Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

I can see how people that need to be a dirty environment would really benefit from using a product like this, and maybe if my tattoo were smaller or in more of a flat spot I would have liked it better.

Yeah, even though I had good luck using it and thinking it was pretty great, I'd like to use it a few more times.... I could see how using it on an area that bends or moves a ton, or even where you may sweat more, could be annoying. My elbow may be the "true" test....

My next couple sessions will be done while travelling and not having the comforts of home so, I'm relying heavily on it's positive aspects I've already experienced.

Yeah, even though I had good luck using it and thinking it was pretty great, I'd like to use it a few more times.... I could see how using it on an area that bends or moves a ton, or even where you may sweat more, could be annoying. My elbow may be the "true" test....

My next couple sessions will be done while travelling and not having the comforts of home so, I'm relying heavily on it's positive aspects I've already experienced.

My next inner bicep appointment in a few weeks I am giving it a go. Im heading right out to a camping trip, and this seems like the best way to go. It may be a bit uncomfortable hitting my armpit but we shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have read through some of this thread and will admit I haven't made it through 36 pages worth. But I just got some tatuderm after getting work done on Monday. I really enjoy it that it breathes and is flexible but I was curious, when people peal it off, does it seem to grab on the tattoo at all? The first day my artist placed a little aquafor underneath and I didn't have am issue, when I replaced it I went off the instructions and it says not too so I didn't. I went to remove it to clean it about a day and a half later and it adhered to the tattoo as well. Has anyone else had this experience? And if so, what was done?

• 2 weeks later...
So I have read through some of this thread and will admit I haven't made it through 36 pages worth. But I just got some tatuderm after getting work done on Monday. I really enjoy it that it breathes and is flexible but I was curious, when people peal it off, does it seem to grab on the tattoo at all? The first day my artist placed a little aquafor underneath and I didn't have am issue, when I replaced it I went off the instructions and it says not too so I didn't. I went to remove it to clean it about a day and a half later and it adhered to the tattoo as well. Has anyone else had this experience? And if so, what was done?

I am curios about this too sense I just got my order of saniderm in yesterday...

I am going to use it on my foot piece.

What do you do with Tegaderm that comes in smaller squares if you want to cover a bigger piece?
I am curios about this too sense I just got my order of saniderm in yesterday...

I am going to use it on my foot piece.

I had a large rib cage piece done and we covered it with the squares,just make sure sheets get overlapped by an inch or so.

I have used Saniderm on several tattoos now,I love it BTW,

I put the Saniderm on dry clean skin,no lotion or aquaphor or anything under it,

and it might hurt a little peeling it off,but it does not remove or damage the tattoo,

as a matter of fact after about 4 days of having it on the tattoo,the tattoo is beautifully healed !

==================================================

here is my healing system

1)plastic wrap(saran wrap) for the first 4 hours,then wash with anti-microbial soap(washing hard with palm of my hand in shower)

2)remove wrap(saran wrap) and re-apply plastic(saran wrap) for 4 more hours then wash with anti-microbial soap and apply light cocoa butter,

3)remove wrap(saran wrap) wash with anti-microbial soap and light cocoa butter then re-apply plastic wrap(saran wrap) for first night ,

4) next morning wash with anti-microbial soap and then apply Saniderm on dry skin for about 4 days,

remove saniderm ,healed,maybe just the normal itch.

this works for me anywhere on my body that I get tattoos.

I just used this stuff again on 2 more pieces and I'm still pretty in love with it.

I had my inner bicep, from elbow to arm pit done. I made sure to have the scraggly hair in/around my arm pit shaved. Placed the -derm partially into my arm pit and around the area where my upper bicep meets my arm pit. The stuff is so flexible, it didn't inhibit any movement and was super comfy.

I also had the outside lower leg/ankle area done and same thing, -derm placed on my foot/ankle ditch with no problems. ...again super flexible. My method was similar to @Dan except for step 2, I used a small amount of auqaphor.

The coolest thing about the -derm for me is, it greatly desenitizes the areas it covers. Instead of having that freshly injured, raw nerve feeling, it makes it feel dull and easy to deal with. I've never been able to sleep directly on a fresh tattoo for 3-4 days until I tried this stuff. The only small downside I've experienced with the -derm is taking it off. Patience is the key here and it has to be done S L O W L Y. I can't stress that enough!! If it's applied to a spot that you can't easily reach, you'll need some to help you.

The 4 times I used it, it was removed to reveal an almost healed tattoo with ZERO scabs. The latest 2 (inner bicep/ ankle) didn't even peel. Most people I know who have/get tattoos are astonished how -derm healed work looks after 4-6 days...like "WOAH..you just got that?"

• 2 weeks later...

I got to use tegaderm for the first time to heal the harpy on my thigh. I told @cltattooing I would let her know what I thought, so I might as well put my experience in here.

I think having it on for the first few days was amazingly convenient. I slept better, I showered/dressed more easily...it just made everything easier, really, and I felt that it was more protected than it would have been the usual way I do things (wrap/nostick pads on overnight, hot shower and thorough rinse in the morning, then just dry healing with occasional washes every day over the next several days).

