Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

A little tip when you go peel off the backing to apply. Peel off the small window first, then peel off the large backing on the other side.... If you try to do the other way around you will be screwed (it'll make sense when you try this)

ive used this kind of product on clients in the past but they complained about not being able to get it off so easily. other than that i was happy with it but the complaints won out. i think about revisiting using it a bunch though

Well I kinda agree but you have to peel it off slowly under warm/hot water with some soap. If you do it the dry way .. ouch! Also make sure you leave it on at least for a couple of days!

I may have stuck on the Tegaderm a little too early. Looks like I love got a little plasma/ink build up under the wrap, just on the little ant

@Killercook76 - think I should peel the Tegaderm on this little addition tattoo, wash, and re-do? Or just let it marinate? :)

[ATTACH]9738[/ATTACH]

No I wouldn't take it off!! I always bleed ink under the tegaderm a little . Just keep it on !

- - - Updated - - -

No I wouldn't take it off!! I always bleed ink under the tegaderm a little . Just keep it on !

Also when taking it off after 3 days do it under warm water and some soap!

I figure this will at lest be a good test run . The big boy looks pretty free of plasma/ink build up under the Tegaderm, and the ant has a fair amount if plasma/ink build up. I'll see which heals better or if there is any difference at all.

Either way you will be fine! Just don't take it off for 3 days. Plasma and ink is totally normal ! I just put it on a day after because there is less of it then.

Yeah, some plasma build up is normal on a lot of sorts of wounds when using whatever-derm. It's just your body creating a blister under the (fake) skin, as is its wont. Blisters allow plasma to do its thing effectively rather than wasting effort working on building a scab or fine layer of skin to heal under.

The only time it'd be A Good Idea to take the -derm off early is if any fluid leaks from under the edges of the dressing, that'd be a breach in the sterile environment underneath so you'd need to wash and redress the tattoo. Can only happen if you don't leave enough of a margin of uninjured skin under the -derm product though so it's easily avoided.

Oh no, no need to change that. Well worth adding a patch to the edge if you think it might leak out a particular place but it doesn't really look like there's much fluid there at all.

If the sterile environment under the -derm is breached, and only then, should you ever change early. Otherwise it's just a pointless disruption to the healing process. It's designed to be left on for up to a week in a clinical setting - 3 days is the minimum.

(Oh, should have said that although I'm only recently using it on my tattoos I've used it a lot at work over the years)

if you get plasma build up, you can also pop a hole in the tegaderm and use a paper towel to soak up the excess plasma and then put a small piece over the hole. the pooling is another reason why you should wait until the next day to apply the tegaderm (i learned this the hard way on my jess yen and shige pieces)

Well, i suppose the theoretical risk of introducing bacteria would be slim if you used a sterile needle, cleaned the dressing with alcohol before hand and didn't allow anything to touch the vent.

It still seems inadvisable to me, it's a breach of the sterile environment even if the equipment used is sterile its self - the plasma build up has a function in healing and it cushions the tattoo as well. Our bodies know what they're doing and it's best not to interfere, if at all possible. IME the plasma is generally (almost) totally reabsorbed as the skin heals anyway.

I doubt anyone would advocate popping and resealing a natural blister that had formed over, say, a burn...

pooling is another reason why you should wait until the next day to apply the tegaderm (i learned this the hard way on my jess yen and shige pieces)

@MoistTowelette I waited a full 10 hours. Think I should wait something closer to 16+ next time around?

It's really not that big of a pain, if the running plasma/ink bubble gets too close to the edge if the bandage I will just slap another sheet to extend it down, no biggy

My wife just said, but honey aren't you worried about that ink build up under the bandage staining the other parts of your skin? I love her, but she hasn't picked up anything being married to a tattooed person, haha.

Hmm, surely waiting for long periods is kind of counter productive if you're wanting to use -derm products. It's certainly not normal practice where -derm is used in a medical setting, in fact it's not something I've ever come across.

As I understand it the first 24-48 hours are the most crucial in getting a good heal on a tattoo. The more often one washes and re-wraps before applying the -derm the more the skin is irritated and the more the healing is disturbed and slowed. It's not just excess ink, plasma and bacteria that are being washed away it newly formed cells too.

I wash well after 3-4 hours and apply the -derm on well air dried skin. No cream. No extra washes and re-wraps. After 3x 24 hours I removed the -derm, wash well, air dry and re-apply. Removing on day 6 or 7 as I see the skin going flakey under the dressing. Tattoo healed, first peel done.

if you get plasma build up, you can also pop a hole in the tegaderm and use a paper towel to soak up the excess plasma and then put a small piece over the hole. the pooling is another reason why you should wait until the next day to apply the tegaderm (i learned this the hard way on my jess yen and shige pieces)

I have found that the pieces with color have more buildup than all black ones do.my Jess & Sam shaw pieces did'nt have any buildup ,but my gibson piece did it a lot.

for those 3 pieces I put the saniderm on within minutes of getting the tattoo.

this last time I had it on for a little longer than two days. It's healing actually the same maybe even slightly better than 3 days. I guess it all depends..

I would be afraid to leave it on until it starts peeling.. only because when i take it off it might prematurely get stuck to some peeling/scabs that aren't ready to come out.

Yes, exactly. My skin is unusually prone to cracking when freshly healed though (whatever the wound), even if I use enough moisturizing agent and the like to give myself spots on the uninjured skin. Don't dare risk that with a tattoo. I've never had (or seen) scabbing under -derm, only thin, thin peels.

In a clinical environment it's most unusual to -derm skin for less than 5 days, it's designed to be used for up to 7 days before changing. TBH I only change on day 3 'cause I want a better view of my tattoo. Would probably heal more quickly if I didn.t.

this last time I had it on for a little longer than two days. It's healing actually the same maybe even slightly better than 3 days. I guess it all depends..

I would be afraid to leave it on until it starts peeling.. only because when i take it off it might prematurely get stuck to some peeling/scabs that aren't ready to come out.

on my rt knee I left it on for 4 days,and it was practically healed and turned out perfect,that one is all black,IMO that makes a difference,all of my all black pieces have healed faster than the colored ones.

we are all different though,as far as our skin & healing.

on my rt knee I left it on for 4 days,and it was practically healed and turned out perfect,that one is all black,IMO that makes a difference,all of my all black pieces have healed faster than the colored ones.

we are all different though,as far as our skin & healing.

Yeah having it on for two days actually healing better than three.

@Killercook76 or anyone else who's used this stuff....I ordered some last night after reading this thread.

You've mentioned that it makes it more comfortable with less scratching or chaffing.

How does it move on places like elbows and knees? Should I apply it with arm extended or elbow bent?

I have a very active job and I will be having my second session on my dominant arm this Saturday and was hoping it will help with the chaffing and rubbing of my shirt and banging in hard metal and sharp object on my elbow and the inner forearm.

Lastly, based on the amazing Tiger tattoo, you apply the derm directly over the fresh tattoo overlapping and extending about 1inch outside the tattoo. The adhesive being applied directly to the fresh ink does not effect the healing process at all? I imagine that it hurts a ton more on the fresh tattoo than a healed spot when removing?

@TigerBlue77 this stuff is really flexible, kind of feels a little rubbery to the touch. And it gives great protection against things rubbing against the tattoos. I have two little kids and normally after i get work I have to stay away. This time with Tegaderm I've been playing with them all day, things can bump or rub the tattoo without discomfort