Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

So I followed the instructions on the back of my saniderm and unwrapped my first wrap about 16 hours after, but when it came off it's almost like it's blistered my skin around the edge of the wrap, has anybody else had this problem? Or at least heard of this happening I have pretty sensitive skin and had presumed this would solve all my healing problems

So I followed the instructions on the back of my saniderm and unwrapped my first wrap about 16 hours after, but when it came off it's almost like it's blistered my skin around the edge of the wrap, has anybody else had this problem? Or at least heard of this happening I have pretty sensitive skin and had presumed this would solve all my healing problems

I've had this happen in areas where the edge of the derm lays in a very mobile patch of skin IE crease of the elbow/ditch and armpit. I'd try to position the derm edges to avoid these areas when possible.

I've had this happen in areas where the edge of the derm lays in a very mobile patch of skin IE crease of the elbow/ditch and armpit. I'd try to position the derm edges to avoid these areas when possible.

One patch is in a mobile area but the other 3 are on pretty solid areas of skin, have you had it through the tattoo? If you have layered the saniderm

One patch is in a mobile area but the other 3 are on pretty solid areas of skin, have you had it through the tattoo? If you have layered the saniderm

I've never had it happen through the tattoo. For me it always seemed like the issue was movement at the edges.

• 2 weeks later...

Im getting my left knee tattooed this thursday and plan on giving tegaderm a try, my partner had an operation and has some left over sheets. I probably wouldn't bother using it but as I work in a sewage treatment plant it wouldn't be hard to get some nasties on my fresh open skin. Going to try it before giving my opinion on it

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

long time lurker, first time poster. I've read every page of this topic as this was my first experience with tegaderm. My artist applied a piece about 15 minutes after my piece was completed. After about 15 hours it was leaking EVERYWHERE ( he didn't leave enough space around the outside so an edge popped up and it was downhill from there) so I removed the original piece and went an bought a new one to place on it. I got my tattoo Wednesday (11th) and its now Saturday. I just removed the cover after the 3 days and it has immediately begun to peel and has become very dry. I'm just wondering if this is normal? Should i leave it for 24 hours before I apply any lotion? This is my first piece thats not font, so I am new to this kind of healing process. Also, any tips for bruising? I have a real nice bruise right along the inside of my thigh where the tattoo ends, it hurts like a bitch!

Hey everyone,

long time lurker, first time poster. I've read every page of this topic as this was my first experience with tegaderm. My artist applied a piece about 15 minutes after my piece was completed. After about 15 hours it was leaking EVERYWHERE ( he didn't leave enough space around the outside so an edge popped up and it was downhill from there) so I removed the original piece and went an bought a new one to place on it. I got my tattoo Wednesday (11th) and its now Saturday. I just removed the cover after the 3 days and it has immediately begun to peel and has become very dry. I'm just wondering if this is normal? Should i leave it for 24 hours before I apply any lotion? This is my first piece thats not font, so I am new to this kind of healing process. Also, any tips for bruising? I have a real nice bruise right along the inside of my thigh where the tattoo ends, it hurts like a bitch!

Bruising is normal, peeling is normal. I like to keep mine lotioned after the first week. I scab up during the peely phase if I don't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've done several gym sessions with the derm applied. I've found that sweating isn't a big deal, but it's been important to bleed the gym juice out of it. If not I start to get a rash as mentioned previously.

If it's an option, I found it best just to stick to lifting during healing phase just to minimize the issue.

I used the -derm for the first time a couple weeks ago on a large upper arm piece. The work was just black fill in and shading but still quite a bit of coverage.

I had my artist put the -derm on as soon as he was finished and had cleaned/dried the area thoroughly. WOW...what a crazy feeling of security and relief the -derm gave me. The area didn't swell and was only mildly warm to the touch. I went to bed that night and actually slept on the area without even feeling it or having zero discomfort. It was such a different experience than any other post-tattoo session I've ever had, especially coverage on a larger area.

I left the -derm for 3 1/2 days, and only had a couple areas pool up (but not excessively) and 1 near leak (because of the edge of the -derm being too close to the tattoo) that was easy to correct. It was removed SLOWLY in the warm shower, and like many other comments, basically in the sunburn peel phase. There were absolutely NO scabs formed and all of the peeling areas were tender but soft and manageable. Normal regiment after taking the -derm off and within a week of getting the work, looked and felt completely healed.

Using this stuff has been, by far, the easiest post tattoo experience I've ever had. The next piece I get will be another large coverage area with full color and I won't hesitate to use it again. I may take the advice of the many comments before and wait until the next day to apply the -derm.

While I haven't read every single post on this thread, I think I may be one of the only people that respond with "meh.... I didn't love it".

I've had all kinds of tattoo healing experiences, from extreme scabbing, to an infection, and even some really easy healing! So I figured I'd try something that so many people seem to love. My artist warned me that I might not like it, but that some people love it.

I DID like having it on for the first evening/night just so that I didn't leak everywhere, but after that I found it to be a little irritating. It might have been psychological, but I felt like my new tattoo needed to "breathe". Part of the issue might have been the area - my last session was a first round of color on a half-sleeve from the back of my shoulder down to my elbow, so the Tatuderm made my entire right arm feel pretty constricted. In total I had the derm on for 2.5 days, but I took it off each night for a little "breather". At this point (Saturday afternoon- got tattooed on Wednesday) I've taken it off for good. Hurt like hell to take it off, but my fresh tattoo feels and looks good.

I can see how people that need to be a dirty environment would really benefit from using a product like this, and maybe if my tattoo were smaller or in more of a flat spot I would have liked it better.