I think there was a tipping point in there somewhere for me, though, where it didn't actually offer any more benefits to keep on, and may have contributed to everything feeling a bit weird after I took it off on day 5 -- probably around the time the skin started to reabsorb the small amount of inky liquid in there. Next time, I'd probably want to take it off around that point, since I think it might be the sweet spot to hit. I have a feeling the tattoo was past the point where it would scab by then, and it might have felt better/less 'suffocated' with the tegaderm off at that point.

I didn't have any trouble taking the film off in the shower (just very very slooooowly), but the tattoo just felt weird for a few days. A little swollen and, I dunno, sticky? Tacky? With a weird haze over it. (Mind you, this is my only all-black tattoo, so I guess that could be part of it).

Still, it was undeniably great not to have to worry about getting ink on hotel sheets/my own clothes or spend a night feeling uncomfortable with saran wrap and bandaging on. Definitely made the drive back home easier, too.

@sophistre you definitely hit the sweet spot...I left it on one of mine for too long and the tattoo got unbearably itchy and dry underneath, like it wanted to peel but couldn't. No harm done, but extra awful to remove. Now I try to take it off when there's still a little moisture under the bandage.

Hi guys. Im starting a chest piece in august. This will be in greece. Im living in holland so airplane and hotel etc. I was thinking of using this to make the flight back home easier.

I still have a few questions. 4 days later im starting my internship at a carpentry maker. This will involve some physical work. Will I be allright with this product? I've read the thread that you shouldnt be sweating as the film might come lose.

Ps, how did you guys do it when getting a tattoo abroad? stayed one day after you got the tattoo and then headed back home?

@rufio This will be your first tattoo, correct? Let your tattooer know that you'll be travelling and starting a job involving physical work and ask if he or she has any special advice for healing concerning that but otherwise follow your tattooers aftercare instructions EXACTLY.

@rufio This will be your first tattoo, correct? Let your tattooer know that you'll be travelling and starting a job involving physical work and ask if he or she has any special advice for healing concerning that but otherwise follow your tattooers aftercare instructions EXACTLY.

I'm sorry sir, please dont hurt me ;). Yes this will be my first. I will follow yours and the tattoo artist's advice.

Just reading all these storys in this thread about how comfortable it is.

@rufio I've traveled for sessions on my chest, once where I flew home right after the session and once where I flew out the next morning. I wasn't too terribly uncomfortable on the plane either time but I think healing was a little smoother when I went straight home and got to wash up in my own home.

I work a job with extremely variable amounts of physicality and sometimes during healing I did work up quite a sweat but everything worked out pretty well. My one experience with tegaderm (may be a few pages back in this thread) I ended up sweating so much the stuff just peeled off on that first day.

Personally, i really prefer Tegaderm on body parts that have no movement, or get exposed to the elements. I think the chest would be kind of pointless, as it should be covered with a shirt anyway, and would be tough IMO to get a good comfortable cover with the -derm.

Never travelled for my chest, but I caught a flight the day after i got my elbow ditch tattooed and it wasn't too terrible.

Hi guys. Im starting a chest piece in august. This will be in greece. Im living in holland so airplane and hotel etc. I was thinking of using this to make the flight back home easier.

I still have a few questions. 4 days later im starting my internship at a carpentry maker. This will involve some physical work. Will I be allright with this product? I've read the thread that you shouldnt be sweating as the film might come lose.

Ps, how did you guys do it when getting a tattoo abroad? stayed one day after you got the tattoo and then headed back home?

I've already gushed enough about the benefits of the -derm. I recently traveled and had my chest tattooed. 12 hours after the tattoo,removed the bandage, washed, air dried and applied the -derm. I was slightly concerned about putting on such a large amount across a huge area, as I'd never used that much before. I applied it excessively, meaning a lot farther from the edges of the tattoo, more than I'd done previously. My thought was- I tend to sweat on and around my chest and I didn't want to keep applying small patches on the edges to keep it on. 2 full days of walking around sightseeing etc in kinda warm, sunny weather (around 80 degrees) and the stuff worked perfectly. Drove home for 5 hours with a seat belt across my chest with little to no discomfort.....

Depending on how big/packed with color the work you get is, there will always be some fluid build up under the -derm. I've mostly found this is just your bodies "healing juices" and is pretty normal. I've had some work not have any pooling fluid at all though. Here are a couple shots of my latest work after 4 days with the -derm on.

post-53847-14616888183_thumb.jpg

post-53847-14616888184_thumb.jpg

I feel like my chest had slightly more fluid as some of it may have been sweat, but I'm not sure. Those images are about 6 hours before I removed the -derm. Once remove, both looked great and felt the same. On my chest, the skin high up on my shoulders (away from the tattoo) was kinda red and tender for 3-4 hours after, but no other problems. Both of the tattoos had a few smaller, thinner scabs, but nothing like if I didn't use the -derm.

This stuff is game changing for me, as my skin certainly doesn't heal like It did 25 years ago. Every tattoo artist I've talked to, especially the "older" guys, say this stuff is great!