especially @Bigboy67 @HettyKet and @Killercook76,

I just used the Tegaderm for the first time week before last. I was thrilled by the freedom it offered but TOTALLY traumatized by the removal.

I went a full 72 hours+, shower with hot water and soap, used the rolling motion, used the "pinch and pull", you name it. It took a solid 20-25 minutes. Is this normal. I mean, it was stressful and uncomfortable. It took 2 or 3 days for the area to not feel abraded and sore.

Is this usual? If I am just being a baby I can totally accept that…but I wasn't suppose to grip and rip, was I?

Hey all!

Just an update...I think I am definitely sensitive to the Tegaderm adhesive because I just healed a little one (after test stripping) with Saniderm and removal was total cake.

Also, I applied a moisturizer that had glycerine (which most non-petroleum moisturizers contain) with one of my test strips as the Saniderm instructions mentioned that it would increase adhesion...which it did.

Just throwin' it out there...

1) If someone doesn't have a great experience with one but still wants the freedom of a 'derm heal the other brand could be an option

2) If you use hippy body products (like me), be aware of the potential of increasing adhesion

3) Hubbs and I have also noticed that 'derm healing and sweating/being hot do not mix...end result - heat rash.

I wonder if those of you who have mentioned rashing are also getting heat rash. Anyhooo...

So the Tegaderm experiment was inconclusive at best. Kind of a pain in the ass to put on -- though I bet I could do it perfectly now it being my first time and all.

My plan was to set it and forget it while we went camping this weekend. Didn't quite work out that way. Plenty of seepage and weepage that first night. By the second my shoulder really hurt where he had packed in a lot of black and I started to get paranoid that it was getting infected. Morning of the third day I stripped it off in the shower and that was no fun.

In all I don't think it hurt my tattoo but it certainly didn't help. My overall impression is that it put it into arrested development and didn't really start healing until I took it off. Might just stick to aquafor the next time around.

So I've now used it on 3 of my 4 recent tattoos and the 1 didn't use it on was the only one that gave me trouble. It might be a coincidence but the fact that it made the first few days much easier is enough reason for me to keep using it. I didn't have to worry about pet hair or sheets sticking to it and was just over all more comfortable.

Used Tegaderm 5 times, all went very well, no scabbing at all. Currently using Tegaderm for the 6th time. Tattoo is on my shoulder extending down to my elbow.

This time I had a little fluid build up. Decided to peel back a small section at the bottom to let the extra fluid drain. I pushed the fluid to this drain spot. I left plenty of area around the tattoo so the small section that is peeled up is not covering any tattoo. It is going well so far after 3 days. I usually remove on day 5.

Welp, I've given the 'derm the ol college try now and I'm on the fence.

First, it's no miracle cure. Healing a tattoo still seems to be healing a tattoo no matter how you slice it, no way around it despite what these products seem to infer.

Overall, in my experience, the tattoo heals no better or worse than it would normally, but it sure is convenient to 'set-it and forget it'. I have an active job that requires a lot of travel and it's great not having to think about the new tattoo too much. But, I've also had some mega-heat rash as a result...

I think informed decision is best so here's my documentation from a few 'dermed tattoos. Decide for yourself:

1) Moderate sized Forearm tattoo lines/shading:

Session Length: About 2.5hrs

Applied derm next morning after tattoo. Left on for 3 days and removed. Easy heal.

2) Forearm tattoo colour (same tattoo as above):

Session Length: about 90mins

Applied next morning. Left on for 3 days and removed. Got some moderate heat rash, mostly on the non-tattooed skin. Heat rash took longer to settle than the tattoo itself. Tattooed healed great, bright etc.

3) Massive Shin Tattoo -

6-7 hour session.

As per artist's instructions, wrapped in derm immediately following session, left on for 24hrs (there was a LOT of fluid on this one....pretty gross/awesome). Removed and re-applied (which sucked), left on for 5 days (also as per artist's instructions). Lots more fluid. Started getting super itchy on the 5th day...turned out to be MASSIVE HEAT RASH. Tattoo healed very slowly with a few pretty impressive scabs, but I think it would have anyway (lower leg tattoos and all that). Heat rash took a long time to subside.

4) Big Rib piece final colour/touch-up session:

5 Hours

Applied derm 24hrs after session ended (wanted to avoid massive pooling...). Left on for 2 1/2 days....started feeling like heart rash was a-comin' so I took it off immediately. Tattoo healed great, no heat rash.

5) Small Buddy Tattoo on thigh:

Less than an hour

Applied derm the next day. Left it on for 3 days. Healed great, but it was a baby-tattoo and I don't think I could've damaged it with anything less than a brillo-pad. No heat rash.

So, a few personal conclusions from using this stuff:

1) It's super convenient, which with my work schedule often wins out over some of the drawbacks

2) Don't sweat in this shit. Looking at the times I got heat-rash, the common denominator was when I couldn't avoid getting sweaty with the 'derm applied.

3) Taking it off is never pleasant. You'll live, but it feels like shit pulling something sticky off of healing skin.

4) Saran-wrap and medical tape is a lot cheaper/easier to find

As I said, I'm on the fence. If I have a few days to heal up before having to travel, I think I'll prefer to heal without it. If I know I've gotta split town immediately after the session, I'll probably use some of the sticky-stuff and try to keep cool.

Just popping in... Got another 7 hours on my owl coverup piece yesterday.

Fresh and clean next morning

post-17122-146168867127_thumb.jpg

Wrapped up

post-17122-146168867133_thumb.jpg

Ended up using two 8x12 Tegaderm sheets to cover. For all the cost nazis out there, yes that means I spent a whole 8 dollars to heal my (to this point... in progress) 2500 dollar tattoo.

Will leave on 3-4 days and then resume lotioning after I remove. Will post healed pics as well

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using Saniderm on the large rose I got on my lower leg 2 days ago. I'm not feeling the excruciating pain my calf kitsune lead me to expect from leg tattoos. Yesterday I felt some pain when I stood up, but not to the same degree. Today, the pain isn't there, only some tingling. I think this is because the Saniderm prevents scabs from forming, and the scab is the major source of the pain. Usually I forget the tattoo is even there. I'll update as it heals more.

I'm going to go through my whole process. This is what my tattoo looked like immediately after got home, about an hour after I got the tattoo. As I was instructed I took off the plastic wrap, and washed it with a tiny amount of soap while gently massaging it. I used very hot water to kill germs and wash off as much stuff as possible. Then I used a tiny bit of aquaphor and re-wrapped it in ordinary plastic wrap.

The next morning I was thinking about the how much my last tattoo scabbed, how much it hurt to stand up, and how I have heard red can take months to heal completely. I decided the Saniderm I bought was worth trying. I washed the tattoo with soap again while massaging it, and I thoroughly rinsed it in very cold water to reduce swelling as much as possible before applying the bandage. I applied the Saniderm. My tattoo dripped a lot and a lot of liquid collected under the Saniderm. The next day I peeled it off, washed my leg again, and applied another sheet of Saniderm. As I said before, I believe this was responsible for a huge reduction in pain and swelling. This morning I felt some tingling when I stood up to get out of bed, but there's no pain at all, and no swelling.

It's been about 4 days since I got the tattoo. I took a long walk this morning and my tattoo started to itch. I decided it was probably due to sweat collecting under the bandage so I removed it, and took the photos that I'm attaching to this post. I have a photo of my leg before taking off the bandage, immediately after, and what it looks like after I used Aquaphor. Now that my skin is bare there is no itching. When I took it off some skin and ink came off with it, but nothing major.

I washed the tattoo without soap and put some Aquaphor on it to prevent the next application of Saniderm from sticking too much, as the Saniderm website recommends. Other than the dead skin that still needs to peel off, my tattoo seems practically healed to my eyes, but I'm going to apply another piece of Saniderm when I'm done with this post to be on the safe side. So far this is going really well and I'll probably use a product like Saniderm on any future tattoos I get.

I had my fingers done around 7:00 Thursday night. I'm using Saniderm on them, by midnight the swelling was completely gone and they were no longer red anymore either. I changed the wrap friday night around 9:00, since that was when we had applied the first set. So far so good. because it's my fingers, the edges have curled up a bit from use but they are overall doing fantastic. They aren't sore, I can tattoo normally, it's fantastic. I'm in love with Saniderm. The other thing I noticed when I changed them was that some of the lines looked healed already, it tripped me out. I'll keep you updated on the healing process and post a picture when I take the saniderm off :)

~Candace

American Tattoo Studio

The scab I was complaining about fell off yesterday, and there's no damage to the tattoo. Itchiness is 90% gone. The tattoo is 12 days old and it looks great, although I only have one other tattoo so I don't have much to compare it to quality wise, this one was definitely less of a hassle to heal because of Saniderm. I'll take more photos in a couple weeks when the onion skin is gone.

Hey everyone. Trying out saniderm for the first time! I have to wear tights and a uniform for my job, and the thought of trying to heal a thigh/lower hip tattoo underneath that made me want to cry. Especially since I had a super shitty time healing my last sleeve. So I'm giving this a shot. Today I was able to wear clothes and not become glued to them, and aside from an initial leak last night before I put a new wrap on this morning, there have been no leaks. I'm just following the instructions on the saniderm website, and so far so good! Here are a couple photos. First one is this morning, first wrap 14 hours after my tattoo was finished. Then second photo was after I washed it and put on a new bandage.

It's a bit swollen now, and leaking still a little, but I'll post another photo tomorrow.

Hey guys, Still loving this stuff. I cannot believe how awesome it is to not hate wearing clothes after a leg tattoo. I am working friday-sunday morning and wear a uniform for work so I was planning to take it off Sunday morning when I got home. That would make it a week since my tattoo (i had it done last sunday), and 6 days of wearing this wrap (I wore one right away, and then washed and re applied a new wrap the next day- monday morning). It should be ok to wait until then right? Does anyone else have experience leaving it wrapped for 6 days? I don't want to take it off before then as I wear stockings and a skirt for work and loathe the thought of wearing that on top of exposed freshly healing tattooed skin.